Misspelled Birthday?

Business By CakeMommyTX Updated 19 Nov 2009 , 11:54pm by springlakecake

CakeMommyTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommyTX Posted 7 Nov 2009 , 6:03pm
post #1 of 32

I left out the "d" in birthday, do I give a discount or just let it go unless the customer says something?
Here's the cake
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1509813

31 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 7 Nov 2009 , 6:09pm
post #2 of 32

Is there any way you could squeeze the d in...make the a taller, then get a tiny a in between the d (the former a) and the y?

CakeMommyTX Posted 7 Nov 2009 , 6:16pm
post #3 of 32

well I did'nt notice it until after I got home and uploaded the pic of the cake, dropped the cake off at 10am, party is probably over by now ...

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 7 Nov 2009 , 6:20pm
post #4 of 32

Well, if the cake is gone and they haven't mentioned it, don't worry! I wouldn't have noticed it in the picture if you hadn't posted about it, the cake itself is incredible and our brains have a way of filling in the letters we expect to see in certain words. Besides you said you lost money on the cake already, so don't offer a discount unless they mention it and even then not a refund, just a discount on a future order.

Lcubed82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lcubed82 Posted 7 Nov 2009 , 6:20pm
post #5 of 32

I don't know- (not pro) I would think calling would be good. As far as a rebate, you said you already dicounted, then went way beyond expectations. Nothing to do about it now to fix it. If I were the customer, I would have been so thrilled I would not have expected anything because of the mistake.

cathyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cathyscakes Posted 7 Nov 2009 , 6:23pm
post #6 of 32

great cake, isn't it funny how things like that happen. There is something about working so hard on a cake and then not see some flaw until after I look at the pictures. I'm sure the customer won't mind, its such a small part of that cake.

Tee-Y Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tee-Y Posted 7 Nov 2009 , 6:53pm
post #7 of 32

Well what's done's done! Wait and see, but truly the beauty of that cake far outshines the mistake and its only a thoughtless customer that will ask for a refund on such.

poohsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poohsmomma Posted 7 Nov 2009 , 9:55pm
post #8 of 32

Maybe they just thought it fit....after all the Tin Man didn't have a brain, did he???

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 7 Nov 2009 , 10:13pm
post #9 of 32

........Maybe they just thought it fit....Tin Man didn't have a brain, did he???......

Good thought! Good answer if they should say anything about it.

I would off them 10% off on their next order or include something more than what they order - again.

kilikina_24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kilikina_24 Posted 7 Nov 2009 , 10:28pm
post #10 of 32

Well, it sounds like you already went above and beyond and they got way more than they paid for or probably even expected. So, I'm hoping they're decent people who will laugh about it and just enjoy such a great cake! You can apologize and see what they're recaction is...they might not have even noticed. If they're upset, then maybe you can offer a discount on a future cake. After that cake though....I doubt they're going to be upset!

OfficerMorgan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OfficerMorgan Posted 7 Nov 2009 , 10:31pm
post #11 of 32

No, Tin Man didn't have a heart.

I would say wait and see if she contacts you or not. The cake was lovely and well done, despite your snafu. In fact, if she does contact you, just apologize and offer a small percentage off a future cake.

CarrieBear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarrieBear Posted 7 Nov 2009 , 10:51pm
post #12 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeMommyTX

well I did'nt notice it until after I got home and uploaded the pic of the cake, dropped the cake off at 10am, party is probably over by now ...

LOL O-M-G NO way! I did the same thing 2 weeks ago!!!! same exact dam thing Ecept it was the 'H', I was horrified! I uploaded the pics that night, and I freaked out when I saw the wording HAPPY BIRTDAY.

I freaked out and told my mom since it was for her friend at works grandchild. My spoke to her the next monday... she didnt have any Idea what so ever that I spelled it wrong!! No one even noticed..
I pretty much gave that cake away anyway.. I think I made 15$ off it after 15hours of labor...

anyway you arent the only one!!!

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 7 Nov 2009 , 10:55pm
post #13 of 32

That cake is kickin'! My daughter looked at it, read it off and didn't even realize a letter was missing. It's not as noticeable as if it were printed. What a great cake, omg!

shanasweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanasweets Posted 7 Nov 2009 , 11:32pm
post #14 of 32

There is no way you need to discount that cake further. He got far more than he ordered and the d is barely noticable. they can just have a good laugh about it.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 7 Nov 2009 , 11:47pm
post #15 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by OfficerMorgan

I would say wait and see if she contacts you or not. The cake was lovely and well done, despite your snafu. In fact, if she does contact you, just apologize and offer a small percentage off a future cake.

Eeghads I agree with the good OfficerM except Tinman only thought he din have a heart.
...there's no place like home there's no place like home

icon_biggrin.gif

BooBooKitty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BooBooKitty Posted 8 Nov 2009 , 12:06am
post #16 of 32

Oh wow.. what a cake... How many bottles of luster dust did it take? If anyone ask about the missing D, just blame it on those evil flying monkeys..

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 8 Nov 2009 , 12:06am
post #17 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by poohsmomma

Maybe they just thought it fit....after all the Tin Man didn't have a brain, did he???

