Edible Image Transfer Question

Decorating By meredith1851 Updated 5 Nov 2009 , 1:56pm by PhotoFrost

meredith1851 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meredith1851 Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 6:25pm
post #1 of 10

I am working with my first edible image and was wondering a few things:

1. Is it ok to refridgerate the Buttercream iced cake before applying the image or will the cold effect the transfer?

2. How long does it take for the image to absorb or is it supposed to stay sort of 'seperate'?

3. Am I supposed to rub the whole image to get it to absorb, just the edges, or not at all?

Thanks!

9 replies
Trish43 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Trish43 Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 6:40pm
post #2 of 10

I found that it is better to transfer your edible image after you frost your cake with buttercream because if frosting is hard or starting to crust you have to apply a little water mist. Once you apply the image you cake lightly rub the whole image including sides. the image will absorb better at room temperature about 15-20 minutes. I found that using water makes the color run.

charleezgal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
charleezgal Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 6:51pm
post #3 of 10

It's really important to put your image on the second you take it out of the freezer. I lay mine directly on the cake and start smoothing the entire image onto the cake. I then slowly lift off the wax paper and if looks like it's going to stick to the paper, I lay it back down and press it again.

My cakes have always abeen at room temperature. The only time I've ever had trouble is when the transfer starts to "thaw" or soften.

hth

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 7:07pm
post #4 of 10

I think the folks answering the OP have comingled edible image advice with bc transfer advice.

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 1:09am
post #5 of 10

I like to ahere my edible images to a thin pc. of fondant, then trim around leaving a tiny border. Makes them look very nice. You can let the fondant harden or place on cake wet. To ahere the image, just take a paper towel slightly damp and wipe the fondant pc, then stick the pic. on. Makes it very professional looking...it like it much better than just sticking the pic directly on the cake.

Jen icon_smile.gif

amysue99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amysue99 Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 1:23am
post #6 of 10

I always try to apply the image before the icing crusts too much. And I smooth it from the center going out - that way any air bubbles get pushed out.

PhotoFrost Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PhotoFrost Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 2:53am
post #7 of 10

All of the above answers are right on target! Crusting is definetly a bad thing. It just will not merge with the frosting correctly. Defenitely never freeze or refridgerate the image as the condensation build up after removing it will make a horrible mess. 10-20 minutes should be adequate for it to merge if everything is at room temperature. Defenitely work your image into the frosting and as amysue said, work it from the center out. Great answers here and best of luck to you. icon_smile.gif

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 3:23am
post #8 of 10

i applied the edible image to my round cake in my photos.... it is of the golden anniversay.. i applied it right to the icing when i finished icing the cake. it did great. i was very pleased. then i put a border.. around the image. got lots of good comments on it from c/c.. it laid flat. never puckered or anything. and that was my first try at edible image. hth.. very professional looking....

meredith1851 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meredith1851 Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 5:00am
post #9 of 10

Thanks everyone for your feedback. So i attempted the edible image and it did ok. I found however that it abosrbed into the icing a little, but I could still touch it and felt the paper sheet. Is that how it is supposed to be or is it supposed to totally melt into the icing? I was just worried that when you touch it, it still felt like it was on a sheet of paper slightly....thoughts?

PhotoFrost Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PhotoFrost Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 1:56pm
post #10 of 10

Well Meredith, you should still be able to feel the image, almost like paper, but if it is a good brand of Icing Sheet it will "merge" with the frosting becoming part of the cake. What this means is that the paper look will not exactly disappear just leaving the ink, but when you cut the cake it should cut like normal. The image should not bend, fold into the cut or anything like that. It should just cut like normal still leaving the image intact. Hope this helps. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%