How About A Serious Thread About Cake Balls?

Baking By motherofgrace Updated 6 Sep 2013 , 2:29am by MBalaska

truffleshuffle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
truffleshuffle Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 4:01pm
post #151 of 1361

Dandelion- when I am making pops I find an old sturdy box cover it in aluminum foil and punch some small holes in it with the tip of my knife. I stick the stick in the hole so they are standing up to dry properly

cupcakemkr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakemkr Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 4:01pm
post #152 of 1361
Quote:
Originally Posted by mija10417

Can someone please explain what the texture should be like for a cake ball? I had some scraps from a chocolate wasc and it was so moist I didn't even need a binder to roll them in a ball. When I bit into it, there was nothing "cake like" about it. Then I tried it with a doctored red velvet mix, they weren't as moist and I did use a little cream cheese icing but it still seems to have the texture of "wet cake" to me. Am I doing something wrong? Should I be using a less moist cake?

Here is a tutorial on cake balls with GREAT photos on The Pioneer Woman from when Bakerella visited her:
http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2009/03/cake-pop-lesson-1-the-cake-ball/

CakesByLJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByLJ Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 5:30pm
post #153 of 1361
Quote:
Originally Posted by ESQ1031

Sorry for being such a pest on this topic, but I plan on making one of the cake ball trees today and am a bit nervous about putting the tree together. For those of you who have done this, what type of tooth pics do you use to secure the ball to the styrofoam? Did you have any issues with the balls falling off. Also do you insert the tooth pic into the styrofoam and then attach the ball or vice versa?

You are not a pest.... icon_smile.gif First, you cover the entire wax paper in chocolate; Have all your cake truffles ready to attach; starting at the bottom I placed a toothpick into the cone so that only 1/2" or so was sticking out. Then put a tiny amt of chocolate on the back of the truffle and push it onto the toothpick. Go around the bottom, and row by row all the way up. Here's my reasoning; if you don't use toothpicks you will need more chocolate to attach the truffle, thus making it more difficult to remove the truffle without tearing off big chunks of the chocolate backing.. I hope that makes sense. With it just slightly "glued" to the toothpick, it removes much cleaner and neater... icon_biggrin.gif hth

Barb1959 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Barb1959 Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 7:08pm
post #154 of 1361
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovemesomecake

When you sell cake balls in a dozen what do you package them in? I know one person said the clear containers but I don't know where to get those around here...any other ideas...

I went to my local shop rite and they sell me plastic containers for $.50 each. I use the one that a small sub sandwich goes in. They hold about 1 dozen if you can stack a few. I also use a larger square containter that is about 8 or 9 inc. square. They hold 16 when not stacked. I use them for my pumpkin balls because you can't stack them.

Hope this helps.

Barb1959 Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 7:19pm
post #155 of 1361
Quote:
Originally Posted by cake-diva1986

kentuckyjode- just try adding some shortening to you chocolate, and also dont really "dip it" , roll it in the chocolate, and the tap it on the side to get rid of the access chocolate HTH

auntginn- I have never shipped mine, but I would think if they were tightly in the box they should be ok?

Also, is anyone here good with the google docs?? im not too good with computers.

And i have yet to try this but what about a S'more ball? chocolate cake, marshmallow icing rolled in Graham cracker crumbs!!!

And 1 last thing, for those of you who use nuts and coconut and such, do you still dip it in chocolate then roll it? or just roll the plain cake ball?

I add the cocount into the chocolate cake. then I dip in chocolate. I have also dipped in chocolate, rolled in coconut and then dipped in chocolate again. Makes a very big ball and is very messy. I prefer the first way.

Barb1959 Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 7:26pm
post #156 of 1361
Quote:
Originally Posted by dldbrou

I have never made these scrumptious cake balls and would love to try to make them, however, I never have crumbs to use. I will have to make a complete cake and just crumble it so I want to know what are the steps to making cake balls.

