It Melted!

Baking By SweetBeeBang Updated 4 Nov 2009 , 7:30am by SweetBeeBang

SweetBeeBang Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetBeeBang Posted 3 Nov 2009 , 10:55am
post #1 of 10

Hi! Weather down under is getting a bit hot. I made cupcakes with cream cheese frosting. I havent even finished icing the second batch and it has already melted. I then opted to make buttercream using 1/2 shortening and 1/2 butter. A few hours later it too melted. Can somebody help me?? What am I doing wrong? Can anyone suggest a good non melt cream cheese frosting?

9 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 3 Nov 2009 , 11:49am
post #2 of 10

I mean how hot is it? Can you chill them & keep them chilled?

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 3 Nov 2009 , 3:51pm
post #3 of 10

Turn on the Air Conditioner. icon_biggrin.gif

Mike

Musings9 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Musings9 Posted 3 Nov 2009 , 4:08pm
post #4 of 10

The heat from your hands could be the culprit if you're using a pastry bag. I agree with Mike, turn on the A/C, hopefully that will help.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 3 Nov 2009 , 4:14pm
post #5 of 10

Indydebi's recipe is good for hot weather, but I don't know if you can get dream whip powder there. It's not a cream cheese recipe either though.

One thing you might be able to do is to store the cupcakes in the fridge.

adamsgama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adamsgama Posted 3 Nov 2009 , 4:39pm
post #6 of 10

Have you tried using Meringue Powder or try adding a little Corn Starch to your icing while beating

Sue

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 3 Nov 2009 , 4:56pm
post #7 of 10

She might not have an AC unit, it's pretty standard in an American house but my friends in Australia on other forums have said that it's less common there. And they're in the hot part of the year now too.

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 3 Nov 2009 , 5:12pm
post #8 of 10

I have to say I don't even consider doing buttercream in summertime weather unless I have an air conditioner. Even working with fondant in warm weather is a challenge! Twice this summer our AC went out when I had a cake due and I actually had to frost in segments...do a bit, put in the fridge, do a bit more, back in the fridge! UGH! Not fun but it worked.

Good luck!

Cat

millermom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
millermom Posted 3 Nov 2009 , 5:19pm
post #9 of 10

I know people disagree with me, but in my experience with a hot/humid climate, meringue powder makes all the difference!

SweetBeeBang Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetBeeBang Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 7:30am
post #10 of 10

Only have a small a/c unit and unfortunately does not help. Its getting hotter as its almost summer. Temperature varies from 22c to 39c degrees so its getting quite hot. I was hoping to make cream cheese frosting for my carrot cupcakes but just keeps melting.

Ive always wondered how some cupcake shops in the US are able to ship their cupcakes.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%