Need Red Velvet Recipe Stat! Please Help!

Baking By forheavenscake Updated 5 Nov 2009 , 10:57pm by BlakesCakes

forheavenscake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
forheavenscake Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 5:12pm
post #1 of 5

Does anyone know a delicious red velvet recipe?? I have never made one before, and I am scared to make a nasty one and I don't have time to try 2 or 3 different recipes. I looked in the gallery but there are soo many. . .does anyone know of a good one that is delicious?!?!?

Thanks so much!

4 replies
debster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debster Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 5:33pm
post #2 of 5

Cakeman Raven is known for his red velvet cake here ya go.........................

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/sara-moulton/southern-red-velvet-cake-recipe/index.html

If the link doesn't' work google cake man ravens red velvet cake recipe.

I wanted to add I use boxed mixes cause home made cakes are dry for me Duncan Hines has a red velvet I use it all the time nice and moist.

ArtieTs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ArtieTs Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 5:36pm
post #3 of 5

for the most part they all have similar ingredients but I pesonally prefer ones that call for oil instead of butter. They ones I've tried using butter were not that good to me, but you be the judge. Oh! and remember to get one that calls for the flour, salt, soda & cocoa to be sifted. HTH & good luck thumbs_up.gif

DMJ69 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DMJ69 Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 5:49pm
post #4 of 5

Actually I just finished making 4 cakes with my recipe, which always goes over fantastic. In fact I need to make 1 more in a couple of min.

1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 lg. eggs
2 heaping TBSP cocoa
1-1oz bottle red food color
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
2 1/4 cups cake flour
1 cup buttermilk
2 tsp vanilla
1 TBSP vinegar

In a stand mixer beat on med/high speed- butter, sugar and vanilla until light and fluffy, about 8-10 min. Add in eggs, and beat until fluffy and smooth about 5 min. Add in food color and just mix until incorperated. Sift together all dry ingredients. Turn mixer to low and slowly add in flour mixture and buttermilk alternately. Mix until just barely combined. Stop mixer and scrap down sides. Turn mixer on med/high and mix for 30 seconds( DO NOT MIX MORE THAN THAT), just until smooth. Remove from stand and stir in vinegar. Bake as you normally would. I bake at 325 and use baking strips to keep my cakes moist.
Tips- I also use. Bake the day before needed. Before the cakes are completely cool I double wrap them in plastic wrap and let sit overnight. Next day I will frost and decorate as normal. I find that baking the day before and wrapping them they keep the moisture locked in.

HTH

Dawn

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 10:57pm
post #5 of 5

I make a doctored recipe with DH red velvet and get rave reviews:

http://cakecentral.com/recipes/7573/red-velvet-redux-easy-durable

Rae

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%