Dumb Question But I Need Your Help

Decorating By SweetPea0613 Updated 4 Nov 2009 , 3:51am by SweetPea0613

SweetPea0613 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetPea0613 Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 1:21am
post #1 of 6

Sorry for being a doh doh dunce.gif

but, I'm doing a wedding cake for a friend in a few weeks and most of it will be dummy cake.

The bottom tier will be cake and the top 4 tiers will be dummies...so here's the question(or questions)...

Do I have to dowel between each tier even if it's styrofoam? I wouldn't want the weight to collapse on top of the real cake. It will all be covered in fondant.

And I'm trying to order dummies but the size I need is out of stock...Can I buy a 7in and cut it down to a 6in???

Sorry, I've never worked with cake dummies before and I'm kinda nervous. TIA. icon_smile.gif

5 replies
JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 1:32am
post #2 of 6

Cutting a dummy down can be a real pill......

You only would need to dowel the large real cake on the bottom, don't worry about the dummies.

Didn't your momma ever tell you there are no dumb questions??? icon_smile.gif

Jen icon_smile.gif

SweetPea0613 Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 1:39am
post #3 of 6

Thanks for your response.

You're the best Jen!

and about my momma....not really sure if she ever told me that... icon_lol.gif

SweetPea0613 Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 2:11am
post #4 of 6

Just thought of another question...When delivering the cake should it be all put together or should I have the real cake and the dummies separate from each other and assemble on site??

What I was thinking was having all the dummies assembled and when I get there just put them on top of the real cake and pipe a quick border....

what's the best thing to do??

auntginn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntginn Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 2:26am
post #5 of 6

I personally like to have the cake entirely assembled before delivery whenever possible. It saves so much time. Its amazing how many people will show up early and hoover over you watching and asking questions. Its just time consuming to me. Also to me its less of a clean up.

SweetPea0613 Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 3:51am
post #6 of 6

Thanks so much for your advice thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%