Giant Frangipani Cake

Decorating By Setty Updated 6 Nov 2009 , 10:31pm by Setty

Setty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Setty Posted 6 Nov 2009 , 12:37am
post #1 of 9

Hi Guys and Gals,

I've just received an order from a woman who wants a giant frangipani cake for her birthday. Obviously getting the cake into the shape of a frangipani is no biggie but she wants it to actually look like a real flower on top.
Any suggestions?
I was considering icing the cake in buttercream and making a giant frangipani out of sugarpaste to be placed on the top - around 10 inches or so. I figure this would be the 'easiest' as it gives me more ability to get the curve of the petals and the spiral appearance in the centre.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts! icon_smile.gif

Setty

8 replies
HowCoolGomo1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HowCoolGomo1 Posted 6 Nov 2009 , 12:57am
post #2 of 9

I think you're on the right track.

My question is how are you going to make the sugarpaste petals? You know give them the curve and swirl in the middle.

Since you want to do the flower up top, are you going to try and do the bottom as leaves?

And, I am a moron, what are you going to use as molds to get the curves right?

ApplegumKitchen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ApplegumKitchen Posted 6 Nov 2009 , 1:13am
post #3 of 9

Right on your Australian door-step!! icon_biggrin.gif

Bettina (ozgirl) - did this tutorial for Cakes&More Forum/Blog and a version of it was show-cased in the Challenge Competition in Sydney

http://www.cakesandmore.org/blog/?s=frangipani+cake

Setty Posted 6 Nov 2009 , 5:39am
post #4 of 9

THANKYOU!! Exactly what I needed and doesn't look too complicated either.

CandyCU Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CandyCU Posted 6 Nov 2009 , 6:22am
post #5 of 9

That's a great tutorial to base your cake on!

Although, the very 1st thought that popped into my mind when I looked at the finished cake (apart from WOW!) was "hhhmmm, frangis aren't usually flat on top like that" - so I thought "how about if you cut away at the middle or build up the outer petal edge to give it a more open flower look?" or would that just complicate things even more?

I hope this helps and I haven't stuck my nose in too far!

HowCoolGomo1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HowCoolGomo1 Posted 6 Nov 2009 , 7:54am
post #6 of 9

I'm Sarcastic and I have a Smart-arse attitude ...... its a natural defense against Drama, Bullshit and Stupidity

If you don't mind, I'm going to borrow the above. Never actually figured out how to say it properly and well.

krissycupcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
krissycupcakes Posted 6 Nov 2009 , 8:08am
post #7 of 9

wow i didnt know the name of this flower actually opened this up not knowing what you were talking about but so glad i did because this is such a nice flwer cake

Deani Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deani Posted 6 Nov 2009 , 9:27am
post #8 of 9

If client wants it to look 'real' a real frangipani only has five petals, not six like in the tutorial. The tutorial is fantastic btw. Makes it look relatively easy.

Setty Posted 6 Nov 2009 , 10:31pm
post #9 of 9

LOL! Didn't even notice that the cake in the tutorial had six petals!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%