How About A Serious Thread About Cake Balls?

Baking By motherofgrace Updated 6 Sep 2013 , 2:29am by MBalaska

Ruth0209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruth0209 Posted 8 Nov 2009 , 8:17am
post #61 of 1361

I made some with white cake, buttercream to bind them and a little vanilla rum. I dipped them in chocolate. Man, were they ever good! You could get the same flavor with rum extract if you object to the uncooked rum.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 8 Nov 2009 , 1:42pm
post #62 of 1361
Quote:
Originally Posted by cake-diva1986

KHalstead- wow those sound so great!! I will add them to my list to try!!

but how do you make sleeve fillings?

The sleeve fillings are just the fillings that come in a plastic sleeve that are premade you can get them at most cake/candy supply stores, sometimes I've even seen them in the regular grocery stores near the fruit displays (people use them for pies too)...and you can also order them online at various places.
HTH

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 8 Nov 2009 , 2:31pm
post #63 of 1361

I'm loving this thread! Thanks for starting it!

CakesByLJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByLJ Posted 8 Nov 2009 , 2:49pm
post #64 of 1361
Quote:
Originally Posted by lomfise

And, does anyone have pictures of their cake balls? I'd love to see them icon_biggrin.gif

I made these last year.. beautiful for the Holidays..
LL

amberkw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amberkw Posted 8 Nov 2009 , 3:30pm
post #65 of 1361

Oh my - the trees are gorgeous! I just made a pistachio Cardamom cake and had plenty leftover. I just used BC to bind and ghirradelli white choc to coat. UNBELIEVABLE! Took them to our doctors offic & they called me later to RAVE. Not sure how to attatch a photo...

cib Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cib Posted 8 Nov 2009 , 5:40pm
post #66 of 1361

LJ, holy cow are those ever gorgeous!!!! But can I ask you what are they stuck to? Styro covered in fondant???? And how much did you charge for these? They are so impressive, WOWIE.

Josie_girl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Josie_girl Posted 8 Nov 2009 , 5:58pm
post #67 of 1361

Those cake truffle trees are AWESOME!!!

dawncr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dawncr Posted 8 Nov 2009 , 6:25pm
post #68 of 1361
Quote:

we have been approched to publish our combos... just want to make sure everyone is ok with that!!!!

I'm wondering what this means. Do you mean the Cake Central collection in Google doc, just like those for gourmet cake flavors and cupcake recipes, or something else?

If you mean another publication, either web-based or hard copy, who has approached you? I'm not sure the above statement is enough for a release of everyone's intellectual product.

Just wondering....

auntginn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntginn Posted 8 Nov 2009 , 6:59pm
post #69 of 1361

Awesome Cakes by LJ, Are these up against a cone or totally on their own? And did you use a pic of some kind to hold them in place? Sorry for the questions, I make the same thing with strawberries and now you have peacked my interest for displaying them

CakesByLJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByLJ Posted 8 Nov 2009 , 7:53pm
post #70 of 1361

Thanks everyone.. icon_biggrin.gif I did not sell these, so cannot offer any advice there, but making them is super easy.. That is a standard 4" candle stick base, a styro cone hot glued on ( I think the left one is about 12" tall). Cover the styro with wax paper; I used melted chocolate to glue it on, then paint the whole thing with melted chocolate, and attach the truffles with toothpicks and a tad of chocolate to adhere it to the cone. Don't put too much chocolate when attaching, or it is more difficult to remove to eat.. It takes quite a few to cover, I am sure over 75, maybe up to 90.. But so festive... worth the effort... icon_biggrin.gif

auntginn Posted 8 Nov 2009 , 7:56pm
post #71 of 1361

Looks larger than life here. So... Beautiful. Thanks for the tips. I know I will be offering this one up this year!

Thank you again for sharing

motherofgrace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
motherofgrace Posted 8 Nov 2009 , 8:47pm
post #72 of 1361

dawncr- yes its for the google doc with the gourmet flavors!

ailika Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ailika Posted 8 Nov 2009 , 8:51pm
post #73 of 1361

Gorgeous! Yummy

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 8 Nov 2009 , 9:05pm
post #74 of 1361

Let me know when the google doc is up and running so I can update my recipe links (in my signature.) Thanks all! icon_biggrin.gif

cathie_shinnick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cathie_shinnick Posted 8 Nov 2009 , 9:32pm
post #75 of 1361

Beautiful, Great idea!!!!!!

motherofgrace Posted 8 Nov 2009 , 10:07pm
post #76 of 1361

im working on it, we just keep getting more and more ideas!

dawncr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dawncr Posted 8 Nov 2009 , 11:15pm
post #77 of 1361
Quote:

Cool. I *love* those CC Google docs.

