Who Were The First Bakers Out With Topsy Turvy Cakes?

Decorating By sewsugarqueen Updated 3 Nov 2009 , 6:10pm by KKC

sewsugarqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sewsugarqueen Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 9:27pm
post #1 of 7

I was going on a time line of cake decorating styles and really can't find out who ( possibly more than one) started stacking cakes on angles and sculpting cakes. I did cake decorating in the '70' to the mid 80's but stopped for 16 years. Just been back since 2006. Can anyone give me names of bakers and where they are from? I'd like to set the info once I get it so others could use this info. During a move I threw out my old Wilton magazines and sure am regretting it now. thanks for any possible help
--Nancy

6 replies
KKC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KKC Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 9:37pm
post #2 of 7

I read somewhere that it was Colette Peters of Colette's Cakes...I could've read wrong though so don't quote me on it.

grandmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grandmom Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 10:09pm
post #3 of 7

I think it was Collette also.

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 10:24pm
post #4 of 7

Colette stated on her Facebook page a few days ago that she did her first one in 1984.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 3 Nov 2009 , 12:59am
post #5 of 7

I think that Polly Schoonmaker from Portland OR really popularized them. When the magazines started showing them regularly she was always the one whose cakes they used.

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 3 Nov 2009 , 1:36am
post #6 of 7

I think it was Polly, too. She trademarked the name whimsey.

Jen icon_smile.gif

KKC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KKC Posted 3 Nov 2009 , 6:10pm
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakepro

Colette stated on her Facebook page a few days ago that she did her first one in 1984.

Wow I didn't know they went back that far...I need to brush up on my cake history icon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%