My understanding is that you crumble your cake and then need some type of binder like frosting or a flavoring to get them to ball up. How much per cake do you use so that they will not come out sticky?

Then you freeze for a few hours and dip into white or regular or dark chocolate.

Did I miss anything? I need to make these for Christmas gifts for family. Instead of buying gifts we bake goodies for each other. I want to try these this year.

Thanks for any help.

One box mix makes aprox. 3 dozen. I use aprox 1/2 cup coffee creamer (any flavor you choose). New trick I found to crumble cake. If you have a food processor, put pieces of cake in that. Crumbles great and if you have any hard pieces around the edges, it crumbles it great. I just scrape off the top if it is sticky. It does not mix well. HTH.

esq1031 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
esq1031 Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 7:27pm
post #157 of 1361

I just want to thank everyone for your help and advice. I will post photos of my completed tree assuming I don't get too frustrated or eat all the chocolate!!!

dldbrou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dldbrou Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 9:35pm
post #158 of 1361

Thanks Barb,

Silly question, is the coffee creamer in liquid form? I am thinking it would need to be to make balls stick together.

As son as my first grandson is born, (due date is today) I will be back in the kitchen making these for the holidays.

motherofgrace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
motherofgrace Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 9:53pm
post #159 of 1361

Im glad to see everyone is enjoying the thread, there are a few questions that havent been answered. Lets do our best to get them done before they get lost, and the people are left still not knowing icon_smile.gif

I will do my best to quote which ones have not been answered ( if there are doubles I will only post one icon_smile.gif

motherofgrace Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 9:56pm
post #160 of 1361
Quote:
Originally Posted by brgrassmyer

Please share your tips for keeping cake crumbs from getting into the chocolate.
I do freeze my cake balls and then only work in small batches, but currently, I am debating coating them in a simple syrup and then freezing and then dipping. Any thoughts?? icon_biggrin.gif

Quote:
Quote:

I would appreciate any advice on how best to cover cake balls in chocolate where there are no flat bottoms and no marks from dipping utensil. Last night I tried using just a skewer to insert into the cake ball when dipping in chocolate, but I still get marks and the obvious little hole on the bottom of the ball. Is it possible to get a perfectly smooth cake ball with no flat bottom and marks from whatever utensil you are using to dip in chocolate? I find myself drizzling chocolate on the finished product to hide imperfections. I guess I am a bit of a perfectionist. Please help because this is really bothering me!!!

There are most i just cant get to the other page, sorry icon_sad.gif

sweettooth88 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettooth88 Posted 14 Nov 2009 , 12:33am
post #161 of 1361

Do yall think these combos would work well for a christmas party??? Redvelvet, Vanilla cake with almond, and Chocolate with pepermint??? I just thought it would be a little mixture. What do you think?

chachagyrl22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chachagyrl22 Posted 14 Nov 2009 , 4:20pm
post #162 of 1361

I have made cakeballs a few times and I'm so glad this thread was started. I have a couple of questions. What do you use to make the balls? How do you get the cakeball smooth and perfectly round before you dip into the choc? I used a small scooper and I only got about 2 dozen cakeballs. TIA

dettdunn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dettdunn Posted 14 Nov 2009 , 4:37pm
post #163 of 1361
Quote:
Quote:

ESQ1031 wrote:
I would appreciate any advice on how best to cover cake balls in chocolate where there are no flat bottoms and no marks from dipping utensil. Last night I tried using just a skewer to insert into the cake ball when dipping in chocolate, but I still get marks and the obvious little hole on the bottom of the ball. Is it possible to get a perfectly smooth cake ball with no flat bottom and marks from whatever utensil you are using to dip in chocolate? I find myself drizzling chocolate on the finished product to hide imperfections. I guess I am a bit of a perfectionist. Please help because this is really bothering me!!!

