How Long Do Cake Balls Keep For?

Decorating By scgriffiths Updated 9 Nov 2009 , 4:30pm by Tee-Y

scgriffiths Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scgriffiths Posted 7 Nov 2009 , 3:08am
post #1 of 15

I've been asked to make one of these for Christmas. I'm assuming they're cake balls. (The customer doesn't know, as cake balls are uncommon here, she just thought it looked cool!) Can anyone tell me how long they keep for, and how close to Christmas I should plan to make it?
LL

14 replies
CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 7 Nov 2009 , 3:58am
post #2 of 15

Sealed cakeballs can last a week at room temp, 2 weeks in fridge but only a few days unsealed. I don't mean they start to rot but they don't taste as good so I won't serve/sell them.

If you aniticipate selling this the last 2 weeks before Christmas, I would make the cakeballs and drizzle them with the white chocolate, store them in an airtight container in the fridge. Then prep all the trees so when you get an order you can just place the cakeballs on the tree, wrap and deliver (or whatever).

scgriffiths Posted 7 Nov 2009 , 4:15am
post #3 of 15

Thanks, CakeDiva, so by "sealed" I guess you mean completely covered in chocolate with no air holes??

CakeDiva73 Posted 7 Nov 2009 , 4:21am
post #4 of 15

No, actually by sealed I meant sealed in a bag. I offer truffles unwrapped (for placement on platters for parties, etc), individually wrapped for favors or in gift boxes. If you make those trees and they sit out unwrapped, I think they will lose some of their freshness. They would be fine for a day or two but any longer then that and they don't taste the same.

We had some 4 day old truffles and compared them to the fresh ones and every single kid and adult choose the fresher truffles. I am just really picky about stuff like that. I make the cakeball 'dough' and wrap tightly, freeze or fridge and then take it out when I need it. The added storage time makes for more tasty truffles too. HTH

MaryAllison Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MaryAllison Posted 7 Nov 2009 , 4:48am
post #5 of 15

Thank you for the storage tip, CakeDiva74. I just bought mint Oreos in order to make cake balls for the coming season. This tip will save so much time and frustration!

Make it a great day!

Allison icon_smile.gif

CakeDiva73 Posted 7 Nov 2009 , 4:57am
post #6 of 15

You use Oreo cookies to make cakeballs?

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 7 Nov 2009 , 5:01am
post #7 of 15

Those are toooooo cute. I may have to make some for centerpieces! Would you cover a foam cone w/ chocolate, put a toothpick in the cake ball & stick in the foam? Or is there a different way you could do it? Are those beads wrapped around it (guess fondant beads or round candy could work)? And do you think it's a cookie on top?

scgriffiths Posted 7 Nov 2009 , 11:00am
post #8 of 15

I guess it's going to be a Christmas eve project then! icon_biggrin.gif

Dandelion, I think it may be just a big stack of cake balls!

grandmaruth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grandmaruth Posted 7 Nov 2009 , 11:53am
post #9 of 15

Good Morning! I will take an afternoon and make dozens of cake balls....coated in chocolate and on a stick and keep them in my refrigerator in a cover plastic container and have had them over 2 months...periodically i will take out a dozen to treat my co workers and if someone need a dozen or two they are ready...have never had a complaint ...people especially like them cool too...

beehivebaby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beehivebaby Posted 7 Nov 2009 , 5:53pm
post #10 of 15

technically the oreo ones would be "cookie balls" lol..sounds good though!!!!

Tee-Y Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tee-Y Posted 7 Nov 2009 , 8:12pm
post #11 of 15

Hmm those really look yummy.I'm thinking they are stuck on a long cone like the croquembouche(sp) mold?

CakeDiva73 Posted 7 Nov 2009 , 8:35pm
post #12 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tee-Y

Hmm those really look yummy.I'm thinking they are stuck on a long cone like the croquembouche(sp) mold?

lol, can we rename it 'croquemballs'? icon_lol.gif

Tee-Y Posted 7 Nov 2009 , 8:54pm
post #13 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeDiva73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tee-Y

lol, can we rename it 'croquemballs'? icon_lol.gif

CakeDiva73 !!!!!! ROFLMAO icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif !!!!!!

CakeDiane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiane Posted 7 Nov 2009 , 9:10pm
post #14 of 15

Croquemballs! LOVE IT! LOL

But seriously, how are they stuck onto the cone? Are they on sticks or just stuck there with chocolate??

Tee-Y Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 4:30pm
post #15 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeDiane

Croquemballs! LOVE IT! LOL

But seriously, how are they stuck onto the cone? Are they on sticks or just stuck there with chocolate??

With melted chocolate. The cone could be coated wiyh a layer of melted chocolate then each ball(already coated) dipped in a little chocolate and then stuck on.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%