Using Artificial Decorations On Wedding Cake?

Decorating By acperry Updated 10 Nov 2009 , 9:45pm by khoudek

acperry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
acperry Posted 7 Nov 2009 , 3:54am
post #1 of 25

I have a christmas wedding cake, that I am doing for a friend and she wants holly, poinsetta, berries, pine cones, etc. And if I was to use all artificial how would I put it on without it sitting directly on the icing?
The cake will be 8, 10, 12 with seperation for decorations. I will be using the sps system. TIA

24 replies
cakenutz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakenutz Posted 7 Nov 2009 , 4:15am
post #2 of 25

OKay I have a question. How classy of a cake do you want? I would make all the decorations before I'd but plastic on it. Now I'm not saying you can't but they would have to be pretty natural looking. If you choose to use flower picks and such I would but a straw in the cake and put the deco in it so it didn't touch the cake. All and all I think the overall look should be elegant Just my opinion.

wrightway777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wrightway777 Posted 7 Nov 2009 , 4:33am
post #3 of 25

I agree try to make them. You can even make the pine cone by cutting an oval brown gumpaste shape with sharp pair of scissors (small snips all over the shape).

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 7 Nov 2009 , 4:35am
post #4 of 25

you can buy a lot of that, premade in gumpaste. www. discount sugar flowers .com and www. avalon deco .com.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 7 Nov 2009 , 4:42am
post #5 of 25

If you want to try making the decorations, here's a holly leaf cutter that has a veiner with it: http://studioclaysculpter.com/Studio-By-Sculpey-Shape-Makers-Leaf-Set-1-P208209.aspx and the heart-shaped leaf in this one would work for poinsettia http://www.overstock.com/Crafts-Sewing/Studio-By-Sculpey-Leaf-Shape-Makers/3249144/product.html I bought the second set at Joann with a coupon and it works really well with fondant and even better with gumpaste. I would paint the holly leaves with confectioner's glaze to give them that waxy shine.

If you're going to use artificial, then you would just tape the stems together into sprays and then use flower spikes to hold the wires. I don't think there's anything wrong with using artificial flowers on a cake, it's all about what your customer can afford and what you feel comfortable doing.

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 7 Nov 2009 , 5:00am
post #6 of 25

For the topper, make a disc of fondant to put the artificial items on.

acperry Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 3:03am
post #7 of 25

Thanks for all the great ideas! icon_biggrin.gif
I will have to ck out the premade, too. Bride requested artificial, its what was on the pic she brought... This so far is only a hobby for me and the cake is for a friend of the family so I may just go with artificial since its day after christmas.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 3:44am
post #8 of 25

When I think of "artificial" flowers, what comes to mind are the very realistic looking silks that are out in abundance ... not the hard plastic cheap things that you find in forgotten corners of our mother's houses.

Many, if not most, of my brides choose to use silks. Silks .... not "cheap plastic".

acperry Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 3:48am
post #9 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

When I think of "artificial" flowers, what comes to mind are the very realistic looking silks that are out in abundance ... not the hard plastic cheap things that you find in forgotten corners of our mother's houses.

Many, if not most, of my brides choose to use silks. Silks .... not "cheap plastic".

thats exactly what I was thinking...silks!

Ruth0209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruth0209 Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 4:35am
post #10 of 25

I think silk flowers can be very beautiful on a cake, and it's a very budget friendly option.

You do know not to put live poinsetta on a cake, right? They're really poisonous.

acperry Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 8:16pm
post #11 of 25

[/quote]You do know not to put live poinsetta on a cake, right? They're really poisonous.[quote]

yes thumbs_up.gif

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 8:27pm
post #12 of 25
Quote:

Oh that just brought out a smell memory. Do you guys have those?
My grandmother had those plastic flowers for years and the smell is something you never forget. icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 8:44pm
post #13 of 25

lol@sadsmile, you know I saw a program one time that talked about how certain things can bring back memories of things you didn't even know you remembered...like a song, or seeing a photo...and they said that "smell" is the strongest sensory memory jarring sense that we have!

It's so weird, I'll go in a store and smell something (not even really knowing what it is) and I'll instantly be taken back to my childhood. Everytime I smell peaches that are getting ripe (you know how they smell really sweet, but kinda like they're starting to rot and musty at the same time?) takes me right back to my Grandma's back porch, she used to can peaches and kept gargantuan amounts of peaches in baskets on her back porch, smelled so good!

