Gumpaste Or Gumpaste/fondant Mixture Or Chocolate? Which?

Decorating By JustToEatCake Updated 5 Nov 2009 , 5:08am by JanH

JustToEatCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JustToEatCake Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 6:29pm
post #1 of 7

I am a going to make my dad a birthday cake and I want to put on top of it a standing FLAT sihlouette <sp> of a boat and the sun. I know how to do this in sculpey..haha..but I don't want that to go on his cake. So my question is what would be firm enough to stand <in frosting with picks if necessary behind>. Any suggestions?

Also in using the gumpaste recipe it says use the paddle on your mixer..well...I have the old style (but heavy duty) two blade mixer will that work for making gumpaste or get too gummed up? What about the bread beaters instead? Thanks a bunch!

6 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 6:41pm
post #2 of 7

I think gumpaste would be your best bet, or if you don't want to make gumpaste, a mix of fondant and tylose or gum-tex (but tylose is better). If you use fondant, plan several days at least for it to dry.

Which gumpaste recipe are you looking at? If it's the Nicholas Lodge recipe, it doesn't get thick until you add the tylose, so you could use the mixer up until that stage and then stir it in by hand, maybe...I haven't tried it that way but that's what I had to do with really thick cookie dough when I had a regular mixer.

alanaj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alanaj Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 6:51pm
post #3 of 7

I usually use a dough hook. No problem. I mix by hand first though. I personally would use gumpaste and let it dry a couple days (depending on the recipe). HTH

JustToEatCake Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 10:46pm
post #4 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Rose

I think gumpaste would be your best bet, or if you don't want to make gumpaste, a mix of fondant and tylose or gum-tex (but tylose is better). If you use fondant, plan several days at least for it to dry.

Which gumpaste recipe are you looking at? If it's the Nicholas Lodge recipe, it doesn't get thick until you add the tylose, so you could use the mixer up until that stage and then stir it in by hand, maybe...I haven't tried it that way but that's what I had to do with really thick cookie dough when I had a regular mixer.

Thanks, that's the recipe I was going to try from reading about it here on the forum. I do have Tylose already (never used it yet though). Can you tell me what ends up being the difference between fondant with tylose added and gumpaste? Is one sturdier? Dries faster, more workable, etc? I'm very confused about this. From reading some of the posts it seems that fondant with tylose added "is" gum paste, or just like it or just as good. I haven't a clue!!

Thanks for the help.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 10:51pm
post #5 of 7

The Nicholas Lodge recipe is lighter and fluffier and stretchier than fondant with tylose added to it. It dries faster too.

Here's the smaller version of the recipe that I'd seen before: http://mycakedecoclub.forumotion.net/modeling-pastes-f13/tylose-gumpaste-recipe-t166.htm

JustToEatCake Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 11:44pm
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Rose

The Nicholas Lodge recipe is lighter and fluffier and stretchier than fondant with tylose added to it. It dries faster too.

Here's the smaller version of the recipe that I'd seen before: http://mycakedecoclub.forumotion.net/modeling-pastes-f13/tylose-gumpaste-recipe-t166.htm

Oh thank you! I am going try this tomorrow if I get to stay home! Crossing my fingers no one calls me to do something for them!! Thank you again!

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 5:08am
post #7 of 7

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%