Is Anyone As Exhausted As I Am?

Business By loriemoms Updated 16 Nov 2009 , 5:10pm by alvarezmom

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 8 Nov 2009 , 11:29am
post #1 of 37

I dont want to sound like a complainer, but man I am tired! Wedding season still hasn't ended for me, and we are now getting all these holiday requests orders. Every single day my schedule is me getting up at 3 am, working till 11 PM and this includes Saturdays and Sundays. I took few days off a couple of weeks ago, but I am still wore out! Ok, so I went looking for help. I figured if I take in one extra cake a week, I can afford help. After many many disasters, I FINALLY have someone who helps crumb coat, and decorate party cakes She is very good and has saved me from having to Say NO to every body who calls. I decorate all the wedding cakes, as they are so specific to what the bride wanted. Sometimes she will do the piping for me if its like the old fashion Cs and S's or swiss dots. I tried to hire someone to do baking and the torting and filling part (which just takes so long)but I had such problems with people torting and filing (dont have the skill and nobody seems to care that maybe the person DIDN T want strawberry mousse?) that I do that myself. I also do all my baking. (I tried different people to bake and again, nobody wants to do it. I had one girl say to me But there are 15 steps in this recipe!. Unemployment rates are crazy, but people dont want to work hard! One girl I had for two weeks and she was upset becasue she had to stand all day. I think she thought it was like ace of cakes and everyone laughs and plays with gumpaste all day. So I am happy to have my decorator, she is my god send. I keep looking for that baker..(and yes, I had several culinary students..wow, what a disaster that was!)

weekends? I spend Saturdays on deliveries and I spend Sundays doing consultations. I even have someone working the office for me a couple of days a week to keep things under control. The business is just busting at the seams and I realize that it is the nature of the beast to have to work this many hours. I just want to know how you deal with the exhaustion. There are some days where all I think about is I wonder what it is like to go to bed and sleep for 8-10 hours. Or maybe just sit and watch the tv or read a book. I thought November-December it would quiet down but we are as booked up as we were in June. And I already have 45 weddings booked for 2010 and things are just starting to roll! Do I just learn to live on 3 hours a sleep a day, 7 days a week? How do you cope when you look in the mirror and go Oh, more grey hair and realize its the permament buttercream in your hair. Or how you look at everything and wonder how you can make it into a cake and don't know how to talk about anything else? (I dont watch any cake shows on tv anymore...I am so sick of the same silly stuff!) I had a day a couple of weeks ago where I said to my husband We are Going out to eat because I haven't left the house in two weeks. So how do you cope?

Anyway, thanks for listening. back to work for me! (have been up stil 2 am today...)

36 replies
Nchanted1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nchanted1 Posted 8 Nov 2009 , 12:08pm
post #2 of 37

Would it be possible to invest in some equipment that will make life easier? A bigger mixer that makes 20 lbs of buttercream at once? An oven that bakes 10 layers at once? A fondant sheeter?

It sounds as though you have enough business to make such things cost effective, and they would save you a ton of time. Also, how about hiring someone just to clean up? When I get as busy as you THAT'S going to be my first investment.

YOU HAVE GOT TO SCHEDULE SOME REST FOR YOURSELF. If you don't, you will get sick. Then where will your business be? The body can only go so long, then it will insist on rest, usually by collapsing in a public place.

wespam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wespam Posted 8 Nov 2009 , 12:25pm
post #3 of 37

Congratulations, you have worked yourself into a total frenzy. My advice, given from my own personal experience, it's time to make some tough decisions. Sounds like your trying to run a bakery by yourself which is impossible. Are you a bakery or a custom cake shop? If your a bakery, you have to get more help, if your a custom cake shop raise your prices and specialize in special occasion and wedding cakes. You have to give yourself permission to turn down every single person that calls. You can't do it all. You will cut down on your work load but still be making the same money and in some cases more. Your cakes are beautiful. If your a bakery, then be deligent about training and finding help. Your health depends on it, let alone your family. Pam from Bama

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 8 Nov 2009 , 2:17pm
post #4 of 37

Sometimes she will do the piping for me if its like the old fashion Cs and S's or swiss dots.

icon_confused.gif old fashion?
Geesh, I call these "the new modern craze decorations"! icon_lol.gif

I agree that maybe some larger and/or more tools might be in order. I have a 20-qt and being able to make 15+ lbs of icing at one shot is AWESOME! What would take me 6 batches in a KA is done inside of 10 minutes!