I have them bookmarked, I think, but I usually just find a post by fiddlesticks, then click on the links in her signature.

One question I have: Do most people who make cake specifically for cake balls use a standard mix or an extended/doctored recipe? Does it matter whether the cake is light/fluffy (standard mix) or more dense (doctored)?

I want to try a set using a DH Orange cake mix that's been sitting in my cupboard for a few months. Mix the cake with Gran Marnier and maybe a little cream cheese, then dip in Dark Chocolate and garnish with a little bit of candied orange peel.

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 8 Nov 2009 , 11:31pm
post #78 of 1361
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawncr

Quote:

Cool. I *love* those CC Google docs.

I have them bookmarked, I think, but I usually just find a post by fiddlesticks, then click on the links in her signature.

One question I have: Do most people who make cake specifically for cake balls use a standard mix or an extended/doctored recipe? Does it matter whether the cake is light/fluffy (standard mix) or more dense (doctored)?

I want to try a set using a DH Orange cake mix that's been sitting in my cupboard for a few months. Mix the cake with Gran Marnier and maybe a little cream cheese, then dip in Dark Chocolate and garnish with a little bit of candied orange peel.

Just click on the link in my signature -- that brings you to ALL of them from ALL the threads that have them! icon_lol.gif

auntginn Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 12:47am
post #79 of 1361

Uh Cake Diva,
Too die for... Yummm. I'm getting hungry for some cake balls right now.
I think this could be the best thread ever with all these ideas coming thru

Lovemesomecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lovemesomecake Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 1:28am
post #80 of 1361

When you sell cake balls in a dozen what do you package them in? I know one person said the clear containers but I don't know where to get those around here...any other ideas...

sugarspice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarspice Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 1:49am
post #81 of 1361

I wondered about using a treat bag-with a styro piece cut to sit in the bottom. It could be covered w/ a food safe, colored saran or wrap, etc. Then stack up the cake balls-like a mini tower ie: a dozen. Tie off w/ a ribbon. I haven't actually tried this-to know if the bag is tall enough, etc. Just a thought rolling around in my head!

motherofgrace Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 2:12am
post #82 of 1361

i like using the WASC as my base. But if you want you can just use your box, the best thing about cake balls is ANYTHING GOS!!

auntginn Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 2:16am
post #83 of 1361

Lovemesomecake, what kinda places do you have around you? Cake supply store, Michaels, Floral shop or floral supply store, Big Box Warehouse store???? Why even some fast food places or a donut shop might carry some and let you buy some from them

Lovemesomecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lovemesomecake Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 3:15am
post #84 of 1361
Quote:
Originally Posted by auntginn

Lovemesomecake, what kinda places do you have around you? Cake supply store, Michaels, Floral shop or floral supply store, Big Box Warehouse store???? Why even some fast food places or a donut shop might carry some and let you buy some from them

I have Michaels and Hobby Lobby but I've never seen the clear containers there... What is the cost of each container? (average)

kentuckyjode Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kentuckyjode Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 3:28am
post #85 of 1361

Can anyone tell me why my cake ball pops aren't as smooth as the ones on Bakerella?? I can never get them near as smooth as hers.

auntginn Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 3:33am
post #86 of 1361
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovemesomecake

Quote:
Originally Posted by auntginn

I have Michaels and Hobby Lobby but I've never seen the clear containers there... What is the cost of each container? (average)

For me anywhere from 15 cents to $1.00 depending on where I buy to size.

motherofgrace Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 3:37am
post #87 of 1361

kentuckyjode- is it the actual cake ball, or just the chocolate that isnt smooth?

pancake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pancake Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 3:43am
post #88 of 1361

Sorry if someone has already asked this question, but have you ever frozen cake balls? I'm sure you can do it before you coat them with chocolate, but what about after?

auntginn Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 4:00am
post #89 of 1361

Yes Pancake, they have and I read that some people freeze the finished product. I personally do and will not.

Luvmesomecake, you may want to check out an online site to order some containers. Try Uline products. I know they carry them. I guess it will just depend on your budget.

Cookie4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cookie4 Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 4:42am
post #90 of 1361

Still haven't read all of this thread but here's a few pics of my cake ball trees from a couple of years ago. One of my favorite flavors is Chocolate Cake with crushed (or should I say smashed) Almond Joy candy bars inside. I eat the almond on top of the candy bar while I make the balls - just gotta take care of the cook!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%