Want To Get A Little Business Going At Home But...

Business By confectionsofahousewife Updated 8 Nov 2009 , 4:22am by leah_s

confectionsofahousewife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
confectionsofahousewife Posted 8 Nov 2009 , 3:04am
post #1 of 4

I would like to start selling more cakes but my husband is a bit of a... hindrance. I can't do anything full time (our kids are 4, 2, and 1) but I can realistically complete at least one cake per week, maybe two if they're not too complex. My problem is this: my husband. He does not like that fact that the baking/decorating takes time away from him (I get that). He is also concerned about me getting sued if I poison someone! He's a lawyer. Yay. Questions for those of you who bake from home:
Do you have an llc, business license, insurance, etc.?
How do I know what the rules are for baking in a home kitchen here in MO?
Any suggestions for getting a real small, part-time, home business going would be appreciated. TIA

3 replies
CutiePieCakes-Ontario Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CutiePieCakes-Ontario Posted 8 Nov 2009 , 3:23am
post #2 of 4

You need to research the city/county where you are, as they vary from place to place. Some states (or provinces, in my case) have general laws, but usually home based businesses are covered by the local or regional government.

Since your DH is a lawyer, he should be able to head you in the right direction.

Good luck.

KathysCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathysCC Posted 8 Nov 2009 , 4:04am
post #3 of 4

I'd recommend searching the business forum for information on this subject. There are lots of threads discussing these issues.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 8 Nov 2009 , 4:22am
post #4 of 4

Go to the Business Forum as suggested and look a the sticky at the top. You'll find what the laws are for your state.

I *am* inspected, licensed, incorporated and insured.

Quote by @%username% on %date%