Cake Texture

Decorating By jhuntl01 Updated 4 Nov 2009 , 5:35am by CakeDiosa

jhuntl01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jhuntl01 Posted 3 Nov 2009 , 11:12pm
post #1 of 4

Ok so I was watching cake boss last night and I think I may have issues with my cakes. I was watching when he made the pool table and he had what appeared to be 1/2 sheet cakes and he was just throwing them around and they were unharmed, I have seen others do this with other sizes of cake as well. My problem is if I even look at my half sheets wrong they break. Seriously though they seem nice and moist and not crumbly, but if I try to lift them without a board support kerplat they break in half. Last night was worse, I had to make a half sheet of yellow and I put it on my cardboard, then I wasn't happy with how I centered it on the board so while flipping it onto a new board (sandwiched between the two) the board gave and half the cake landed on the counter. I was hoping to salvage it, but no matter how I tried to pick it up it broke more and more. I have this problem with many of my cakes...they just feel delicate and flimsy. So, I guess my question is what am I doing wrong?

3 replies
pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 3 Nov 2009 , 11:28pm
post #2 of 4

you are probably doing nothing wrong, it is just the cake. some cakes are dense and firm, good for carving and others are light and airy. Just depends on the recipe and what you need it for. I have different recipes for basic chocolate and vanilla and use the recipe that fits what I am doing with the cake. HTH and makes sense.

poohsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poohsmomma Posted 3 Nov 2009 , 11:53pm
post #3 of 4

I'm wondering if they might be frozen when they handle them....

CakeDiosa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiosa Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 5:35am
post #4 of 4

They use a VERY dense cake for most of the cakes we see aired because most of them are specialty cakes and require a dense cake to carve or hold weight or it's shape. I usually see him using a pound cake but I'm sure he has varied recipes depending on the need. There are some good "dense cake" recipes in the recipe section if you run a search with that term.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%