Texture -- Basketball?

Decorating By kcassano Updated 6 Nov 2009 , 1:04am by JenniferMI

kcassano Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kcassano Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 2:50pm
post #1 of 14

Anyone have any tricks for getting the texture that appears on a basketball?!!! Not sure if there is a mat out there that would work or some other crafty alternative. thanks in advance!!!

13 replies
__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 2:52pm
post #2 of 14

Well, it wouldn't be round like the bumpies on a real ball, but I use a piece of that plastic sheet for crossstitching to emboss on shoes and things that need a bumpy texture.

scionmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scionmom Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 2:53pm
post #3 of 14

Maybe if you used a crusting BC and instead of smoothing it with a Viva towel, use one that had the bumps on it... I think that would work.

diane706 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane706 Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 2:54pm
post #4 of 14

You can try using a piece of paper towel with similar texture. That's what I did on a BB cake I made. Worked perfectly! Just smooth over the paper towel with your hands after the BC crusts.

kcassano Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kcassano Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 2:57pm
post #5 of 14

i forgot to mention -- cake will be covered in fondant.

diane706 Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 3:00pm
post #6 of 14

ooooohhhh, okay. hmmmm.... something with bumps on it that you can press into fondant.... I'll have to think about this one but I'm sure we'll come up with something for ya! thumbs_up.gif

diane706 Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 3:02pm
post #7 of 14

ooh ooh I know, you can try using the foam-y shelf liner. I've used that numerous times to make bumpy impressions in fondant. I think it would be perfect!

Edited to add that there were a couple of posts regarding the use of Contact Paper in cake decorating and the potential dangers. Since this product (even though different) is sold in the same section and for the same use (shelf liner) you may want to check to see if it's food safe. I would before using it again after reading those enlightening threads. Now I'm going to keep my mouth shut! icon_biggrin.gif

jewels710 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jewels710 Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 4:01pm
post #8 of 14

Above post said the shelf liner stuff...I used the rubbery (obviously brand new) stuff you put under a rug to keep it from slipping..I think that is the same as what diane706 was talking about.
Worked GREAT

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 5:12pm
post #9 of 14

i used a kitchen towel for a similar kind of look, just pressed in into the fondant one it was on the cake.
xx

debster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debster Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 5:27pm
post #10 of 14

I do the paper towel on the crusting buttercream it works like a charm, just let the icing dry good first and press away. I just buy the paper towel that resembles the ball at the time I'm looking.

poohsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poohsmomma Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 7:08pm
post #11 of 14

I just did a small basketball in fondant. I used a mesh strainer to press into the ball to get the grainy texture.

creations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
creations Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 7:17pm
post #12 of 14

LEGOS lol the top of a lego to make the impression just a thought lol

grandmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grandmom Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 9:51pm
post #13 of 14

Press N Seal leaves a bumpy texture when you roll a pin over it on fondant.

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 6 Nov 2009 , 1:04am
post #14 of 14

A tight knit onion bag?

Jen icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%