Cake To Serve 220

Decorating By kimmyboo925 Updated 4 Nov 2009 , 5:19pm by tatorchip

kimmyboo925 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimmyboo925 Posted 3 Nov 2009 , 12:01pm
post #1 of 12

I have been looking at the wilton chart and looking.... the bride wants a cake 4 tiers high, with the top as an anniversary cake. But the bottom 3 have to feed 220 people.... any help ????

11 replies
kimmyboo925 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimmyboo925 Posted 3 Nov 2009 , 12:16pm
post #2 of 12

forgot to mention.... round the cake is to be round...

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 9:26am
post #3 of 12
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 10:35am
post #4 of 12

I'd do a 6/10/14/18, just to stay symmetrical but that gives you more servings than you need - which she'd HAVE to pay for.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 1:10pm
post #5 of 12

I dont' really let brides dictate how big their cake will be i.e. number of pillars. they haven't the slightest idea how many servings are in a tier yet THEY want to tell ME how many servings AND how many tiers they get? Bullsh*t.

6/8/10/12/14 = 12/24/38/56/78 servings = 208. Swap put the 14 for a 16 and add 20 servings = 228, counting the top tier. She'd get a minimum 5 tiers unless she switches to squares.

tatorchip Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tatorchip Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 2:44pm
post #6 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

I dont' really let brides dictate how big their cake will be i.e. number of pillars. they haven't the slightest idea how many servings are in a tier yet THEY want to tell ME how many servings AND how many tiers they get? Bullsh*t.

6/8/10/12/14 = 12/24/38/56/78 servings = 208. Swap put the 14 for a 16 and add 20 servings = 228, counting the top tier. She'd get a minimum 5 tiers unless she switches to squares.

I think the bride should have the say on how many ties due to the fact that she is paying for it, if I want a four door car and I am paying don't give me a two door lol

indydebi Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 4:53pm
post #7 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by tatorchip

Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

I think the bride should have the say on how many ties due to the fact that she is paying for it, if I want a four door car and I am paying don't give me a two door lol

Unless you dictate you want a 4 door car that seats 15, at which point you will be told, "I'm sorry, you can't have that in a 4-door car .... let's go look at church buses."

If a bride wants a 2-tier cake to serve 300, then she either gets the biggest sheet cake ever made or she gets to keep looking for a baker. In my world, it's not possible.

You gotta do the math on this stuff. If it doesn't work, then it doesn't work.

I can't tell my contractor to build a 2-story house but make it only 10 feet tall. Do the math ... it doens't work.

tatorchip Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 5:00pm
post #8 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

I'd do a 6/10/14/18, just to stay symmetrical but that gives you more servings than you need - which she'd HAVE to pay for.

she would get a little more and if she didn't want to pay then we would talk about the whole layout so she still gets her say because she has to pay. icon_smile.gif

tatorchip Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 5:09pm
post #9 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmyboo925

I have been looking at the wilton chart and looking.... the bride wants a cake 4 tiers high, with the top as an anniversary cake. But the bottom 3 have to feed 220 people.... any help ????

she wants a 3 tier not counting the top tier icon_smile.gif

indydebi Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 5:11pm
post #10 of 12
Quote:

Quote:

she would get a little more and if she didn't want to pay then we would talk about the whole layout so she still gets her say because she has to pay. icon_smile.gif

Let's make this smaller for easier understanding.

Client wants a 2 tier cake to serve 25. The smallest I do is 6/8 = 12/24 servings = 36 total servings. (I will NOT screw around with a 4" cake).

She pays for 36 servings. If she doesn't want to pay for 36 servings but INSISTS on a 2-tier cake, then I'm sorry, but the answer is "tough sh*t .... this is what it serves. This is what you're paying for."

She either pays for 36 servings or she DOESN"T get a 2-tier cake. I dont' understand the confusion here.

Just do the math. Period.

tatorchip Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 5:12pm
post #11 of 12

she wants a 3 tier

tatorchip Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 5:19pm
post #12 of 12
Quote:

Quote:

hummm, leah_s has always helped me and I was going by her math, maybe I should rethink all of this

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%