How About A Serious Thread About Cake Balls?

Baking By motherofgrace Updated 6 Sep 2013 , 2:29am by MBalaska

darthbeader Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darthbeader Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 11:52pm
post #1141 of 1361
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatuPR

darthbeader, thank you for the recipes. I have a few questions. How much cocoa do you add for the easy chocolate cake?

And for the orange/lemon cake, do you zest the orange/lemon first and use it? TIA

I can't believe I forgot the most important thing the cocoa lol. You need 1/3 of a cup of cocoa.

You put the whole orange/lemon in the processor, skin and all . Virtually what you do is 1/4 it remove seeds and then feed it into the food processor. It minces the peel up small.

GatuPR Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GatuPR Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 5:19am
post #1142 of 1361

Ok, thanks again thumbs_up.gif .

sweetjan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetjan Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 10:28pm
post #1143 of 1361

Thanks so much, too, for your answer about the caster sugar. Great advice and recipes overall~
Best wishes....

winjes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
winjes Posted 19 Jun 2010 , 1:43am
post #1144 of 1361

darthbeader -

I love Mango's as does my family. The thought of a mango cake makes my mouth water. Would you be kind enough to share your mango cake recipe?

Thanks,
Jett

darthbeader Posted 19 Jun 2010 , 4:35am
post #1145 of 1361
Quote:
Originally Posted by winjes

darthbeader -

I love Mango's as does my family. The thought of a mango cake makes my mouth water. Would you be kind enough to share your mango cake recipe?

Thanks,
Jett

Not a problem icon_biggrin.gif I use the syrup from the tinned mango to help bind the cake.

1/2 cup mango slices in syrup, chopped
125grams butter/margarine chopped
1/2 teaspoon coconut essence
3/4 cup caster sugar
2 eggs
1 cup dessicated coconut
1 1/4 cups self-raising flour

Drain mangoes over a small bowl and reserve syrup

beat the butter, essence and sugar in a small bowl with an electric beater

add eggs one at a time, beating until just combined between additions

transfer mixture to a larger bowl and stir in mango, coconut and flour , mix well

Pour mixture into a greased pan

bake at 180C for about 30 minutes.

hope this helps

winjes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
winjes Posted 19 Jun 2010 , 12:08pm
post #1146 of 1361

Thank you! I know what I'll be making today. icon_smile.gif

motherofgrace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
motherofgrace Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 4:36am
post #1147 of 1361

Here is a cake pop bouquet I made, MY VERY FIRST ONE!!!!

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1720028

cupcakeatheart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakeatheart Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 4:17pm
post #1148 of 1361

Very cute sweetheart! Did you roll those in sanding sugar?

motherofgrace Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 5:00pm
post #1149 of 1361

the chocolate ones are chocolate sprinkles, and the blue yes is sanding sugar

deedee1120 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deedee1120 Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 9:05pm
post #1150 of 1361

I just finished the entire thread. Thanks to all for such wonderful information. I've tried a couple of batches of cake balls, but i'm so excited to try all the wonderful flavor combinations that have been posted here!

Quick question: if someone was looking for an alternative to chocolate to coat the balls (not me personally, since I loooove chocolate), would a glaze be appropriate?

BORIKS03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BORIKS03 Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 9:29pm
post #1151 of 1361

Thanks for the great information.

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 7:20am
post #1152 of 1361

No canned mango around here. Would it work to use fresh mango & then canned nectar as the liquid? How much of the reserved liquid to you add to the batter?

darthbeader Posted 3 Jul 2010 , 6:15am
post #1153 of 1361
Quote:
Originally Posted by dandelion56602

No canned mango around here. Would it work to use fresh mango & then canned nectar as the liquid? How much of the reserved liquid to you add to the batter?

sorry for replying late.

You can use fresh mangoes, I only use the juice to bind so you really don't need to buy any, just use buttercream

deMuralist Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deMuralist Posted 3 Jul 2010 , 5:47pm
post #1154 of 1361

Deedee-a local baker sells what they call cake balls and they are definitely covered with some sort of glaze it is almost see through. I have not tasted them, they want $2.50 a piece and I cannot bring myself to pay for something I do so well myself.

pammylynn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pammylynn Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 4:50pm
post #1155 of 1361

I've been reading this thread for days....I just now finished!! Awesome tips and flavors everyone. I appreciate your sharing. I've been making cake bites for about a year. Mine have always been on the mushier side - never even thought that that was wrong. I'm excited to try them with less binding and to work on all these different flavors. I just opened a small kitchen and am making them on a pre-order basis. I just made 10 dozen yesterday for the City - they are holding a going away party for someone.

Anyway - there were so many times I wanted to respond to posts, but since you all were on page 77 or so and I was still reading my way through I figured it wouldn't make much sense!

I'll share new stuff as I come across it in the days ahead!

