Another Great Article About To Save Money On Cakes

Business By cylstrial Updated 14 Nov 2009 , 3:16am by CutiePieCakes-Ontario

zdebssweetsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zdebssweetsj Posted 8 Nov 2009 , 11:21pm
post #31 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by cylstrial

Here's another one of our favorite topics.

http://articles.directorym.com/Wedding_Cake_on_Budget_Evansville_IN-r1144433-Evansville_IN.html

My favorite part is where they talk about fondant being a hard substance and where your grocery store will be able to offer you some sort of butter cream thing. icon_lol.gif

And let's not forget, that the bride and groom should probably specify what kind of cake and frosting they want. Really?? icon_eek.gif They get a choice? icon_eek.gif I thought it was just whatever was on hand. LOL. icon_lol.gif

I do believe I hurt myself laughing, icon_lol.gif some people just don't get it you pay for what you get.

kaat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaat Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 10:12pm
post #32 of 48

because a wedding cake is "just flour and eggs" (from a previous similar thread)
Like a wedding dress is just material and thread!

sugalips Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugalips Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 10:50pm
post #33 of 48

Hmmmm, if you read the article between where it says "About the Author" and "Related Budget Articles" there are listings for VIP packages, PGA Nat'l resort hotels, luxury hotels and wedding planners. Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't it look odd if a reception at the Ritz had a donut tower??? icon_lol.gificon_confused.gificon_surprised.gificon_cry.gif

jlynnw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlynnw Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 1:05am
post #34 of 48

I so would like to have someone, perhaps indydebi, be the wedding planner for these authors. I would like for her to be well read on how these idiots think things should be done and when the bride pops up with "how tacky" she will be there to refer toher to your own dumba$$ advice. Ya, your grandma can make the wedding dress, your uncle can be the photographer, you SIL can do your cake, your brother can do the flowers and be catered by some friends and the whole thing looks like a family reunion with bad food, bad attire, and ugly flowers you can write about that. I would love to hear all the debism put in place! icon_rolleyes.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 1:11am
post #35 of 48

jlynn, I couldn't have said it more perfect! You pegged it! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

sugarspice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarspice Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 5:14am
post #36 of 48

I would love to see the author of that article on the show "Smarter than a 5th Grader" I am SURE they would lose icon_smile.gif

CutiePieCakes-Ontario Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CutiePieCakes-Ontario Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 4:05pm
post #37 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarspice

I would love to see the author of that article on the show "Smarter than a 5th Grader" I am SURE they would lose icon_smile.gif

Her (or him) and the brides who take the advice. icon_rolleyes.gif

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 4:22pm
post #38 of 48

icon_biggrin.gif
LL

__Jamie__ Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 4:25pm
post #39 of 48

icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif
LL

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 4:29pm
post #40 of 48

My idea of a doughnut stack for a wedding cake!

__Jamie__ Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 4:29pm
post #41 of 48

Ha! I was gonnna post that, now THAT is cute!

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 4:31pm
post #42 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

This was also the wedding where the groom shoved the cake so hard that the bride went crying to the ladies room, followed by her bridesmaids (it reminded of the cartoon version of Cinderella when the stepsisters flounce out of a room, following their stepmother!). Bride was digging cake out of her dress (boobs) with one hand and wiping her eyes with the other.

I heard 2 guests laugh with "Well, THAT honeymoon was over before it started!" icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

I have a cousin who said she found cake and bird seed in her panty hose when getting undressed... icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif I gues we were all a little over enthusiastic. icon_redface.gif

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 5:36pm
post #43 of 48

Actually the only thing I really spent much money on, was the cake. I bought this 4 or 5 tier icing-flower-covered beautifully-piped ecru tower of a cake.
Must have served at least 400. (It's been so long, I really don't remember how many tiers - it was taller than me on the table that's for sure.)

I had less than 75 people at my wedding. icon_biggrin.gif

The baker must have thought we were nuts!
Most people went home with big wedges of our cake as we had planned.

Bunsen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bunsen Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 8:21pm
post #44 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7yyrt

Actually the only thing I really spent much money on, was the cake. I bought this 4 or 5 tier icing-flower-covered beautifully-piped ecru tower of a cake.
Must have served at least 400. (It's been so long, I really don't remember how many tiers - it was taller than me on the table that's for sure.)

I had less than 75 people at my wedding. icon_biggrin.gif

The baker must have thought we were nuts!
Most people went home with big wedges of our cake as we had planned.