Tin Man didn't have a heart... (Scarecrow needed the brain) which is why others might look a little closer. Otherwise, I'd not have noticed as the letters are so closely written that one assumes the "d" is there.

Darling cake! LOVE it! No refunds, no apologies.

OfficerMorgan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OfficerMorgan Posted 8 Nov 2009 , 12:12am
post #18 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by K8memphis-

Quote:

Eeghads I agree with the good OfficerM except Tinman only thought he din have a heart.

icon_biggrin.gif

Holy cow I don't believe it! icon_wink.gificon_rolleyes.gificon_razz.gif

newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 8 Nov 2009 , 12:34am
post #19 of 32

OMG - I saw that cake on the front page and nearly passed out - it's fabulous!!! What detail - you did an absolutely magnificent job!! thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

dorie67 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dorie67 Posted 8 Nov 2009 , 12:53am
post #20 of 32

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!! Awesome cake, my eyes were trying to take everything in that I would not have noticed if it had not been pointed out. princess.gif

littlecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlecake Posted 8 Nov 2009 , 1:06am
post #21 of 32

i bet they were so busy looking at everything else they didn't notice.

AWESOME!

CakeMommyTX Posted 8 Nov 2009 , 1:28am
post #22 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by BooBooKitty

Oh wow.. what a cake... How many bottles of luster dust did it take? If anyone ask about the missing D, just blame it on those evil flying monkeys..

Lol... I might have to use that!
The customer was thrilled and it is was way beyond their expectations so they most likely won't say anything but now I feel bad knowing about it and not pointing it out myself.
Oh well at least I did'nt spell the b-day girls name wrong, done that before!

Thanx for all the comments, he was a blast to make. I actually only used 1 jar of dust, I did'nt think I would need more then that but around midnight I started running low and wished I had more.
Why has'nt anyone opened a 24hrs cake store, I bet they would do some crazy after hours biz, at least from me they would!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 8 Nov 2009 , 6:31am
post #23 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by K8memphis-

Quote:

icon_biggrin.gif

As the song "Tin Man" says (sung by the group "America"):
Oz didnt' give nothing to the Tin Man ..... that he didn't .... didnt' already have.

Ruth0209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruth0209 Posted 8 Nov 2009 , 7:52am
post #24 of 32

It's such an excruciatingly small detail of a spectacular cake, I wouldn't even mention it. If they do, I'd just tell them "so sorry about that" and ask how they liked the cake otherwise.

As a customer, I would never expect a refund or credit for something so small UNLESS you spelled my name wrong. That's a big pet peeve of mine. And that's a lot coming from me because I'm a self-acknowledged grammar snob.

That cake is just unreal!

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 8 Nov 2009 , 2:21pm
post #25 of 32

Wow! Your tin man is amazing!

froglover Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
froglover Posted 8 Nov 2009 , 5:19pm
post #26 of 32

Loved your tin man, with that said don't fret I wouldn't say anything to the customer unless they came to me first. Then offer a discount off next order maybe 10%. On our website under December 09 cakes there is a 3D standing horse cake I think its the 9th cake in slideshow. Go ahead go look at it I'll wait icon_biggrin.gif www.EdibleEleganceTex.com......................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................O.K. are you back now, did you like it thought it was cute (was made to look like b-day girls real horse). Did you notice anything off? Yeah well neither did any 3 of us the parents that picked it up didn't notice customers prior to them picking it up didn't notice. Then they show the little girl her cake and she says"Daddy where are his EARS?" icon_eek.gif Yep thats right he HAS NO EARS. We always call every cust. to see if they like the cake and when they told my partner this she (and we) were mortified icon_redface.gif the family thought that it was hilarious and didn't want a discount.

BooBooKitty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BooBooKitty Posted 8 Nov 2009 , 6:11pm
post #27 of 32

lol ... froglover.. It must be a kid thing... Because my 10 yr walked by as I was looking at the picture of the horse and said HEY that Horse doesn't have any ears.... lol..

Maybe I can help with your link.. http://www.edibleelegancetex.com/Cakes%20for%20December.htm

froglover Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
froglover Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 1:04am
post #28 of 32

thanks boobookitty i guess the periods messed up my link

rosiecast Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rosiecast Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 1:32am
post #29 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by froglover

...........O.K. are you back now, did you like it thought it was cute (was made to look like b-day girls real horse). Did you notice anything off? Yeah well neither did any 3 of us the parents that picked it up didn't notice customers prior to them picking it up didn't notice. Then they show the little girl her cake and she says"Daddy where are his EARS?" icon_eek.gif Yep thats right he HAS NO EARS. We always call every cust. to see if they like the cake and when they told my partner this she (and we) were mortified icon_redface.gif the family thought that it was hilarious and didn't want a discount.

Darn those observant kids. LOL I think the cake is adorable and no I didn't notice either. LOL

OP- That tin man is amazing!!!

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 5:33am
post #30 of 32

Hey, I saw that cake when it was uploaded and i didn't notice, I swear! I was i awe of the rest of it!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%