I had to bake a 5 tier hexagon cake this past weekend. I only have 1 set of hex pans, so I had to bake, wash pans, bake. Never realized how SPOILED I was by having multiple pans and a big oven so I could bake sometimes two whole wedding cakes at one time! Geesh, I could never go back to the "one or two at a time" system like I used to!

This past weekend was a "I'm so freakin' tired!" weekend (details here: http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-
ftopicp-6617036-.html#6617036 ). A total of about 8 hours JUST cooking chicken! This is a good example of how larger equipment is a blessing: 8 hours of cooking time on a comm'l stove using 3 comm'l skillets. Can you imagine how much time it would have taken, one skillet at a time at home? icon_eek.gif

Congrats on building yourself to exhaustion! thumbs_up.gif Growing pains hurt sometimes, but they are a good thing.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 8 Nov 2009 , 4:09pm
post #5 of 37

I work out of my home, and I'm with you on the exhaustion thing. I think that I've been in the kitchen every waking hour since September. Whenever anyone tells me "that's a good problem to have" I want to smack them! icon_twisted.gif

It was like this last year, too, though. I usually get so disgusted by mid-October I just block off my calendar for the rest of the year and say that I'm not taking any more business than what I already have on the books. Wedding season goes longer than May and June now, and I always forget that October is busier than those months.

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 8 Nov 2009 , 4:24pm
post #6 of 37

I am SO HAPPPY you posted this. It gives all those people who want to start a business a little reality insite & thats it's not all "Ace of Cakes". I'm not sure if your at home or in a bakery, but I can only speek for at home. So, I have 3 under 3 and I haven't had a full night sleep in....oh, about 3 1/2 years. We all know the need to got to the bathroom every 15 minutes while pregnant and then the baby comes and now she is sleeping through the night, but did I mention I'm pregnant again! Oh yeah, she is now sleeping through the night, but guess what? YUP! Her he comes, baby number three. And he insist on sleeping with us & tossing & turning, & baby number 2 still wakes up ever so often if she looses her pacifier! So, yeah, I might be a little tired. It can be done. You can scale back. You can keep looking for help. It is out there...though you will have to go through a few to find the right one. Don't give up. There is a reason I don't have a website, I only want so much business. Most people hear from me word of mouth & get a pretty business card. I like it. Believe me, we could use the money, I just can't take on 5 wedding cakes EVERY weekend. Don't give up & keep your head up. You'll find the help you need or you may need to say, you know that word...NO! icon_smile.gif

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 8 Nov 2009 , 4:26pm
post #7 of 37

I would say that I wish I had all those wedding cake orders LOL but I don't wanna be smacked! icon_lol.gif

You could always raise prices, do less work for the same money....step up the budgets of your customer base. I don't end up with hardly any sheet cakes or round bakery style single layer cakes because my minimum per serving cost is quite higher than buying those types at a regular bakery.

My business is growing, but VERY VERY slowly.....not sure if its all the competition in my area or what. I did sign up for a bridal show for early next year so maybe that will help (I have a very hard time getting to those around here, both because of cost, and how they are scheduled.)

Congrats!!!!! thumbs_up.gif

DDiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DDiva Posted 8 Nov 2009 , 4:44pm
post #8 of 37

Wow--I agree with the other posters. You have built yourself a wonderful case of exhaustion; but I understand. I ran my business from home for 8 years, I've been in a commercial space for almost 4 yrs. Growth is a monster until you learn what you want and need. My business literally grew too large to be at home, and it was a blessing. When I move for what will be the THIRD time in 3 years before the end of the year it will be back to a live/work situation (these last two moves were not my idea). But I learned what I wanted and needed: I like the convenience and cost effectiveness of live/work, but you have to have a separation of home and work, and I've finally found the space that accommodates that. You have to invest in the equipment that makes the job easier and more manageable. Debi's right, with a 20 qt. mixer things happen much faster.
I had 4 tiered cakes this week and 3 smaller ones. Without that mixer and my commercial oven (thank you DeLuxe) I'd STILL be in the kitchen. The long hours happen. Weds. & Thurs. were 12 hr days. Friday was a 17 hour day for me and I was back at the shop yesterday by 8AM. The day ended at 5. I'm writing this sitting in my bed. You have to find time for yourself. Your mind & body can only take so much.

cakenutz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakenutz Posted 8 Nov 2009 , 4:52pm
post #9 of 37

Where do you live? Maybe someone on here would know someone in your area that could help.

