Fondant Tassels

Decorating By Bradymom6 Updated 8 Nov 2009 , 11:37pm by farmersdaughter4

Bradymom6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bradymom6 Posted 7 Nov 2009 , 7:46pm
post #1 of 8

Ok CC'ers, I hope you all don't get tired of my questions but here's another one. How do I make fondant tassels? I don't have any kind of extruder so any help would be appreciated. If anyone knows where I can get some sort of tool that would be great.
Thank you so much!

7 replies
Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 7 Nov 2009 , 8:23pm
post #2 of 8

Hobby Lobby sells the Makin's Ultimate Clay Extruder. It is a godsend for making fondant and gumpaste items like tassels. I've made several for graduation cakes and it took less than 5 minutes.

Go getcha one!

FlourPots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourPots Posted 7 Nov 2009 , 8:40pm
post #3 of 8

Here's some insanely cool instructions (w/ photos), but you will need an extruder...the one Cakepro mentioned is awesome, I have it and love it : http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=624541&highlight=

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 7 Nov 2009 , 11:58pm
post #4 of 8

The clay guns really make the most realistic looking ones...

Jen icon_smile.gif

luvmysmoother Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvmysmoother Posted 8 Nov 2009 , 12:31am
post #5 of 8

If you don't own an extruder you can just roll out your fondant into thin rolls, slice them up, gather them together at one end and squish one of the ends together with your fingers until all the thin rolls are stuck together at one end. I bought an extruder recently but was wondering why it was such a pain to use - thanks for the link to sadsmile's tutorial - very helpfulicon_smile.gificon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 8 Nov 2009 , 12:47am
post #6 of 8

no extruder..?.. garlic press.. that is what maizie parrish teaches.. hth

SweetPea0613 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetPea0613 Posted 8 Nov 2009 , 1:06am
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by icer101

no extruder..?.. garlic press.. that is what maizie parrish teaches.. hth

I used a garlic press for my grad cap cake and it worked just fine.

farmersdaughter4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
farmersdaughter4 Posted 8 Nov 2009 , 11:37pm
post #8 of 8

I've had great success using the garlic press; if you don't have a garlic press, then use a metal strainer. Just press your gumpaste or fondant through the wire grid (normally closer to the handle is stronger and you get more definition to "strings". When you get to the length you want, just use sharp knife and cut at the base of "strings). Clean your strainer right away as it's harder to clean when gumpaste, etc. dries. If it dries, just let it soak in some warm soapy water.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%