All These Leftover Egg Yolks....

Decorating By amberkw Updated 8 Nov 2009 , 10:55pm by 7yyrt

amberkw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amberkw Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 9:33pm
post #1 of 26

So goes the old saying,"Waste not, want not." What to do w/ all my egg yolks leftover from using egg whites for my cakes? Add a few whole eggs and scramble them up for breakfast? No, really. Any baking ideas?

25 replies
Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 9:34pm
post #2 of 26

All sorts of custards. To save put them in ice cube trays, and freeze, then bag them up.

Mike

sugarMomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarMomma Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 9:43pm
post #3 of 26

creme brulee....yum

dstbni Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dstbni Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 9:45pm
post #4 of 26

The Wilton website has an awesome pecan praline filling recipe that uses 8 egg yolks.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 9:46pm
post #5 of 26

You know I used to save them all the time (I make a LOT of white cakes) and freeze the yolks to make creme brulee or bavarian cream or something, but I never needed that much bavarian cream or creme brulee and they wound up freezer burnt.......now i"ve just resorted to using meringue powder in the place of the egg whites in my cakes and there is no difference in taste or texture and now I don't have to keep a million eggs around either since 2/3 of my cakes are white, for all other flavors, choc., yellow, red velvet, carrot,, etc. I use whole eggs...the meringue powder winds up costing about the same as eggs but I can keep a ton on hand and don't have to freak out if I run out of eggs halfway through mixing a cake!

Ruth0209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruth0209 Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 9:52pm
post #6 of 26

As much as it hurts my heart, I throw them down the drain. I tried freezing them, but I think it changes the stucture of them because they were yucky when I thawed them. At least eggs are cheap...

MrsNancyB1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsNancyB1 Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 9:57pm
post #7 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth0209

As much as it hurts my heart, I throw them down the drain. I tried freezing them, but I think it changes the stucture of them because they were yucky when I thawed them. At least eggs are cheap...

Totally OT, but Ruth I LOVE your siggy line. Because it is SO true, and hits close to home with me right now. thumbs_up.gif

tenleysmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tenleysmommy Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 10:01pm
post #8 of 26

I make creme brulee,my family and neighbors love ME!

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 10:13pm
post #9 of 26

Oh yes, creme brulee. I'm actually eating one right now.

-Tubbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-Tubbs Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 10:17pm
post #10 of 26

Yummy custards etc, but why not just buy the cartons of egg whites? I use them for SMBC and they work really well.

anamado Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anamado Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 11:11pm
post #11 of 26

For me it's the opposite icon_biggrin.gif
I freeze Egg whites!
Here in Portugal there are lots of ancient recipes that use only yolks, and people don't know what to do with the whites.
I don't really make then, what I do is icecreams! Homemade icecreams use only yolks.
My kids love them and I rather make them than buying them.

I'm going to translate to you one of this ancient recipes (centuries)

* 500 grs of granulated sugar (about 2 cups + 2 T)
* 3 dl water (about 10 US fluid ounces)
* 24 yolks
* 0,5 dl Brandy (about 17 US fluid ounces)
* 1 teaspoon of Cinnamon (optional)
* butter for the pan

Put in a pan the sugar with the water and boil for 3 minutes.
Let it cool completely and ad, mixing very well the 24 yolks (beat them slightly and pour them through a colander to the syrup).
Then ad the brandy and cinnamon.
Put it on a pan well greased with butter. Take it to the oven on a tray with water (bath) for an hour + - (check it)
Once it's cool put it on a plate and serve it cold (refrigerator)

Another more modern one icon_smile.gif

http://preparandoalgo.blogs.sapo.pt/1117.html

1 cup of sugar
1 cup yolks
pinch of salt
1 T butter
1t cornstarch
1/4 cup of Port wine (or brandy or something alike)
orange zest (1)

Mix it without beating. Cover a pan with caramel (burned sugar) and pour it inside. Cook it in a water bath, covered and inside a big pan covered too (as steam cooked).