Mensch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mensch Posted 8 Nov 2009 , 4:55pm
post #10 of 37

Raise your prices considerably. You'll do half as much work for the same amount of money.

Any and all equipment that saves time is a worthwhile investment. I have a standing mixer that takes both a 10 liter and a 20 liter bowl. I can make icing for the week in about an hour. I can make a huge batch of filling in half an hour and freeze half of it. I can make batter for a large amount of layers all at once.

That commercial dishwasher that costs so much? Well, it doesn't cost so much after all when you think that the program only takes two minutes compared with an hour or more with a regular 'home' appliance.

Many sets of pans so you don't have stop the rythm of your work day just to wash pans.

Commercial oven. My commercial oven isn't that big (I'm saving for a larger one), but I can still bake ten 10" rounds at one time ( and even more layers if I have lots of six-inchers and eight-inchers).

scionmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scionmom Posted 8 Nov 2009 , 4:56pm
post #11 of 37

If I was close to you I would certainly love to work with you!!!! Good luck and take some time to breath and maybe go get a mani and pedi!

Mencked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mencked Posted 8 Nov 2009 , 5:19pm
post #12 of 37

Amen to the commercial equipment! I recently moved my cake life into my cake kitchen (separate building across the driveway, totally legal and licensed now). However, I still have a full-time job because while my business is growing, it's still not consistent enough to give up the steady paycheck. However, October very nearly killed me icon_smile.gif! If I hadn't had the 20-qt. mixer and deluxe oven, there is a very good chance that I would have had to be committed. Between my full-time job, kid's school activities and multiple wedding cakes and other events and cakes ....whew.....I am so thankful for the busy times, but equally thankful for the down times. Now it's slowed down for me for a bit and I'm feeling a bit low for not having much on the books right now. However a bridal show in January should help that out a bit!

loriemoms Posted 8 Nov 2009 , 5:45pm
post #13 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nchanted1

Would it be possible to invest in some equipment that will make life easier? A bigger mixer that makes 20 lbs of buttercream at once? An oven that bakes 10 layers at once? A fondant sheeter?

It sounds as though you have enough business to make such things cost effective, and they would save you a ton of time. Also, how about hiring someone just to clean up? When I get as busy as you THAT'S going to be my first investment.

YOU HAVE GOT TO SCHEDULE SOME REST FOR YOURSELF. If you don't, you will get sick. Then where will your business be? The body can only go so long, then it will insist on rest, usually by collapsing in a public place.

I have a large commericial oven (can bake two three tiered wedding cakes in it!) so I can get all my baking done in one day, which is great! I also have a 20 quart mixer...we make 5-8 batches of buttercream a week in that sucker, but it also helps a lot with the baking. I have been debating hiring someone to clean...have no idea what they charge or what I should budget for. You are correct though, I am afraid of this affecting my health. I aint so spring chicken and I know it will catch up wtih me one day!

loriemoms Posted 8 Nov 2009 , 5:56pm
post #14 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDiva

Wow--I agree with the other posters. You have built yourself a wonderful case of exhaustion; but I understand. I ran my business from home for 8 years, I've been in a commercial space for almost 4 yrs. Growth is a monster until you learn what you want and need. My business literally grew too large to be at home, and it was a blessing. When I move for what will be the THIRD time in 3 years before the end of the year it will be back to a live/work situation (these last two moves were not my idea). But I learned what I wanted and needed: I like the convenience and cost effectiveness of live/work, but you have to have a separation of home and work, and I've finally found the space that accommodates that. You have to invest in the equipment that makes the job easier and more manageable. Debi's right, with a 20 qt. mixer things happen much faster.
I had 4 tiered cakes this week and 3 smaller ones. Without that mixer and my commercial oven (thank you DeLuxe) I'd STILL be in the kitchen. The long hours happen. Weds. & Thurs. were 12 hr days. Friday was a 17 hour day for me and I was back at the shop yesterday by 8AM. The day ended at 5. I'm writing this sitting in my bed. You have to find time for yourself. Your mind & body can only take so much.

