Fresh Fruit Filling

Decorating By SGTSweetsCakery Updated 9 Nov 2009 , 2:53am by prterrell

SGTSweetsCakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SGTSweetsCakery Posted 8 Nov 2009 , 10:51pm
post #1 of 3

Okay so I want to make a white cake with a vanilla whip and fresh raspberry layer in the middle. Is it better to use frozen raspberries or fresh? How can I freeze it? Will the cake become soggy if the raspberries defrost? It just sounds so delicous that I really don't care how it turns out but I'm sure my friends want it both ways! icon_razz.gif

Thanks!
Mandy

2 replies
confectionsofahousewife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
confectionsofahousewife Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 12:25am
post #2 of 3

I've never used raspberries, just strawberries but I don't see why it would be different. You can use fresh or frozen, which ever you prefer. Not sure what you mean by how can you freeze it. The cake? When I have used strawberries I let them sit in sugar for a little bit so there is some syrup and then I just scoop up the pieces and put them on the cake. I figure the syrup soaking into the cake makes it more moist! I think there was another thread on this not too long ago. Here it is, not too many replies but maybe it will be helpful.

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-658231-.html

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 2:53am
post #3 of 3

Cakes containing a fresh fruit filling can NOT be frozen. The liquid (juice) inside the fresh fruit freezes, forming jagged ice crystals which puncture the cells walls of the fruit. When the cake is defrosted, all the juice from the fruit will leak out, causing the cake to be a soggy mess.

Cooked fruit fillings can be frozen, however.

If you are really wanting to freeze this cake, I recommend either using Dickinson brand seedless raspberry jam/preserves as the raspberry filling OR cooking your own raspberry filling (using thawed, frozen raspberries for this would be fine) using raspberries, sugar, and lemon juice, making sure to cook until nice and thick!

HTH!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%