Dying Fondant

Decorating By AmandaKate Updated 8 Nov 2009 , 2:13am by bettinashoe

AmandaKate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmandaKate Posted 8 Nov 2009 , 1:58am
post #1 of 3

Hi All,

I was just wondering if your supposed to wear gloves when you are kneading dye into fondant?

I made some red fondant today and just used my hands and now I look like I murdered someone.

If you use gloves, is there some special food service type of gloves that don't smell like rubber (I figure that flavor will rub off on the fondant.....YUCK!)

Also......any tips to get the dye off your hands??? icon_rolleyes.gif

Thanks a bunch! thumbs_up.gif

2 replies
Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 8 Nov 2009 , 2:13am
post #2 of 3

Few tips:

Lube your hands with Crisco before kneading color into fondant. The color then washes right off.

Gloves: use nitrile gloves (available at any drug store, Wal-Mart, etc) or food-service gloves. No latex gloves!

Stained hands: oftentimes, shampooing is all it takes for color to be removed from your skin. Your hair acts as an abrasive and the shampoo cuts the color. Go give yourself a vigorous shampooing! icon_smile.gif

bettinashoe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bettinashoe Posted 8 Nov 2009 , 2:13am
post #3 of 3

Welcome to the world of coloring fondant! It helps to wear gloves for the darker colors, but I usually forget to do so. I have food service gloves (which are bulky) and also use latex-free ones. I have not found anything, except time and a lot of washing, to remove the dye from under the fingernails. I almost always have "colorful" hands.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%