I have a deluxe oven too, (the four rack) and I LOVE IT. I cannot image living without it. A normal week for me is 6-8 weddings and 4-5 sculpted cakes. We do not do sheet cakes, or little cakes with roses and Happy Birthday John on them, you know what I am talking about. I raised my prices and raised my prices...I took a cake order this week that I didnt really want, so I told her 500.00 for it. She said no problem. I think a lot of it our area has a lot of bakeries that are only doing weddings, and then these "craigs list" bakeries that we call them, that are charging 1.75 a serving for a wilton pan cake. (not even sure if they are legal) There aren't many people in the area that are doing really good sculpted cakes. I would say 60% of my business is from word of mouth. I am constantly told that my cakes also just taste too good so maybe I should let my cakes dry out al ittle or something (hahaha)

I am dying to get into a commerical space, but its been a long uphil climb. banks arent loaning money, our laws in our area require no matter what that we are called a restaurant, and the costs are sky high. I dont have much more space left to hire another decorator but I will keep trying to find someone to bake cakes. Would be nice

Deb, I know the feeling with Hexagon! haah! I dont get enough Hex pan orders to really buy more then one set of pans (I have two of each) But I do have about 500 pans. You should see the sink at the end of a baking day!

Anyway, I understand what everyone is saying. (I wish I coudl afford a sheeter.dont do enough fondant work to warrent its cost) but I do have the big equipment..if I ever get into the commerical space, I hope to get a second oven. Maybe even a third.

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 8 Nov 2009 , 5:59pm
post #15 of 37

icon_lol.gif LOL! I love it! The "craig's list" bakeries! A new word to add to my baker's dictionary!

tara22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tara22 Posted 8 Nov 2009 , 9:20pm
post #16 of 37

i am so glad you posted this! i just recently opened a cake shop and have been doing it all myself! i work 7 days a week and towards the end of the week i am pulling 17-18 hour days, getting 4 hours of sleep and doing it all over the next day. two weeks ago i started feeling bad and lost my voice(i had 3 wedding consults!!!) i stayed sick for 9 days and finally took 2 hours off to visit the doctor! diagnosis: serious sinus infection that had caused my throat to become severly swollen and raw for 9+days! prescription: antibiotics,decongestants and 2 days of rest and no talking! YEAH RIGHT!!.....were those wedding cakes and halloween orders going to bake themselves? this was the first time that i thought......"what have i done"?

and on top of that, everyone seems to think that i have it made in the shade because I am my own boss!! ugh
the only thing i have realized about being my own boss is that i work harder than i ever have and somehow i have less money than i ever had!!

i am so glad that you guys can relate!!

zdebssweetsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zdebssweetsj Posted 8 Nov 2009 , 10:21pm
post #17 of 37

Does anyone know if Delux makes large ovens that will run on 220. I wouldn't be able to
rewire my home for the commercial models.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 8 Nov 2009 , 11:15pm
post #18 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by zdebssweetsj

Does anyone know if Delux makes large ovens that will run on 220. I wouldn't be able to

I know I have seen ads for oven that just plug into a home kitchen outlet. I'll try to find the magz with the info.....

jlsheik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlsheik Posted 8 Nov 2009 , 11:34pm
post #19 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by tara22

i am so glad you posted this! i just recently opened a cake shop and have been doing it all myself! i work 7 days a week and towards the end of the week i am pulling 17-18 hour days, getting 4 hours of sleep and doing it all over the next day. two weeks ago i started feeling bad and lost my voice(i had 3 wedding consults!!!) i stayed sick for 9 days and finally took 2 hours off to visit the doctor! diagnosis: serious sinus infection that had caused my throat to become severly swollen and raw for 9+days! prescription: antibiotics,decongestants and 2 days of rest and no talking! YEAH RIGHT!!.....were those wedding cakes and halloween orders going to bake themselves? this was the first time that i thought......"what have i done"?

and on top of that, everyone seems to think that i have it made in the shade because I am my own boss!! ugh
the only thing i have realized about being my own boss is that i work harder than i ever have and somehow i have less money than i ever had!!

i am so glad that you guys can relate!!

Hello...clone of me...I opened Aril 1st and feel like you just wrote an ad about me!!! I feel your pain....so glad I am NOT the only one out there!

sewgratefulquilts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sewgratefulquilts Posted 8 Nov 2009 , 11:51pm
post #20 of 37

While I don't have a cake business, (just do it for family, friends, and as my recreation), I do have a longarm quilting business. It got to a point that I had to ask myself if I was "earning a living" or "earning a dying." Exhaustion hurts you and the people you love. I then learned how to say "No, I can't do that." I'm happier, business is good but not crazy, and the income is sufficient.