I dipped some by using a toothpick; dipped to right up against the toothpick and that is the 'downside' of the cake ball. You will see the small uncovered cake on the bottom, but since it is on the bottom it doesn't matter and then you don't have the puddle on the bottom either. I am pretty much a perfectionist and this is the only dipping method that I am pretty satisfied with.

dettdunn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dettdunn Posted 14 Nov 2009 , 4:52pm
post #164 of 1361
Quote:
Quote:

Aquamom wrote:
Here is my question. My family and I will be traveling--at least nine hours by car during the holidays in December.

Can I mix the cake and binders together--freeze in advance, travel all day in a car, place them back in frig at destination--and then coat them in chocolate (probably the next day)? Or is it just best to have the cake premade and take it with and then do the rest of the creating when I get to our destination. Any suggestions?

Aquamom, I completely make mine, box up and put in a small cooler. Have traveled 12 hours with them and they are fine. I do put them in the frig when I reach my destination. Hope this helps.

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 14 Nov 2009 , 6:02pm
post #165 of 1361

chachagyrl22, I use the small 1" scoop (#60) & it's the perfect size--about 2 bites. For about 4 c batter (used left over choc WASC) I got 6 doz.

Try the link cupcakemkr posted at the top of the page. Bakerella has the most awesome cake balls & I'm going to try her method next time. I normally use a plastic fork w/ the middle tines broke off & use a butter knife to help glide the balls off the fork onto wax paper.

SJ169 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SJ169 Posted 14 Nov 2009 , 6:27pm
post #166 of 1361

Ok so this thread inspired me to try cake balls again! (my first try was not so good)

Anywho they turned out awesome!

I used italian creme cake with cream cheese binder, dipped in white chocolate, i also used chocolate cake with peanut butter binder dipped in milk chocolate and drizzled with peanut butter (my fav!)

The freezing definatley helped and i added shortening to the chocolate and it made it alot easier to dip icon_biggrin.gif

Thanks everyone for the tips icon_biggrin.gif

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 14 Nov 2009 , 6:35pm
post #167 of 1361
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJ169

Ok so this thread inspired me to try cake balls again! (my first try was not so good)

Anywho they turned out awesome!

I used italian creme cake with cream cheese binder, dipped in white chocolate, i also used chocolate cake with peanut butter binder dipped in milk chocolate and drizzled with peanut butter (my fav!)

The freezing definatley helped and i added shortening to the chocolate and it made it alot easier to dip icon_biggrin.gif

Thanks everyone for the tips icon_biggrin.gif

Yummy...makes me want to run and make some!
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

Shanille21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shanille21 Posted 14 Nov 2009 , 6:45pm
post #168 of 1361

sj- just cream cheese or cream cheese frosting?

im trying them tonight and wanted som ideas

SJ169 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SJ169 Posted 14 Nov 2009 , 6:48pm
post #169 of 1361

Shanille21 - sorry i used cream cheese frosting.. very yummy icon_biggrin.gif

motherofgrace Posted 14 Nov 2009 , 6:51pm
post #170 of 1361

today Im making cookie dough ones!! cant wait till theyare done!

motherofgrace Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 12:34am
post #171 of 1361

ok i made them! and the hubby (official taste tester!) said they were great, but might be better not dipped in chocolate.

Now my reaction was they arent truffles unless dipped.... it would just be a ball of cookie dough.

What do you ladies think??

Shanille21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shanille21 Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 2:19am
post #172 of 1361

Cake diva- Cookie dough cake balls??? please explain!! I love cookie dough!!

cgarner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cgarner Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 2:40am
post #173 of 1361

I made some cookie dough ones and they were great. Cookie dough dipped in chocolate. How much better can that get. The recipe I found had no eggs in it. They turned out so yummy.

motherofgrace Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 2:52am
post #174 of 1361

it may be the same recipe cgarner is talking about!

http://mykitchencafe.blogspot.com/2008/10/cookie-dough-truffles.html

heres the recipe i found

Also i was thinking, how about the cookie dough pushed into a peanut butter cup mold... um hard to explian will post pictures when i do it!

aej6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aej6 Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 3:12am
post #175 of 1361

I must be doing something wrong.
Today I made chocolate cake (cooled and crumbled), used chocolate frosting (about 3/4 can) and dipped in chocolate. The texture of the cake ball was just...unpleasant. Looking at Bakerella's (and knowing that no matter how bad I want to make mine like hers they just won't be exact)....I can not get that inside texture.