I hope you understand my English icon_lol.gif

TitiaM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TitiaM Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 11:23pm
post #12 of 26

French Buttercream! Its yummy! icon_biggrin.gif (basically IMBC made with yolks instead of whites) Works great for fillings, ok for icing, its softer and slightly yellow in color.

ramie7224 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ramie7224 Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 11:24pm
post #13 of 26

I always just use cartons of pasturized egg whites. Costs about the same as eggs, and saves you the trouble of figuring out what to do with the yolks. I use the same in my IMBC.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 11:27pm
post #14 of 26

i make the chocolate french buttercream with the egg yolks.. dede wilson has a recipe in her first book.. she doesn,t call it french.. but i have one from our newspaper.. similiar. and it is called chocolate french buttercream. again .. made like imbc.. but uses the yolks..

cakewhiz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakewhiz Posted 6 Nov 2009 , 6:35am
post #15 of 26

I have been creating cakes for 33 years now and I have made thousands of white cakes. Never have I ever thrown away an egg yolk because I use the whole egg in my white cakes. The cakes turn out white in color and I swear they are more moist because I do use the yolks.

P.S. please do not send me your left over yolks!

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 6 Nov 2009 , 6:56am
post #16 of 26
krissycupcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
krissycupcakes Posted 6 Nov 2009 , 8:05am
post #17 of 26

annamado your english is great it sounds like a flan to me but i could be wronge at first look but thanks for the idea

poohsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poohsmomma Posted 6 Nov 2009 , 1:09pm
post #18 of 26

I have a great recipe for a Kentucky Stack Pie that uses 10 egg yolks. I would be glad to send the recipe.

CakesByLJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByLJ Posted 6 Nov 2009 , 1:35pm
post #19 of 26

Egg yolks? Easy choice... Lemon or Lime curd; makes a great filling for that white cake icon_biggrin.gif

anamado Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anamado Posted 6 Nov 2009 , 2:07pm
post #20 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by krissycupcakes

annamado your english is great it sounds like a flan to me but i could be wronge at first look but thanks for the idea

Yes it's similar but much more dense. Well, at least by what we call flan here. Names change in every country. Same names for different or similar things icon_biggrin.gif In Portugal, flan is milk sugar and eggs.

casmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
casmom Posted 6 Nov 2009 , 2:12pm
post #21 of 26

Where I used to live, we have a traditional cake that's made from at least 10 eggs yolk per layer. And each cake consists of 3 layers, so that's 30 egg yolks total for an approx. 9x9x2 in. pan. I haven't made them yet but I've heard from friends that you really have to use a LOT of egg yolks. Some recipes even use 15 yolks. Wow!! Talk about calories. Here's a picture (not mine, just found it online) and I'll try to find the recipe and post it later.

It's my first time attaching a picture, so I don't know if it works or not.
LL

amberkw Posted 6 Nov 2009 , 8:28pm
post #22 of 26

Any recipes would be great! No cakes this weekend- So far! Maybe I will try some creme brulee. WAIT don't you need a torch for that? Where do you get those anyhow. I am putting one on my list to Santa. So maybe it will be a custard.

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 6 Nov 2009 , 8:53pm
post #23 of 26

I make sauce for dinner. These two are great and super easy and go with veggies or meat of practically any kind. Very creamy and naughty.

http://www.astray.com/recipes/?search=blender%20bearnaise

http://www.astray.com/recipes/?search=blender%20hollandaise

And here is what came up when I just typed in egg yolk.

http://www.astray.com/recipes/?search=egg%20yolk

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 8 Nov 2009 , 5:32am
post #24 of 26

To freeze egg yolks just scramble them with a little salt or sugar first. Freeze in freezer bags in recipe amounts.

amberkw Posted 8 Nov 2009 , 9:04pm
post #25 of 26

What does adding salt or sugar do?

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 8 Nov 2009 , 10:55pm
post #26 of 26

I think it breaks up the yolks so they don't crystallize into large pieces.
When you stir either in, it gets sort of 'grainy' feeling.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%