Wilton Course Ii

Decorating By kaddikakes Updated 4 Nov 2009 , 8:11pm by blessedist

kaddikakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaddikakes Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 12:27pm
post #1 of 12

WOW! I just started Wilton Course II last night . . . told my husband I need to quit work to take this course. This one looks really time consuming and hard. Just wondering what others think! Also do you do a lot of decorating with royal or color flow? Just wondering.

11 replies
brgrassmyer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brgrassmyer Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 12:46pm
post #2 of 12

I teach Course 2 and 3. I know that students can feel overwhelmed with the new techniques. As you become a more experienced decorator, you will use RI and the color flow techniques. This is all new to you, but with practice, practice, practice you will become a master at it. Just make sure you ask your instructor for extra help. Also, get the RI recipe correct everytime and your flowers will be beautiful. Bad RI will make the learning process more difficult.
HTH thumbs_up.gif

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 1:54pm
post #3 of 12

I use RI all the time on my cookies. And I make the flowers - but I'm also a Wilton instructor.

snocilla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snocilla Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 2:07pm
post #4 of 12

I don't think course 2 was any more work than course 1. You do have to practice more flowers, but you don't have to make a cake to bring to class every week.

Cookie4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cookie4 Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 2:11pm
post #5 of 12

I also teach Wilton classes and Course 2 is my favorite because the final cake is such a SHOW STOPPER! We spend the first two weeks making all the flowers and a full class of ColorFlow (also known as the Flooding Technique) both can be used to create exquisite cookies - especially for the holidays. Hang in there - you won't want to cut into your final cake.

P.S. Try making the colors of your icing and colorflow in the fall hues so you'll have a beautiful addition to your Thanksgiving table. Also - you might want to make your basketweave in another color, i.e., chocolate (either dark, or light). One of my students made their basketweave in a dark orange and the cake looked like a terracotta pot - it was awsome. We'll look forwar to seeing your pics.

snocilla Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 2:20pm
post #6 of 12
Quote:
Quote:

P.S. Try making the colors of your icing and colorflow in the fall hues so you'll have a beautiful addition to your Thanksgiving table. Also - you might want to make your basketweave in another color, i.e., chocolate (either dark, or light).

I made my cake brown because I didn't like the plain white. Here is my finale cake.
LL

kaddikakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaddikakes Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 5:48pm
post #7 of 12

Thanks for the encouragement. I will do my best and practice, practice, practice. Thanks for the idea of a different color basket. I'll be sure to post my final!

cadgurl07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cadgurl07 Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 6:21pm
post #8 of 12

I also took that course and found it to be one of the easiest. Yes it may seem like a lot of work but like others have said you don't need a cake every week. Just lots of practice with the icing. I also opted not to do the class white basket and did a two toned brown. I loved the way it came. There are so few cake I make and approve of the finish product this one was not one. I made my icing a PB chocolate icing and made it stiff and the edges frayed a bit giving it more texture and to me making it look more like a basket. I attached the pic of my cake.
LL

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 7:39pm
post #9 of 12

As a WMI I think this class may have less behind the scenes work. You do not have to make a cake every week, so that cuts down on your 'homework'. You will still bring in icing, and while I encourage my students to go home and practice and make more flowers, the flowers we do in class are plenty to put on the cake the last week.

Relax, have fun, and enjoy the class.

And remember while you are learning the flowers in royal icing, they can be done in buttercream. icon_smile.gif

blessedist Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blessedist Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 8:03pm
post #10 of 12

ok..so when you sign up for these classes, you pay the $30ish then you have to buy the course kit and make your own cake and buy your own icing to bring to class?

snocilla Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 8:09pm
post #11 of 12
Quote:
Quote:

ok..so when you sign up for these classes, you pay the $30ish then you have to buy the course kit and make your own cake and buy your own icing to bring to class?

Yes, but Micheals tends to have classes at 40 - 50% off every month. I usually paid about $22. My instructor also gave us bounce-back passes for $5 off the next class. I also would buy the kits when I had a 40% or 50% off coupon, so they were only $15 or so each.

blessedist Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blessedist Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 8:11pm
post #12 of 12

thank you!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%