Questions About Mmf

Decorating By Rachie204 Updated 7 Nov 2009 , 11:14am by snocilla

Rachie204 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rachie204 Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 9:33pm
post #1 of 8

Okay so I just finished making my MMF....This is the third time I have tried(first two were awful) and this time I also did it in my mixer...(so much easier).

Anyways I had a few questions....

1.)The MMF is not sticky but after I kneed it for a bit it gets slightly sticky on the bottom...Does this mean I should add a little more sugar or is this the right consistency?

2.) I have heard to put it in the fridge to rest and also set it on the counter which is best?

3.) Where can I find the size I should roll it out to...(i don't have a mat)

4.) What is the best way to keep it from sticking when I roll it out?...Powdered sugar...Crisco...corn starch?

Any help would be appreciated...I really want to conquer this....

TIA
~Rachel

7 replies
snocilla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snocilla Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 9:53pm
post #2 of 8

1) You may want to add a little bit of powdered sugar, but it's probably fine
2) I usually leave it on the counter - wrapped in plastic wrap and then put in a ziplock bag
3) no idea
4) I usually use shortening on my hands, and either cornstarch or powdered sugar on the rolling pin and work surface.

HTH

melmar02 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melmar02 Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 9:57pm
post #3 of 8

1. It sounds like you need more cornstarch on your surface. Mine does the same thing.

2. I have let mine rest both ways and don't notice a difference. I usually do all my cake work at night, so in the morning I'll take is out of the fridge before I go to work. This way it has time to warm up - you can't really work with cold fondant. You can also put it in the microwave for very short intervals - 15 seconds at a time or so if you need it softer.

3. If you don't have a mat, you can add the dimensions of your cake - side + side + top = total length of fondant needed.

4. I prefer cornstarch or a PS/cornstarch mixture, but I've used crisco too. The crisco seems to make it too soft for me.

Keep practicing, and you'll find what works for you! icon_biggrin.gif

Rachie204 Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 10:28pm
post #4 of 8

Thank you both for your responses...I will try your suggestions and post a pic when I get my cake completed.

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 10:43pm
post #5 of 8

It needs more powdered sugar. It should not be sticky - it should be smooth. I have never put mine in the refigerator to cure, just wrap in in plastic wrap and let set out on the counter.

You can get vinyl at the fabric department at walmart or joanns - heavy duty upholstery vinyl, very cheap and you can cut it to whatever size you want.

I use crisco only to roll out the fondant for covering cakes. No dusty cakes, and it looks like satin when I am done. (using the vinyl mat, lightly greased with shortning - works like a charm)

To get the size you need take the side x 2 and add the top - I usually add an inch for good measure too. For example an 8" cake that is 4" tall, I would roll a 17" circle.

Rachie204 Posted 7 Nov 2009 , 12:39am
post #6 of 8

i finished my first fondant covered cake. Thanks for all the help ... here is the picture...

Rachie204 Posted 7 Nov 2009 , 12:40am
post #7 of 8

oh well didnt work....it is in my pics if u care to see. it is black and white.

snocilla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snocilla Posted 7 Nov 2009 , 11:14am
post #8 of 8

Great job! It looks really cute!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%