Edible Icing Images

Decorating By cakemakerkevin Updated 21 Nov 2009 , 2:56pm by icingimages

cakemakerkevin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemakerkevin Posted 6 Nov 2009 , 8:14pm
post #1 of 22

I have a question... Can you use a regular printer and just put the edible ink into it ? is there a certian brand printer to use ? there are so many different ones ,looks like to me just a regular printer, i may be wrong ......

21 replies
Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 6 Nov 2009 , 8:21pm
post #2 of 22

Yes, you use a regular photo printer with edible ink cartridges. You can go to KopyKake.com and look up all of the different makes/models of printers that are used with the edible ink cartridges.

HOWEVER, regular printer ink contains heavy metals and other contaminants, so buy a brand-new, dedicated printer for printing edible images. Don't use one which already had regular printer ink used in it.

Happy researching! icon_smile.gif

PhotoFrost Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PhotoFrost Posted 7 Nov 2009 , 1:12pm
post #3 of 22

Cake Pro is correct for the most part. If you research various companies that offer printing systems just be aware that some do make modifications to the printers to work with Edible Inks and others do not. There are many different models out there that do not require modifications, the main brands are Canon and Epson printers which are used for Edible Ink. You just have to make sure that the model printer you purchase on your own is compatible with the companies cartridges. For Canons I can tell you that any printer which uses a CLI-8 cartridges or CLI-221 cartridges set is defenitely compatible. The Epsons I do not know them all so can not really help you out there. Hope this information helps and of course if you are not sure, you can always call whichever company and ask if a particular printer you found will work or not before buying it. Happy Printing and best of luck. icon_smile.gif

antoinette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
antoinette Posted 7 Nov 2009 , 1:59pm
post #4 of 22

I have an Epson Workforce 600 that I bought at Best Buy when they were on sale. I ordered my edible ink from Ediblesupply.com Their inks are spongeless which can harbor bacteria. You also get more ink in the tanks without the sponges according to them. You also don't have to mess with a chip or a chip re-setter or something to that effect. When I was searching for edible ink I ran into that and it just seemed too much of a hassle. This company's shipping is super fast! Yo can call and ask them any questions you might have. I just used my printer and edible ink and I have no complaints at all. Colors are bright and vivid. No complaints here. Their website tells you what printers they carry ink for. DO NOT BUY PRINTER/EDIBLE INK PACKAGES FROM OTHER WEBSITES! WAY TOO EXPENSIVE. The Epson Workforce is a little pricey, but my husband bought, so I got the best I could. There are way less pricey to choose from that can be used with edible ink, just check the edible ink websites and they tell you what printers they carry ink for.. You must have a printer dedicated solely for edible images. Do not ever put regular ink tank in your edible image printer. Sorry so long, but I did alot of research before I bought and am glad I did. Very happy with ink and printer. HTH

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 7 Nov 2009 , 2:14pm
post #5 of 22

I have a Canon ip3000. Ink from ediblesupply.com is $50, while the ink from icingimages.com is $46. Not exactly cheaper for me.

I used Kopykake's cartridges for 4 years, and almost every time I went more than a week between prints, I had to take the printhead out of the printer and soak it/clean it to clear the clogged ink. Since switching to Icing Images' inks about a year ago, I have had absolutely FLAWLESS and clog-free printing, with 2 months between prints. Plus the frosting sheets from Icing Images actually taste good. I am a VERY happy Icing Images customer.

Kerry_Kake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kerry_Kake Posted 7 Nov 2009 , 2:44pm
post #6 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakepro

I have a Canon ip3000. Ink from ediblesupply.com is $50, while the ink from icingimages.com is $46. Not exactly cheaper for me.

I used Kopykake's cartridges for 4 years, and almost every time I went more than a week between prints, I had to take the printhead out of the printer and soak it/clean it to clear the clogged ink. Since switching to Icing Images' inks about a year ago, I have had absolutely FLAWLESS and clog-free printing, with 2 months between prints. Plus the frosting sheets from Icing Images actually taste good. I am a VERY happy Icing Images customer.

I can second that! I am a very happy Icing Images customer icon_smile.gif Although my printhead got clogged on my iP4500 and had to get it replaced after one year. Now I have a iP4600 and ordered new cartridges from Icing Images and WOW are my pictures VIVID!!!! I'm not really sure why they are so much brighter then my old printer icon_rolleyes.gif
I feel very comfortable with Icing Images, they will answer any question and will help you with maintenance.

CC22504 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CC22504 Posted 7 Nov 2009 , 4:01pm
post #7 of 22

I too have been wanting to try edible images. I ran into this website that sells the edible ink

http://www.cake-decorating-supply.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=15.

I too have a cannon CLI-221 so it does accept edible ink. I am going to look into the site that cake pro mentioned as well. It is good to shop around.

EdibleSupply-Com Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EdibleSupply-Com Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 4:16am
post #8 of 22

Dear Kerry-Kake:

Are you having the new gold label cartridges for Icing Imaging?

Kerry_Kake Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 5:26pm
post #9 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdibleSupply-Com

Dear Kerry-Kake:

Are you having the new gold label cartridges for Icing Imaging?