Just a thought.

loriemoms Posted 8 Nov 2009 , 11:54pm
post #21 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by zdebssweetsj

Yes, they run on 220, but you have to have a special wire run from your box...I had an electrician do it and it was like 300 bucks to do. No big deal. You cant plug it into any outlet...but the nice thing it doesnt require a hood! A word of warning, dont have it near a smoke detector..will set it off sometimes! hahaha!

snarkybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snarkybaker Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 3:16am
post #22 of 37

1- Schedule your self a day off. I would suggest Monday. Do NOTHING on Mondays that is business related. Hire somebody to answer the phones for you on the Monday.

2- I hate to say I told you so,( actually I don't) but when you asked about the Wake Tech interns I told you they were problematic. Post an internship on Johnston and Wales board. I have good luck with my Johnston and Wales interns. Just make sure they have taken cake decorating 2 before you take them on, or they don't know jack.

3- Consolidate your consults. Only do them on 2 Sundays a month instead of every Sunday. Brides are booking ahead anyway. One week won't make a difference.

4-Make sure that your HOA and neighborhood zoning ALLOW for you to run the kind of business that has regular, long term employees coming into your house. Most don't.

5- If you need to work less, you need to raise your prices. You are at $3.75 including fondant and gumpaste flowers. For pete sake I charge twice that and we are in the same market. We are still so booked that 5 of my staff are in the 100 hour club. ( Working over 100 hours in a pay period- I buy them a tee shirt that says " prisoner of Camp Cupcake")

6- I am going to suggest that you do book some smaller cakes. Those are the cakes you give to your assistant to practice on. If you book 3 $50 -$80 birthday cakes, it goes a long way toward paying her $10 and hour.

7- To train a baker, you give them 1 recipe at a time. Hand them a brand new notebook that fits in the pocket of their apron and tell them " When I am talking, you are writing until you know everything that I know" The first two days, my new assistants do nothing but inventory the kitchen ( they learn where things are) and make buttercream. The second two days they make batter. Usually the chocolate 1 st because it is the easiest. They make 3 to 4 batches. Then the vanilla. etc...

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 3:22am
post #23 of 37

loriemoms, where are you located? Sounds like you are around my old neck of the woods...I grew up between Smithfield and Clayton.

Too bad I'm not still living up there, if that's where you are, baking is my THING.

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 4:01am
post #24 of 37

There is so much necessary information in this thread. Just wanted to pipe in and say that I wish I was closer too. I'd love to work for you.

loriemoms Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 4:05pm
post #25 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by snarkybaker

1- Schedule your self a day off. I would suggest Monday. Do NOTHING on Mondays that is business related. Hire somebody to answer the phones for you on the Monday.

2- I hate to say I told you so,( actually I don't) but when you asked about the Wake Tech interns I told you they were problematic. Post an internship on Johnston and Wales board. I have good luck with my Johnston and Wales interns. Just make sure they have taken cake decorating 2 before you take them on, or they don't know jack.

3- Consolidate your consults. Only do them on 2 Sundays a month instead of every Sunday. Brides are booking ahead anyway. One week won't make a difference.

4-Make sure that your HOA and neighborhood zoning ALLOW for you to run the kind of business that has regular, long term employees coming into your house. Most don't.

5- If you need to work less, you need to raise your prices. You are at $3.75 including fondant and gumpaste flowers. For pete sake I charge twice that and we are in the same market. We are still so booked that 5 of my staff are in the 100 hour club. ( Working over 100 hours in a pay period- I buy them a tee shirt that says " prisoner of Camp Cupcake")

6- I am going to suggest that you do book some smaller cakes. Those are the cakes you give to your assistant to practice on. If you book 3 $50 -$80 birthday cakes, it goes a long way toward paying her $10 and hour.

7- To train a baker, you give them 1 recipe at a time. Hand them a brand new notebook that fits in the pocket of their apron and tell them " When I am talking, you are writing until you know everything that I know" The first two days, my new assistants do nothing but inventory the kitchen ( they learn where things are) and make buttercream. The second two days they make batter. Usually the chocolate 1 st because it is the easiest. They make 3 to 4 batches. Then the vanilla. etc...