SO I tried yellow cake with white frosting (a bit less than 3/4 a can) and they were a bit bettter.

Lastly I did carrot cake with cream cheese frosting (1/2 can) and the texture was again icky....

Also, I had indented them so that once dipped they looked like pumpkins (the yellow and carrot cake ones dipped in white chocolate.) When I dipped them I had the balls in the chocolate via a toothpick...so out they come and there's a tiny hole in the top...fine, covered it with green chocolate like a stem.
Problem is the balls "leak" oil? Yes, greasy something or other comes out of these little holes and pools at the top. Dip them with a spoon (so to get no hole) and they leak from the bottom. THIS ALSO HAPPENS WITH OERO BALLS when I make them...this lovely "leakage".
Any ideas?
I really appreciate any help as this is making me nuts!

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 6:49am
post #176 of 1361

aej6, I too have experienced the oily problem the last 2 batches of cake balls, but more so on the batch I finished tonight. I noticed it more on those that had bare or thin spots, so I'm assuming that's the problem.

I also tried to do it Bakerella style on the ones I did tonight. I must say I was pleasantly surprised!!! I still have a ways before mine look like hers, but the experience was much more pleasant than previous tries. I don't have those posted b/c they've been popped into the freezer & will come out next week for thanksgiving.

Here was my first tree. I made it to send pics to a lady who hasn't decided what she wants for the holidays. I'm crossing my fingers!

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1518187

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 8:56am
post #177 of 1361

dandelion56602, it turned out great! The blue and white makes it look like a wintery showpiece.

Barb1959 Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 12:56pm
post #178 of 1361
Quote:
Originally Posted by dandelion56602

aej6, I too have experienced the oily problem the last 2 batches of cake balls, but more so on the batch I finished tonight. I noticed it more on those that had bare or thin spots, so I'm assuming that's the problem.

I also tried to do it Bakerella style on the ones I did tonight. I must say I was pleasantly surprised!!! I still have a ways before mine look like hers, but the experience was much more pleasant than previous tries. I don't have those posted b/c they've been popped into the freezer & will come out next week for thanksgiving.

Here was my first tree. I made it to send pics to a lady who hasn't decided what she wants for the holidays. I'm crossing my fingers!

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1518187

hopw many cake balls would you say are on this cake. Also, If you don't mind sharing, what are you going to charge for this tree.

esq1031 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
esq1031 Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 1:16pm
post #179 of 1361

OK, so I am really confused. I made a few batches of cakeballs the past couple of days and have this to say and ask. First off, the oreo cookie and cream cheese with milk chocolate are all the rave. I dont mind the cookie dough consistency of the inside of this ball because I am using a cookie as the base. However, when I made a box of carrot cake I followed bakerella's instructions, which seemed to make sense. However, the finished product is not cake-like at all inside. It's very sticky. The taste is great, but the consistency isn't appealing to me. Others don't seem to mind it, but i don't know any other way to remedy this. I don't think it would matter how much or how little binder you use because I've tried this and there was no change. Am I doing something wrong??? Does anyone get a flaky cakelike consistency inside or is it impossible because we are using a binder? I would think the only way to get a real cake consistency would be if you were just making a petit four dipped in chocolate minus the binder??? Please help...

pattycakes55d Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakes55d Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 1:24pm
post #180 of 1361

I made some with chocolate cake and caramel as a binder and milk chocolate coating. Everyone went wild. the cake balls were a little lumpy when I made them, so after letting them cool in the fridge, patted them a little to smooth out. Really helped.

dandelion56602 I too would love to make the xmas cake ball tree and wonder how many fit on it and what you would charge.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%