Yes, I order the gold label cartridges for my iP4600. I didn't know they even carried the cartridges for the 4600 because it wasn't listed. But they now have it listed in their list of printers after I messaged them. icon_smile.gif

EdibleSupply-Com Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 5:46pm
post #10 of 22

Icing Imaging will be very happy that you post your feedback.

icingimages Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icingimages Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 4:36am
post #11 of 22

Thank you Kerry_Kake and Cakepro for all your kind words. We try to do our best in offering the best products so our Icing Images family acheives success in all the areas of edible printing. Please contact us if you ever have questions as we will be glad to assist you!

bennett5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bennett5 Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 5:27am
post #12 of 22

Sorry but what are gold label cartridges?? I always order from Icing Images and dont know what those are... Thank you !

icingimages Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 11:48am
post #13 of 22

The newer series of printers take what we call a Gold Label Cartridge. It is a spongless cartridge and the ink has been highly filtered for better results. We cant clog it! Beleive me...we keep trying. In addition, the colors are vivid, probably the best I have ever seen in 10 years. Refilling is simple as it is done directly in the printer so no more ink spills. We will be offering some sort of special deal for our current customers to upgrade their printer, if they purchased it from us.

We have also introduced a huge addition to our current premium paper line. As well as a new chocolate line of Premium Icing Sheet and Chocolate Transfers.

You can call us between 9-5 est toll free at 888-442-4648.

Kerry_Kake Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 7:55pm
post #14 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by icingimages

The newer series of printers take what we call a Gold Label Cartridge. It is a spongless cartridge and the ink has been highly filtered for better results. We cant clog it! Beleive me...we keep trying. In addition, the colors are vivid, probably the best I have ever seen in 10 years. Refilling is simple as it is done directly in the printer so no more ink spills. We will be offering some sort of special deal for our current customers to upgrade their printer, if they purchased it from us.

We have also introduced a huge addition to our current premium paper line. As well as a new chocolate line of Premium Icing Sheet and Chocolate Transfers.

You can call us between 9-5 est toll free at 888-442-4648.

Yes it is WAY more VIVID!!! So it's spongeless, that's the difference? It's the same refill ink that goes into the other cartridges though isn't it?

EdibleSupply-Com Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 9:39am
post #15 of 22

Edible ink cartridge should be treated as any food grade product, have you ever seen any drinks / syrups / sauce, any liquid form food product ever contain any sponge? The answer is no. Sponge is not safe; there is a potential high risk of a serious health problem that comes from bacteria that grows in the sponge.

Spongless cartridge is especially designed for the edible ink, safe for people to consume, Extra ink is a added value of this new design, the most important is: all the ink in the spongless cartridge are 100% useable, which means all the ink you can see, all the ink you can use. till the last drip of it. Unlike traditional cartridge with sponge that the sponge part already holds up significant amount of ink, you can see them but can not drain them out of the sponge and use it. You either need to refill them or buy a new set. Which is a big waste consider the price that you paid for the ink.

icingimages Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 10:28pm
post #16 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerry_Kake

[Yes it is WAY more VIVID!!! So it's spongeless, that's the difference? It's the same refill ink that goes into the other cartridges though isn't it?

Actually, the inks and cartridges are different. Each company generally will make their own inks. That is one of the reasons you will see differences in colors as well as clogging or not clogging. You will aslo hear different experiences with different users. The spongless cartridge is better in my opinion then the sponged. The sponge acts like a filter and helps to control the ink flow. So if you think about it like a coffee filter, if you refill over and over again, that filter gets a little yuckey (I have kids). There is no way to change the filter other than to change the cartridge itself. In addition, if there is no sponge in the way, then you actually get more ink per set of cartridges. Now...in order to use a spongeless cartridge, you must have ink that is very well filtered since there is no sponge there to filter the ink. So you will find the quaility of the ink much higher with fewer impurities. I hope this is helpful!)

Kerry_Kake Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 2:31am
post #17 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by icingimages

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerry_Kake

[Yes it is WAY more VIVID!!! So it's spongeless, that's the difference? It's the same refill ink that goes into the other cartridges though isn't it?

Actually, the inks and cartridges are different. Each company generally will make their own inks. That is one of the reasons you will see differences in colors as well as clogging or not clogging. You will aslo hear different experiences with different users. The spongless cartridge is better in my opinion then the sponged. The sponge acts like a filter and helps to control the ink flow. So if you think about it like a coffee filter, if you refill over and over again, that filter gets a little yuckey (I have kids). There is no way to change the filter other than to change the cartridge itself. In addition, if there is no sponge in the way, then you actually get more ink per set of cartridges. Now...in order to use a spongeless cartridge, you must have ink that is very well filtered since there is no sponge there to filter the ink. So you will find the quaility of the ink much higher with fewer impurities. I hope this is helpful!)

I still have ink left in my refill bottles from my iP4500 can I use this refill ink for my iP4600?
I assumed the ink wouldn't go as far since it seems to use more on the picture.

icingimages Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 11:52am
post #18 of 22

I wouldnt...sorry. Only becuase the ink for the 4600 is filtered differently and I would be worried that it may cause problems. Normally I am one who never wastes, but in this case, I wouldnt.

Kerry_Kake Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 1:37pm
post #19 of 22

Debbie, I don't see the refill bottles for the gold label cartridges. You only have the set of cartridges and separate ones listed. Do you have the refills?

icingimages Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 5:33pm
post #20 of 22

Yes we do, they are not on the website. If you order the chipoped ones, but put a note on the order that you want the gold label ones, we will send the correct ones. I apologize, I did nt realize they were not up there until recently, the programmer is working on it. Or feel free to call

EdibleSupply-Com Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 6:03am
post #21 of 22

by using 100% SPONGELESS DESIGN CARTRIDGE for edible ink can reduce chemical reaction, prevent bacteria growth, keep ink color vivid and ink stability for long shelf life.

icingimages Posted 21 Nov 2009 , 2:56pm
post #22 of 22

The refills are up on my website. THere is also a picture showing how easy it is to do!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%