Now that's my idea of a good wedding! icon_smile.gif

Denise Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Denise Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 9:57pm
post #45 of 48
Quote:
Quote:

This was also the wedding where the groom shoved the cake so hard that the bride went crying to the ladies room, followed by her bridesmaids (it reminded of the cartoon version of Cinderella when the stepsisters flounce out of a room, following their stepmother!). Bride was digging cake out of her dress (boobs) with one hand and wiping her eyes with the other.

I heard 2 guests laugh with "Well, THAT honeymoon was over before it started!"

That is so sad. My heart hurts for that girl. Shame she married a moron. I had never heard of the "shove the cake in her face" until I remarried. We just had a few people there...one too many...my husband's old bat aunt. We were doing the cake thing and she kept demanding "shove the cake in her face". My husband had enough good sense not to do that...if he had have done so, it would have been one of the shortest marriages on record. I never did like his aunt, heck, he didn't like his aunt. The uncle was an angel but I always told my hubby that Uncle Lee must have done something seriously wrong at some point to have deserved her.

Back to the "get a relative to make/serve the cake"....

My niece got married at 18. She was a total witch and acted like the BIGGEST asinine in Texas. She had literally NO friends...who would have thunk it? I, her early forties aged aunt, got roped into the "house party" to serve cake. (before I started doing cakes - it tasted great whom ever made it) Her uncle on the other side and I were cutting and serving cake (making a few pointed remarks about our very tacky acting niece) while my cousins were all sitting over at the tables having a perfectly lovely time. My cousins were from out of town and I didn't get to see them often. I wasn't a happy camper. I had spent hours the day before decorating and stayed until 11:00 PM undecorating (started at 3:00 PM) all for a very ungrateful brat of a niece that had told my 12 year old son and my sister's 8 year old daughter "y'all are the only cousins NOT in my wedding because I don't like y'all".

Marriage lasted 7 months. Who wooda thunk it?

Dsouza Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dsouza Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 11:26pm
post #46 of 48

My son got married in June '09. My husband and I hosted a marvelous rehearsal dinner and a reception for 250. It was our joy to do this for our only son and his beautiful bride. I'm a frugal person and all about not spending money unnecessarily. IMHO if the bride and groom and/or their parents can't afford to do a large wedding right, then you have a simple, tasteful, elegant small ceremony with a lovely SMALL reception or you go to the county courthouse and find a justice of the peace! There are legitimate ways to cut costs for a wedding that should be explored, but NEVER should you compromise common courtesy and etiquette! And no, I didn't make either of the cakes nor did I ask any of my family/friends to make a cake. This was a special day that I wanted to enjoy with my family and friends. We hired professionals to make the cakes and it was worth every penny and then some! The lady who made the wedding cake was over 80 years old and did she ever do a spectacular BC cake!!! I wonder how many wedding cakes she's decorated over the years!

tararenee29 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tararenee29 Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 12:24am
post #47 of 48

I had a wedding on a small budget, $3000 for everything , and still managed to fit in a prfessionally baked caked. You know where i skimped? on my dress that I wore a few hours and i have never even unzipped the bag it hangs in since my wedding day. I put a good part of our money into a reception for our guests, not just myself, and I still managed to wear a Vera Wang dress and have a cake.

CutiePieCakes-Ontario Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CutiePieCakes-Ontario Posted 14 Nov 2009 , 3:16am
post #48 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denise

{snip}

Back to the "get a relative to make/serve the cake"....

My niece got married at 18. She was a total witch and acted like the BIGGEST asinine in Texas. She had literally NO friends...who would have thunk it? I, her early forties aged aunt, got roped into the "house party" to serve cake. (before I started doing cakes - it tasted great whom ever made it) Her uncle on the other side and I were cutting and serving cake (making a few pointed remarks about our very tacky acting niece) while my cousins were all sitting over at the tables having a perfectly lovely time. My cousins were from out of town and I didn't get to see them often. I wasn't a happy camper. I had spent hours the day before decorating and stayed until 11:00 PM undecorating (started at 3:00 PM) all for a very ungrateful brat of a niece that had told my 12 year old son and my sister's 8 year old daughter "y'all are the only cousins NOT in my wedding because I don't like y'all".

Marriage lasted 7 months. Who wooda thunk it?

If this had been one of my nieces, she would have been slammed up against the nearest wall for treating my child like that ... most likely by whichever of my siblings she is the child of. Since we have such a large family, it's generally expected that younger cousins will not be invited to the reception. I'm surprised you even went after she'd said that.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%