Bake Today Or Thursday For Saturday?

Decorating By Jeniwin Updated 6 Nov 2009 , 2:27pm by Jeniwin

Jeniwin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeniwin Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 1:19pm
post #1 of 6

I am planning to bake a 12-10-8 wedding cake with a white recipe I have been using, on Thursday. I am planning to fill, ice, fondant on Friday, deliver late morning on Saturday.

I am now thinking I might be able to bake today, and begin filling, etc tomorrow, and fondant tomorrow as well.

I will be using a whipped filling with Bailey's, SMBC, and a white recipe that is very spongy and does tend to dry if not kept air tight. I'd rather not freeze, as the cake is just not the same. The cake must be kept refrigerated due to the filling.

There is black RI detail as well as some black ribbon. Because of the RI possibly bleeding on the fondant, and the cold constricting the fondant (sagging ribbon issue), I will have a full morning finishing the cake.

What would you do? Thanks everyone.

5 replies
bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 9:43pm
post #2 of 6

Hi there, first I never use a filling that should be refrigerate, because I don't like putting my cakes in the fridge.

I bake my cakes two days ahead. So you can bake it tmorrow. Then do the torting and filling in the night and put them in the fridge. Take it out when you are ready to crumbcoat and cover with fondant. Some cover the cakes while they are cold. Once you have done that, you can put the cakes back in the fridge. Take them out on saturday and let it come to room temperature and do the piping and the decorations. But I'm not sure whether you can store it in the fridge again after piping.

Personaly I would make bailey's buttercream instead of SMBC.

Sorry for not being much of a help!

Good Luck! icon_smile.gifthumbs_up.gif

CakeMommyTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommyTX Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 10:50pm
post #3 of 6

Here is my scedule for all Saturday cakes . I also refrigerate all my cakes regardless of filling or whether or not the are fondant, basically the only time they are out of the fridge is when I am working onthem, other then that they are being chilled.

Wed.-Bake, wrap and chill overnight
Thurs.-Torte,fill,crumbcoat,chill
Friday-Frost,Decorate,stack, chill
Sat.-Deliver

I have also refrigerated royal icing on fondant cakes with no problems.
HTH

Jeniwin Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 1:31am
post #4 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeMommyTX

Here is my scedule for all Saturday cakes . I also refrigerate all my cakes regardless of filling or whether or not the are fondant, basically the only time they are out of the fridge is when I am working onthem, other then that they are being chilled.

Wed.-Bake, wrap and chill overnight
Thurs.-Torte,fill,crumbcoat,chill
Friday-Frost,Decorate,stack, chill
Sat.-Deliver

I have also refrigerated royal icing on fondant cakes with no problems.
HTH

That's what I was thinking too. She wanted a non-sugary frostong (meaning no American BC). So I opted for a SMBC, and she wanted something unusual for the filling, and opted for the Bailey's. I usually refrigerate my fondant cakes too, so I don't have issues with that. Really its the black royal icing and the ribbons that I worry about. I have used a royal recipe using only mer. pwdr and PS, and I have never had a bleeding issue. . .but I worry because I will not be able to fix it if it does.

I'll bake in the morning, tort and fill and crumb, ice and fondant all day Friday. I just do the piping and ribbon early Sat.

My first wedding cake. So it feels like I know nothing and have never done a big cake before! hahaha

Thanks for the advice!

Voce Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Voce Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 4:39am
post #5 of 6

Question on the refrigerating of fondant covered cakes. I was always told not to do this as the fondant will "sweat" or bubble and start coming off the cake due to the humidity in the fridge. Was I lead astray?

Jeniwin Posted 6 Nov 2009 , 2:27pm
post #6 of 6

Well, yes and no. Like most things, it depends. I personally have never had any issues with the fondant when placed in the fridge, any season of the year. With that said, I use Wilton and Satin Ice brands. I have never tried with MMF or other home made fondant. There are several established bakers and decorators on cc who do refrigerate, and several who will tell you not to.

My advice- try a few small test cakes with the type of fondant you like, see what happens. It all depends on humidity levels, etc. I have seen many posts on this topic, just do a forum search and you will get pleanty of info and opinion.

good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%