Quick Pumpkin Question.

Baking By TressieJo Updated 5 Nov 2009 , 4:41pm by ThreePrinces

TressieJo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TressieJo Posted 3 Nov 2009 , 2:39pm
post #1 of 4

Last year around this time I made a few batches of pumpkin bread that were really delicious. This year I would like to do something similar with cupcakes, maybe with a cream cheese icing. Would I be able to use the same recipe for a cupcake or does it need to be modified somehow? I found it on allrecipes by a user named Leigh Paulin. here is the recipe:

Ingredients
3 cups all-purpose flour
3 cups white sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 teaspoon ground allspice
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 cup vegetable oil
2/3 cup water
1 cup canned pumpkin
4 eggs
Directions
1.Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour 3 - 1 pound coffee cans.
2.Sift together the dry ingredients .
3.Combine the vegetable oil, water, canned pumpkin and eggs. Slowly add dry ingredients to egg mixture and mix until blended
4.Evenly distribute the batter between the coffee cans. Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 50-55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean and top of bread is browned. Cool bread in coffee cans on a rack for 15 minutes. Remove bread from cans by running a knife around the inside and turning can upside down to dislodge bread (should slide right out!). Cool completely.

3 replies
ThreePrinces Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ThreePrinces Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 8:52pm
post #2 of 4

I'm not sure that I'd want to use a bread recipe for cake, as it will be more dry than you would expect a cake to be.

I have an awesome tried and true pumpkin cake recipe, everyone always loves it, here it is:

1 cup oil
2 cups sugar
4 eggs, room temperature
2 cups pumpkin
2 cups flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp cinnamon

bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes or until very brown. Makes either a 13x9 cake of 2 9x9 layers.

I have made these into cupcakes many many times, and it's no issue. Just bake for less time.

I just make a basic cream cheese frosting a little stiffer than usual in order to swirl on top of cupcakes.

TressieJo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TressieJo Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 4:06pm
post #3 of 4

Thanks so much for the reply, I am going to give that recipe a try tonight!

ThreePrinces Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ThreePrinces Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 4:41pm
post #4 of 4

You are very welcome. Happy baking! icon_biggrin.gif

(I always get compliments on this recipe, it's always turned out great!)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%