leah_s Posted 7 Nov 2009 , 3:31am
post #1 of 41

So who's working tonight?

Time to check in!

40 replies
lorijom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lorijom Posted 7 Nov 2009 , 3:38am
post #2 of 41

I'm working...well just stopped for the night. Agonizing over a 4 tier wedding cake for delivery tomorrow. Second guessing myself all day refrigerate or not...attach cascading gumpaste flowers today or tomorrow, finish stacking before delivery or finish on site. I've made so many cakes and for some reason this one is just kicking me a**. The only thing I was sure about was using SPS. Augghhhh!!

-Tubbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-Tubbs Posted 7 Nov 2009 , 3:43am
post #3 of 41

Three tier square BC wedding cake for tomorrow evening. Stopping for the night because those corners are kicking my arse and I've been up since 5am and will soon start making BAD mistakes!

Any tips very welcome!

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 7 Nov 2009 , 3:43am
post #4 of 41

stack the bottom 2 or 3. Don't refrigerate unless there's a perishable filling. If you're leaving it out of the fridge, you can put the gumpaste flowers in the prestacked tiers. Just my yo-pinion.

leah_s Posted 7 Nov 2009 , 3:45am
post #5 of 41

I don't have any cakes this weekend. DD and SIL got married 4 years ago today. It was a great wedding and reception. Anyway, I'm on the couch, DH is snoring in his recliner. Gosh this must be what it's like in the "normal" world on a Friday night!

lorijom Posted 7 Nov 2009 , 3:48am
post #6 of 41

The whole problem started because of the cream cheese buttercream on one of the tiers. Decided to put safety first and refrigerate. Stacked the bottom three, refrigerated, no gumpaste in frig. Note to self...buy some cream cheese flavoring. Thanks for the advice Leah icon_smile.gif

-Tubbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-Tubbs Posted 7 Nov 2009 , 3:49am
post #7 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

I don't have any cakes this weekend. ... Gosh this must be what it's like in the "normal" world on a Friday night!

Enjoy!!!

RachieRach Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RachieRach Posted 7 Nov 2009 , 3:56am
post #8 of 41

I'm decorating sugar cookies for a baptism on Sunday. 36 butterflies and crosses. So far so good.

momma28 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momma28 Posted 7 Nov 2009 , 4:08am
post #9 of 41

Recreating Al Capone's 1928 armored cadillac in cake for a roaring twenties wedding reception. Oh how I would love a normal wedding cake, Its a fun cake thoughicon_wink.gif

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 7 Nov 2009 , 4:08am
post #10 of 41

No cakes this weekend. But, I spent the day starting hundreds of gumpaste flowers for a bridal fair in January. I will spend tomorrow making flowers also.

tatorchip Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tatorchip Posted 7 Nov 2009 , 4:13am
post #11 of 41

Hi everyone, just finished a batch of cookies for dh, haven't done any baking in a week and he missed it lol

leah_s Posted 7 Nov 2009 , 4:14am
post #12 of 41

wow, tracy. Do you ever just buy them?

lorijom Posted 7 Nov 2009 , 4:16am
post #13 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by momma28

Recreating Al Capone's 1928 armored cadillac in cake for a roaring twenties wedding reception. Oh how I would love a normal wedding cake, Its a fun cake thoughicon_wink.gif

That sounds like great fun!! The cake and the reception icon_smile.gif

momma28 Posted 7 Nov 2009 , 4:19am
post #14 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorijom

Quote:

That sounds like great fun!! The cake and the reception icon_smile.gif

I actually cannot wait to deliver the cake. The entire bridal party and most of the guests are dressing in period clothing...flapper dresses, gangster suits. ... What a hoot. I bet this is the only time that I get a wedding cake order for a gangster car, groom's cake maybe but this IS THE cake

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 7 Nov 2009 , 4:20am
post #15 of 41

I thought I only had the one tiered (fall theme for women's /girl's home) and one for Sunday along with DD's bd red velvet cheesecake(no clue there...I'll figure something out I hope). I'm really glad I looked over the order again to check the time due...uh...it's also for tomorrow...they want a Pink Cake Box design...change the colors to stacked packages.

I just finished applying fondant to the fall theme cake...4 tiers, 12, 8, 8, 5(x1.5)...I hope to be able to stack the two 8s and apply a band around center...never done it before...figured now's a good time to try since they didn't care what I did..why not, right? If I mess up, I'll fix it and cover the whole thing with leaves...

lorijom Posted 7 Nov 2009 , 4:25am
post #16 of 41

I actually cannot wait to deliver the cake. The entire bridal party and most of the guests are dressing in period clothing...flapper dresses, gangster suits. ... What a hoot. I bet this is the only time that I get a wedding cake order for a gangster car, groom's cake maybe but this IS THE cake[/quote]

I wanna go to that party!

I did a fun cake last weekend. Topsy turvy Nightmare before Christmas in black and purple. The whole wedding party and most of the guests wore costumes. I love theme parties/weddings.

