How To Make Hydrangea's Using A 5 Petal Cutter

Decorating By nesha Updated 14 Nov 2009 , 3:32pm by weirkd

nesha Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nesha Posted 3 Nov 2009 , 2:01am
post #1 of 13

Hey CC.......ok I'm thinking about buying a hydrangea flower cutter but before I do I was wondering if there is a way I can make a realistic flower that includes the veing look etc.... Check out my photos; it was the most recent pics (orange cake .....) would greatly appreciate all comments. If I get it, it will be next week because I have a wedding cake to do next month an they want Hydrangeas....thanks again!!!!!!!!!

12 replies
cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 3 Nov 2009 , 2:24am
post #2 of 13

If you get the cutter, will you post a link to where you bought it from please. I have a bride who is doing a cupcake wedding and wants to incorporate hydrangeas. Thanks! icon_smile.gif

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 3 Nov 2009 , 2:24am
post #3 of 13

yes, i have the hydrangea cutter and veiner set. love it.. i am sure globalsugarart sells them.. they are by sunflower sugarart.. hth i use mine for chocolate clay also.. and g/p.. scott woolley sells the molds for the centers. you can make them .. by rolling small amt. of g/p and then make the cross with a knife.. the mold .of course does it for you.. the cutter/veiner set doesn,t have the center mold. nick lodge probably sells it too.

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 3 Nov 2009 , 5:16am
post #4 of 13

Check out the tutorial link on my signature. I believe there is a tutorial over there.

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 3 Nov 2009 , 5:25pm
post #5 of 13

I bought my hydrangea cutter/veiner set from Jennifer Dontz and love it!

http://www.jenniferdontz.com/

Jeff_Arnett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeff_Arnett Posted 3 Nov 2009 , 8:20pm
post #6 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by nesha

Hey CC.......ok I'm thinking about buying a hydrangea flower cutter but before I do I was wondering if there is a way I can make a realistic flower that includes the veing look etc.... Check out my photos; it was the most recent pics (orange cake .....) would greatly appreciate all comments. If I get it, it will be next week because I have a wedding cake to do next month an they want Hydrangeas....thanks again!!!!!!!!!

Go to www.globalsugarart.com and search hydrangea....you will see the cutter and veiner set.

Also www.firstimpressionsmolds.com has a nice center maker.

stephaniescakenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephaniescakenj Posted 3 Nov 2009 , 8:46pm
post #7 of 13

scott clark woolley sells a great cutter and veiner for hydrangea and if you don't want to make the center by hand, you can order that from him also. His prices are very reasonable and his shipping is so fast, its almost unbelievable. I wouldn't doubt if you ordered right now, that you'd have it by thursday.

weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 3 Nov 2009 , 8:55pm
post #8 of 13

Check out Jennifer Dontz cutter/veiner set. THey make excellent flowers and its at a great price! www.jenniferdontz.com

nesha Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 3:24am
post #9 of 13

ok with jenniferdotz does it make the center as well as the other cutters on the other sites do.....does anyone have any pics of the centers that used jenniferdotz because I really like what hers look like......

weirkd Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 2:28pm
post #10 of 13

It does have a center on the mold/impression part of it. If you look on her site at her gallery, you can see some her hydrangeas. I do not have anything close up to see it but Ive used her cutters/veiners as well for most of my flowers (you can see them in my photos on here).

nesha Posted 14 Nov 2009 , 1:04am
post #11 of 13

OK CC.......I bought the one from Jennifer Dontz an I LOVE it!!!!!!!!!!!Still can't believe how tedious the little centers are to make though, WHEW!!!!!!!but Thanks CC...........I APPRECIATE IT!!!!!!!!!!!! any one know how many Hydrangeas I'd need for 175 cupcakes, I'm thinking about putting like 3 or 4 per regular cupcake; what do you all think!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

chelleb1974 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chelleb1974 Posted 14 Nov 2009 , 5:00am
post #12 of 13

I bought my cutter, center mold, and veiners from Nicholas Lodge. I love them. I believe I bought the cutter separate and the mold and veiners were the same item.

weirkd Posted 14 Nov 2009 , 3:32pm
post #13 of 13

It depends on the look you want. A real hydrangea has a bunch in one little ball. When you wire them together, you want to do them in three's and fives, and make some lower than the rest to create the ball. If your putting them on cupcakes without wires, then I would say in odd numbers like three or five will look good. Good luck and dont forget to post a pic!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%