I Think Im Done With Mmf......

Decorating By cathie_shinnick Updated 8 Nov 2009 , 4:00am by happy1mom

cathie_shinnick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cathie_shinnick Posted 7 Nov 2009 , 11:58pm
post #1 of 14

.....I delivered a cake today, that I have to admit, I was not too happy with. The client loved it as well as her daughter ( A sweet 16 cake). Three tier 12-10-8. Cakes turned out great, fillings/great, buttercream, perfectly smooth. The fondant looked like crap (to me). I made MMF as I always do , but for some reason it was so streatchy. I had problems with bubbles, I have never had bubbles in or under my MMF. I have to say I did smooth it and get all of the bubbles out. My sister saw the cake and thougt it was great. (We are our worst critic)Anyway, I want to try to make a different fondant maybe MFF. Any advice? Which is your favorite fondant recipe.

13 replies
lchristi27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lchristi27 Posted 8 Nov 2009 , 12:05am
post #2 of 14

Have you tried Mac's Mom's Version? I found it so much easier to work with, TONS easier to make too. It's great if your going for homemade. I do admit when I can afford it I'll buy Satin Ice, that stuff is the bomb.

OfficerMorgan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OfficerMorgan Posted 8 Nov 2009 , 12:10am
post #3 of 14

MMF is complete junk.

whit6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
whit6 Posted 8 Nov 2009 , 12:14am
post #4 of 14

I love working with MMF and the only probllem iv had with it was when i tried to add cocoa powder...bad idea. Other than that it covers so well for me and is cheap cheap cheap!

dailey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dailey Posted 8 Nov 2009 , 12:14am
post #5 of 14

i used mmf quite often. i've tried others but i keep coming back to it cause its so darn easy to make! at any rate, michelle fosters is very good if you want to try a homemade one.

rvercher23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rvercher23 Posted 8 Nov 2009 , 12:33am
post #6 of 14

Did you let it set over night? If I dont let me mmf set overnight, it is very stretchy.

luvmysmoother Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvmysmoother Posted 8 Nov 2009 , 12:37am
post #7 of 14

MMF is definitely easier to use a day after. I always tried in the past to make "fresh" mmf and make it the same day as I used it - sometimes it was ok but many times I had icing pebbles, air bubbles, stretchy soft fondant etc - using it a day later or so, nuking it a few seconds just to slightly soften it - easy peasyicon_smile.gif

FullHouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FullHouse Posted 8 Nov 2009 , 12:44am
post #8 of 14

I definitely prefer Michelle Foster's Fondant to MMF. I used to use MMF but one I tried MFF, I never looked back - even left bags of marshmallow to expire b/c I just didn't want to make it anymore.

cathie_shinnick Posted 8 Nov 2009 , 12:57am
post #9 of 14

Yes its cheap cheap cheap, its so easy to make, usually easy to use, I think Im just ready to move on to something else. I would still like to make my own fondant, I think it will be less expensive than buying it pre made.

TeriO Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TeriO Posted 8 Nov 2009 , 12:59am
post #10 of 14

When you make your fondant a day or so ahead do you put it in the fridge or do you let it sit out on the counter?

cakenutz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakenutz Posted 8 Nov 2009 , 1:03am
post #11 of 14

I don't like the taste or workability of mmf after trying Toba Garretts recipe. It's great

cathie_shinnick Posted 8 Nov 2009 , 1:05am
post #12 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakenutz

I don't like the taste or workability of mmf after trying Toba Garretts recipe. It's great

Can I find the recipe here on CC?

cookie_fun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookie_fun Posted 8 Nov 2009 , 3:45am
post #13 of 14

Cathy,

I just made a batch of MMF and MFF this week. Started out usinmg the MMF on a barbie cake and could not get it to smooth right. As I worked it, it kept tearing, and I would end up having to pull it off and try again. After 3 tries I gave up and went to the MFF. It went on no problem, and I was pleased with the results.

I think the MFF is fantastic, and it was easy to use, not hard to make, and not tastes good too.

HTH!

happy1mom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
happy1mom Posted 8 Nov 2009 , 4:00am
post #14 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeriO

When you make your fondant a day or so ahead do you put it in the fridge or do you let it sit out on the counter?

I let mine sit out on the counter top over night. Never had problems with doing it that way.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%