Lcubed82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lcubed82 Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 8:49pm
post #14 of 25

You could make a round plaque out of gumpaste, then arrange your florals on that, then set on top of cake. Nothing would touch.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 9:32pm
post #15 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by KHalstead

takes me right back to my Grandma's back porch,

My gramma lived on a farm. The smell combo of hay and dry dogfood is heaven to me. Grampa would take his boots off in the "mud room" area, where they kept the 25 lbs bags of Purina dog chow. When you walked into her house, that smell hit you. I loved it.

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 9:57pm
post #16 of 25
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KHalstead

takes me right back to my Grandma's back porch,

My gramma lived on a farm. The smell combo of hay and dry dogfood is heaven to me. Grampa would take his boots off in the "mud room" area, where they kept the 25 lbs bags of Purina dog chow. When you walked into her house, that smell hit you. I loved it.

You just mentioned being a redneck on another thread and I thought to myself,"Indy?Country girl? NO!". I take it all back if that's what smells like heaven to you! icon_lol.gif

Now hot concrete & tar, ahhhhhhh

Ruth0209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruth0209 Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 10:42pm
post #17 of 25

I think of my grandparents' house when I smell propane. They lived in the back woods of Missouri without electricity or running water (boy, what a culture shock it was to visit them), and they cooked with propane. As icky as propane smells, it's still a fond memory.

Donnabugg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Donnabugg Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 12:32am
post #18 of 25

Ruth, I too am reminded of my childhood with the smell of propane. We used to spend summers with my Dad in Oklahoma and his house used propane. Takes me right back!

As far as the topic...I don't think using silks/artificial flowers is cheesy. There are some very nice, realistic flowers these days. And it's all about what the customer can afford. Good luck!

Donnabugg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Donnabugg Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 12:37am
post #19 of 25

Ruth, I too am reminded of my childhood with the smell of propane. We used to spend summers with my Dad in Oklahoma and his house used propane. Takes me right back!

As far as the topic...I don't think using silks/artificial flowers is cheesy. There are some very nice, realistic flowers these days. And it's all about what the customer can afford. Good luck!

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 1:27pm
post #20 of 25

it's funny because my DH's grandparents gave us a 1970 coleman pop up camper (almost a decade older than me!) and we use that thing STILL. Every winter we flood the cupboards and under the seating with mothballs to keep animals out (since it's stored outsidde) and I joke with my husband that my kids are gonna grow up loving the smell of mothballs. In fact my 10 yr. old always says "mmmm, I don't know WHY I like that smell?" and I really think it's because we have such a good time camping and it reminds the kids of it. No matter how hard you try the first couple of weeks in that camper all you smell is mothballs LOL We air that puppy out for a week before we start using it too!!

sherrycanary62 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sherrycanary62 Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 1:40pm
post #21 of 25

Isn't there anything food safe to wrap your flower wires in...say cover the floral tape with ribbon or something like that?

sherrycanary62 Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 2:41pm
post #22 of 25

I grew up on a small ranch just north of Los Angeles...lots of animals (and their smells)...then lived in the metropolis for over 25 years...now live in another rural place near a cattle feed lot...and yes!!! even "THAT" smell triggers wonderful memories. icon_lol.gif

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 2:50pm
post #23 of 25

[quote="sherrycanary"]Isn't there anything food safe to wrap your flower wires in...say cover the floral tape with ribbon or something like that?[/quote]

chocolate.

sherrycanary62 Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 3:21pm
post #24 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherrycanary

Isn't there anything food safe to wrap your flower wires in...say cover the floral tape with ribbon or something like that?

chocolate.

Leah....what kind of chocolate? modelling chocolate...candy clay (or is that the same thing?) or just brushed with melted chocolate? and if using modelling chocolate or candy clay...will it melt? or do you need to keep refrigerated...sorry...I like the idea, but have no experience with chocolate yet....would the chocolate go over floral tape or would you just eliminate floral tape altogether?

Thank You
Sherry

khoudek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
khoudek Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 9:45pm
post #25 of 25

Floral tape is safe. There is no latex in it as was stated in previous posts. It is composed of paper coated with paraffin wax, which is used for canning.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%