Pam

frogcooke Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
frogcooke Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 10:53am
post #1156 of 1361

definitely going to have to try out these!

deMuralist Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 12:32pm
post #1157 of 1361

omg. I ran out of Merkens chocolate and was too lazy to drive across town to get it, so just used Wilton chocolate. It was so hard to work with, I got spoiled. I am driving across town today I have a tier of bites I am making for this weekend and I will never get done if I have to use the wilton chocolate. I could not get it to thin down, so weird.

frogcooke Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 6:25pm
post #1158 of 1361

any suggestions to use for a binder for a mint chocolate cake?

deMuralist Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 8:20pm
post #1159 of 1361

if you can use alcohol...I think there is a mint Starbucks liqueur, thickened with a bit of powdered sugar

edited to add: I seem to remember that there is a list made by one of our early posters that includes most of the suggested flavors from this thread, you might look for that.

edited to add: found it...http://docs.google.com/Doc?docid=0AWyT_ZcILkBTZGRkNHF6cjNfNWduNzY5YmNm&hl=en

frogcooke Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 11:06pm
post #1160 of 1361
Quote:
Originally Posted by deMuralist

if you can use alcohol...I think there is a mint Starbucks liqueur, thickened with a bit of powdered sugar

edited to add: I seem to remember that there is a list made by one of our early posters that includes most of the suggested flavors from this thread, you might look for that.

edited to add: found it...http://docs.google.com/Doc?docid=0AWyT_ZcILkBTZGRkNHF6cjNfNWduNzY5YmNm&hl=en

I forgot to bookmark that the last time i saw it. actually it looks like a different list, but maybe not. haha.

Since I put some peppermint in the cake itself(half the cake, the other half i added raspberry) I think i might just use some chocolate frosting just so its not over powered with mint.

I think I'm also going to try a butter pecan with coconut, and a butter pecan with a peach mango. I did a cake with the BP/PM and it was really good.
----

i just rolled one half of the truffles. currently chilling in my fridge. Are they supposed to be a sort of fudge like consistency? Or well a soft fudge like? it was really good just tasting it before it was rolled.

I did mine in the food processor like some suggested. I think the cake was really moist to begin with and it need a bit more raspberry flavor. But I liked the texture. Basically like a truffle center.

deMuralist Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 1:10am
post #1161 of 1361

Mine tend to be that sort of consistency, but many on here prefer a more cake like consistency. You could just add less binder. There was actually a few recipes with no binder. But for me the binder is what gives it that pow of flavor to balance with the chocolate. I tend to make sure I bake the cake to really done (not sure how to say this exactly) but so that they are a almost dry. And then once I crumb them I let them sit a day. If it is a tad dry it will take the flavor from the binder better.

I freeze the rolled ones until I am ready to dip in chocolate. I only dip as many as I need because they disappear too quickly otherwise. Plus, I like the snap when you bite into a fairly freshly dipped one.

frogcooke Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 1:27am
post #1162 of 1361

for half a box of cake i didnt actually use much binder, just two small spoonfuls of jam. I think I rather like the nice soft fudgey texture to it. Theres still that slight "cake" like taste to it, but its closer to a actual truffle.

But then again, I like to squash my bread into little tiny cubes and eat it. heh.

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 10 Sep 2010 , 2:36am
post #1163 of 1361

Sorry to interupt, but does anyone have the recipe for the baked cake balls? I can't find it anyplace!! icon_cry.gif

motherofgrace Posted 10 Sep 2010 , 3:56am
post #1164 of 1361

Baked cake balls?

Never heard!

deMuralist Posted 10 Sep 2010 , 11:46am
post #1165 of 1361

Yeah, I have never heard of baked cake balls either, sorry.

bobwonderbuns Posted 10 Sep 2010 , 12:27pm
post #1166 of 1361

Yes, someone around here earlier this year I think was making cake balls and she didn't like them "raw" as it were so she formed them then baked them for a little while and she said they were awesome. I thought I had it saved but I cannot locate it and it's not coming up in a search! icon_cry.gif

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 12 Sep 2010 , 5:14am
post #1168 of 1361

BWB, have you made & dipped the baked ones? I may try them this week.

I'm assuming someone has made this combo, but thought I would ask. Chocolate cake w/ PB as a binder. Would milk chocolate be the best to dip in?

If this combo didn't turn out let me know before I make them icon_smile.gif

bobwonderbuns Posted 12 Sep 2010 , 3:27pm
post #1169 of 1361

I haven't tried them yet but I'm hoping to this week sometime. I made my first topsy turvy cake the other day and I saved the leftovers for this. I'll let you know how it works.

motherofgrace Posted 13 Sep 2010 , 12:39am
post #1170 of 1361
Quote:
Originally Posted by dandelion56602

BWB, have you made & dipped the baked ones? I may try them this week.

I'm assuming someone has made this combo, but thought I would ask. Chocolate cake w/ PB as a binder. Would milk chocolate be the best to dip in?

If this combo didn't turn out let me know before I make them icon_smile.gif

this is one of my top sellers!

I use milk chocolate and I drizzle peanut butter chips on the top!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%