Thanks for the suggestions....I tried one wake tech student and never again, so no i am not going that route. Currently I am only talking to experience people, who can jump right in as i dont have time to train

I get so many requests (10-25 a week) for consultations and am booking about 75%. I do take a sunday off a month, from consults but it is usually spent playing catchup.

The 3.75 a serving is a special we have going right now to kick start the spring. It ends at the end of next month. My normal price is 4.00 a serving for a plain buttercream cake. Fondant cakes are 4.75 and gumpaste additions run from 15-100.00 We do little animals and such on cakes and charge 15.00 for each animal. We call other bakeries in the area all the time and this is pretty much what the average is for the area. Cinda is the top home baker in our area and she is only charging 4.05 a serving. Swank has been on TV, has the most beautiful cakes in the area, if not in the US, and their prices are also in the 4.00 range. If you are getting twice that, then that is terrific. (not sure where your bakery is) I don't think home bakers can get that kind of pricing. So I am happy with what I charge for wedding cakes. And wedding cakes take very little time, its amazing to me how much more time it takes to make a celebration cake. most of my celebration cakes cost more then a wedding cake would cost. (5-8 dollars a serving) People arent coming to us because we are cheap, as many think. (we get a lot of people who say Whoa, that is too much and dont order the cake) I dont want to raise the prices so much that we have no orders at all! I am not doing this because I need to suplment my income. this IS my income. I have a mortgage to pay, food to put into my families mouth, insurance, (and I am SOO sick of people thinking home business dont pay insurance amd dont have overhead!) licensing fees, payment on the van, HUGE electric bills (500 a month) and phone bills, gas bills, and since I am self employed, health insurance that is NUTS.

We already checked with our HOA...as a matter of fact, there are a huge amount of home businesses in our development. There is a girl who does cheesecakes right up the street. A guy behind me sells personilized items for businesses from his home. A ton of web developers with employees helping them. As long as the neighbors dont mind, we have no signs, we dont have any kind of traffic, then everything is fine.. We have an extra long driveway and we dont take up street parking. There is a guy who has this HUGE truck for bathroom inserts and the HOA is allowing him to keep it in his driveway, so I dont worry about it..

My assistant worked at a major bakery (not walmart, but one inside the beltline which name I wont mention) in our area for 5 years, and is way beyond the simple 80 dollar cake. But that is a good idea when I hire someone else when we get into commerical space who needs to learn.

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 5:40pm
post #26 of 37

What are you guys doing to get this kind of business?! Since I went completely legal, my orders have completely dropped off. I get a few but I get more that call, want something special then never call back. I had an appt with a lady last night to finalize details and she calls and needs to cancel. It's just frustrating. I'm advertising, people are recommending me but then very few people order. The only things I've had for the last few weeks are sheet cakes. I'm taking just about anything that comes in right now but it's just frustrating. My prices are in line with the other custom bakeries in town. Are you guys doing anything special for advertising? Where is most of your business coming from?

Mensch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mensch Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 5:59pm
post #27 of 37

What are all these consultations? Are you doing consultations for all cakes? If so, stop it. Do consultations for wedding cakes only, or party cakes for more than 100 servings. Otherwise you'll kill yourself.

Mencked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mencked Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 6:05pm
post #28 of 37

Tracy, i hear you!!! I had a crazy busy Oct., but now things have fallen off. Just a couple of cakes scheduled each week for the next few weeks. I think we both became legal at about the same time so maybe, we just need to be patient and let word of mouth continue... My DH always says "It's the little cakes that get the big cakes....."

travelingcakeplate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
travelingcakeplate Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 8:31pm
post #29 of 37

Happy that you are growing. Sorry that you are stressed. I guess I am part of the problem. I have referred 3 would be clients to you because I am trying to manage my family, a separate full-time job, a small cake business and graduate school.

So when mid-terms came around, I had to turn down 6 ordersicon_sad.gif I sent you 3 and 3 to someone else because you have such great reviews.

Get some rest and it's OK to say no sometimes. Rejuvenation is the key to longevity.

loriemoms Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 9:45pm
post #30 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mensch

What are all these consultations? Are you doing consultations for all cakes? If so, stop it. Do consultations for wedding cakes only, or party cakes for more than 100 servings. Otherwise you'll kill yourself.

Oh I agree...I only do consultations for Weddings over 100 servings and 100 serving party cakes. Last year we about 130 weddings, so that is a lot of consultations!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%