Sweet_Treats_1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet_Treats_1 Posted 7 Nov 2009 , 4:26am
post #17 of 41
Quote:

WOW Cant wait to see. Please post pictures!

momma28 Posted 7 Nov 2009 , 4:28am
post #18 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorijom

I wanna go to that party!

I did a fun cake last weekend. Topsy turvy Nightmare before Christmas in black and purple. The whole wedding party and most of the guests wore costumes. I love theme parties/weddings.

If my hubby wasnt working I would "offer" to stay and serve LOL. Wish I would have thought of something like that for my wedding reception icon_smile.gif

Costumes huh?? Too much fun :0 I love creative couples

momma28 Posted 7 Nov 2009 , 4:30am
post #19 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet_Treats_1

Quote:

WOW Cant wait to see. Please post pictures!

I definately will. Finishing touches in the morning. Sometimes I like people knowing me as "That woman who makes cakes that don't look anything like cakes" brings me the fun customers. icon_smile.gif

cookie_fun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookie_fun Posted 7 Nov 2009 , 4:37am
post #20 of 41

I'm doing my first barbie cake. 12" on the bottom and then the barbie cake on top.
Fondant was a bear today, pulled it off 3x before getting it somewhat right.
I'm a novice still, so everything is still hard!

leah_s Posted 7 Nov 2009 , 4:38am
post #21 of 41

tubbs - PM Indydebi about that square cake. She does a blue million of them.

momma28 Posted 7 Nov 2009 , 4:42am
post #22 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by cookie_fun

I'm doing my first barbie cake. 12" on the bottom and then the barbie cake on top.
Fondant was a bear today, pulled it off 3x before getting it somewhat right.
I'm a novice still, so everything is still hard!

Must be something in the air. I am not exactly a novice and I had to redo fondant on a cake today as well. hate that. We ALL have those days, go easy on yourself. Im sure its wonderful!

korensmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
korensmommy Posted 7 Nov 2009 , 4:56am
post #23 of 41

Busy but not too hard night tonight. Had a 9" Super Mario Bros. cake with lots of fondant Mario pieces and a 4" Mario topper, a 1/4 sheet with some fondant letters & decorations and a chocolate covered strawberry dessert cake. Have 2 dozen cupcakes due Sunday.

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 7 Nov 2009 , 4:56am
post #24 of 41

WHAT?!?!?! Is something wrong in the world tonight?! Leah_s you don't have 5 -6 tiered wedding cakes with groom cakes and 30 dz. cupcakes with3 babyshower cakes and 2 birthday cakes tonight?! icon_confused.gif What is the world coming too? I am officially behind. I just put my cakes in the fridge to carve into a topsy cake and need to go work on the monsters from the "Where The Wild Things Are". This is a first for me to be this behind! Let me get off this computer...at least I'll try. icon_biggrin.gif

princelyess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
princelyess Posted 7 Nov 2009 , 5:18am
post #25 of 41

I just got finished helping my best friend, Caroline, decorate 3 dozen cupcakes for a kid's birthday. She wanted to make Thomas the Tank (aka Thomas the Turtle, when I am tired and goofy!), and then came across some cookie monster ones too. I so love doing this, and it is even more fun teaching your best friend (and laughing hysterically in the process). We had great fun tonight!!! icon_biggrin.gif

amysue99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amysue99 Posted 7 Nov 2009 , 5:43am
post #26 of 41

Just a baby shower cake with GP tiara, but it's kicking my butt. Couldn't get the gumpaste a dark enough brown for bows (which are smaller than I'm used to making - why is that harder?) so I'm having to use tootsie rolls - not fun. But, almost done and ready for bed.

MORSELSBYMARK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MORSELSBYMARK Posted 7 Nov 2009 , 5:58am
post #27 of 41

Nothing here either! I am however working my office job tomorrow and agian next weekend (2 6 day weeks back to back), then it's time to start promoting Xmas specials. I will be trying a new cake flavor this weekend though - s'mores!

Brandy982006 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brandy982006 Posted 7 Nov 2009 , 5:58am
post #28 of 41

Just finished a housewarming purse cake for my friend and next is a castle cake. That one I am having a hard time with...I am not using the castle kit, I am making everything myself but I want the design to be a little unique. We'll see what happens, it's not due till Sunday, let's just say I will probably be pulling an all nighter cause the only things I have done is the buttercream and the cake itself. Ugh, I am going to be tired but I love my job so it's worth it thumbs_up.gif

CakeMommyTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommyTX Posted 7 Nov 2009 , 6:18am
post #29 of 41

Trying to finish up the Tin Man, the more I stare at him the more he looks like a silver alien icon_sad.gif
I think I made his eyes too big?
Is he going to scare the birthday girl?
I must be tired because he really freaks me out, I expect him to come alive and tell me "everything floats down here" any minute now!
LL

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 7 Nov 2009 , 6:32am
post #30 of 41

CakemommyTX, he's scary and awesome all at the same time!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%