Does Anyone Own...

Business By Jenthecakelady Updated 5 Nov 2009 , 1:17am by DDiva

Jenthecakelady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenthecakelady Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 3:40pm
post #1 of 6

a Univex mixer? I am wondering because I am looking to buy a large mixer and there is one available very near me. It is the SRM30 model-30 qt. with bowl and 3 attachments. I originally was looking for a 20 qt Hobart, but this is at a decent price and I won't have to worry about shipping. I do not know anything about Univex so I don't know about the quality, durability, etc. I am scheduled to go look at it Friday morning. If anyone has any experience with this brand I would love to hear about it (good and bad). Thanks for your help!! --Jen

5 replies
sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 4:46pm
post #2 of 6

i dont have one, but i just want you to consider the weight of the bowl and what it will weigh when full. Even when full with water for washing thats going to be pretty hard to maneuver. you wont need a gyms weight machine thats for sure!

Jenthecakelady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenthecakelady Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 8:16pm
post #3 of 6

That is one of my concerns, but if I really needed any help with it I would have it. I am going to be working in a kitchen devoted to my baking and catering for my dad's restaurant which is right across the street. There are always at least two other people there 6a-10p. I need some major arm toning anyway!! icon_smile.gif

lulus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lulus Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 10:36pm
post #4 of 6

I do own a 20 qt. Univex mixer, and while it performs well enough, I have had to have it serviced three times in it's first year of life alone. I bought it brand new, and thank goodness it was under warranty, but I don't think I would buy one again.

littlecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlecake Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 12:20am
post #5 of 6

i have a 30 quart and i'm a 1 woman show...you learn to adapt yourself.

i can fit 18 mixes in there, so you know it's gonna be heavy....i just move the scale and pans to the mixer and dip the batter out, it's still heavy when it's empty, so i can manage....you'll find a way.

my mixer is not a hobart....it hasn't given me a bit of trouble....they can still be heavy duty and not be a hobart.

good luck...you will love it!

DDiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DDiva Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 1:17am
post #6 of 6

I own a 20 qt Univex and love it. Bought it off eBay for $400. Drove to Atlanta to pick it up. The mixer is 20 years old and runs like a dream. I like Univex better than Hobart. Hobart's are much noisier than Univex too.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%