What Is Foamcore And Where Do I Get It?

Decorating By connie0603 Updated 6 Nov 2009 , 8:21pm by cakebaker1957

connie0603 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
connie0603 Posted 6 Nov 2009 , 2:48am
post #1 of 4

I need to use foamcore under a car cake, does it cut to fit the car? Where do you get it?

3 replies
icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 6 Nov 2009 , 3:05am
post #2 of 4

they sell it at some dollar stores. i get mine from acmoore or michaels arts and craft.. comes in 3/16" thickness.. and 1/2 inch thickness. the thicker one. decorators use it a lot for the bottom tier of a wedding cake.. some use that thickness for any tier.. i use it for square cakes.. and for lots of different sizes for my cakes. i cut mine with box knife or hot exacto knife.. different decorators use different things to get theirs cut. i cut and cover each board.. before i put the cake on it.. i use the 3/16" under the smaller tieres on a stacked cake.. and the 1/2" thickness sometimes under the bottom tier. it just depends on what i am doing as to how it use these boards. i get them when they are on sale.. dollar usually

connie0603 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
connie0603 Posted 6 Nov 2009 , 3:10am
post #3 of 4

THANK YOUR!

cakebaker1957 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaker1957 Posted 6 Nov 2009 , 8:21pm
post #4 of 4

Icer101,
Do you use cardboards along with the foam core? And if you don't , Then is the 1/2 in sturdy for a base for the very bottom cake? And what do you cover them in ?? also I have been asked to do a cake for this June, and i believe they will go with a tiered cake , So i want to use my wilton stand the one with the tubes that connect together and you have to make holes in the cake to slide down the poles , Would the foamcore be better than cardboard?? and would you cover them in press and seal?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%