Ganache Question.

Decorating By Bel_Anne Updated 16 Dec 2010 , 6:16pm by mom2twogrlz

Bel_Anne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bel_Anne Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 12:16pm
post #1 of 8

When decorating a fondant cake, I generally bake one day (straight into the freezer), ganache the next, then decorate the day after..

I was just wondering how long ganache will last on a cake outside the fridge? Seeing that I don't refrigerate my fondant cakes. And is it only good 'til the expiry date of the cream? I'm getting a lot of contradictory information. Thanks!

7 replies
prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 6:59pm
post #2 of 8

Ganache is good outside the fridge for a couple of weeks at least.

Bel_Anne Posted 6 Nov 2009 , 12:34am
post #3 of 8

Oh my gosh, really??? What about the cream's expiry date? Does anyone know the chemical reason why that is disregarded when boiled??

And how come we don't get emails notifications when we get photo comments and forum replies anymore? icon_smile.gif

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 6 Nov 2009 , 8:02am
post #4 of 8

It's always been my understanding that ganache has a room temp life of approximately 2-3 days, and a fridge life of closer to a week. Freezes well for storage though. For what it's worth, I do a 1:1 ratio ganache using 65-70% dark chocolate. I feel perfectly comfortable leaving the cake out for 3 days (not likely it will remain uneaten longer than that icon_lol.gif) I have left ganache in the fridge for several weeks and although it doesn't spoil, mine has gotten stale tasting. Thus I usually throw any uneaten ganache in the freezer at the 1-week mark. Your mileage may vary.

I think the longer shelf life refers to truffles, which usually have twice the chocolate content. Then again here is a great-looking 2:1 truffle recipe which only allows a 2-3 week shelf life in the FRIDGE http://www.firelillychocolates.com/chocolate_truffles.html . Conversely, this recipe on epicurious http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Chocolate-Truffles-233316 allows 2-3 weeks at room temp in an airtight container.

Go figure!

Some interesting info on ganache here www.ba*king9*11.com/chocolate/ganache_truffles.htm but note that you must paste that url into your browser bar and then DELETE THE ASTERISKS in order to access the site. it explains a bit of your question of "why" Bel_Anne.

Can't answer your other question though - it's been a bug for quite some time. I get email notifications for forum replies, but if I STARTED the thread, I must return to the thread and mark my thread as "Watch this topic for replies" in order to get emails. I know, you'd think a thread that you start would automatically Watch for replies, but it doesn't icon_rolleyes.gif. I'll bet you get an email for THIS post of mine, since you automatically Watch a thread if you are the 2nd or more post.

Bunsen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bunsen Posted 6 Nov 2009 , 9:13am
post #5 of 8

If you boil the cream it kills any bacteria in it - like pasteurising milk - so it extends the shelf life. Also the more chocolate in the ganache the longer it lasts so the 2:1 ratio under fondant lasts longer than pouring ganache (1:1 ratio)
Personally I find it lasts a weeks out of the fridge and 2-3 weeks in the fridge - the more you work it the more bacteria you introduce so the quicker it will spoil.

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 6 Nov 2009 , 10:03pm
post #6 of 8

Ooh good point Bunsen - I always turn my ganache into whipped ganache, which could explain the shortened life.

Bel_Anne Posted 11 Nov 2009 , 2:46am
post #7 of 8

Thanks Bunsen! You've answered a few of my questions on here... haha.

And thanks for the link Ceshell... I'll have a read of those now. icon_smile.gif

mom2twogrlz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2twogrlz Posted 16 Dec 2010 , 6:16pm
post #8 of 8

How will you know when the ganache isn't good anymore?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%