Baby Has Flu

Lounge By crazydoglady Updated 3 Nov 2009 , 12:05am by Texas_Rose

crazydoglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crazydoglady Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 2:20pm
post #1 of 20

my four month old granddaughter has a wicked flu and the docs say she can't be given any kind of medication (not even tylenol) for the symptoms because she weighs only 12 lbs.
they say it would compromise her immune system in the future.
has anyone else experienced something similar?

19 replies
Adevag Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Adevag Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 2:37pm
post #2 of 20

That's hard when they are so tiny and fragile. Just let the baby breast feed a little extra because breast milk will help keep her immune system strong.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 2:47pm
post #3 of 20

When my oldest was an infant, she got sick every other week, probably because DH worked at a kids' hospital. The doctor told me to give her tylenol or ibuprofen for fever. Sometimes they would have me alternate...tylenol, then three hours later ibuprofen, then three hours after that tylenol again. A couple of times she was sick enough that they would have me bring her into the office for a breathing treatment.

Some doctors don't believe in giving babies medicine but I think that's an individual thing. My daughter had to have surgery at 3 months and the surgeon told me not to give her any tylenol while she was recovering because babies were too young to feel pain...never mind that the way we found out that she needed surgery was that she was screaming in pain.

Baths are good for babies with a fever, not a cold bath but just giving a a regular bath can help bring down a fever a bit.

Callyssa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Callyssa Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 2:57pm
post #4 of 20

This is something new they're trying. Nurses routinely would give Tylenol before administering vaccines, but the thinking now is the Tylenol may have compromised the effectiveness of the vaccines. I can't imagine not giving something for fever though......but when my own children get a fever I don't immediately give them something to bring it down either. I let it go for 30 min. to an hour since a fever is the body's way of getting rid of infection. With a 12 lb. newborn baby though.....I don't know. I would definitely be getting second and third opinions!

Adevag Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 3:00pm
post #5 of 20

All medicines are somewhat toxic so I would only give babies medication if absolutely necessary. It's a lot for their little organs to take care of. Fevers should be taken seriously but I would not try to reduce a fever unless it is too high. The fever is suppose to be there if there is an infection in the body. Bacterias cannot survive in high temp. so if you reduce a fever it helps infections spread instead. Just keep checking the temp. if it is stable the best way to heal is sleep and nursing.

tatorchip Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tatorchip Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 3:19pm
post #6 of 20

I am praying for her and ya'll I hope everything goes well ((((((((hugs)))))))) for ya'll

crazydoglady Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 4:01pm
post #7 of 20

her fever has broken but now the congestion in her chest and constant coughing is causing her pain. she can't get anything for diarrhea either.
the doc did say that future immunizations and medications wouldn't be as effecitve if she was given anything now.
i don't remember this being the case when my kids were little but then my kids were never this sick at such a young age.

Callyssa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Callyssa Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 4:10pm
post #8 of 20

I just want to add also; please, please tell your daughter to follow her gut instinct. With the H1N1 going around as well as the seasonal flu it's just not worth taking chances. If she feels the baby needs to be seen by a Dr. again,or emergency room she absolutely needs to take her.

Just because this is a virus and antibiotics won't help, doesn't mean it can't turn bacterial, or she won't be struggling to breathe, and at that point she could need medication. If she has to make a nuisance of herself, tell her to go for it; it's always better to be safe than sorry, and she'll never want to be faced with 'what if's' or 'I should have...', etc.

beanbean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beanbean Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 5:07pm
post #9 of 20

I am a physician finishing my ER residency and I will not offer any medical advice, but will tell you to get a second opinion. I don't know the whole story but telling you the baby can't have any medications including tylenol makes no sense to me. Is this doctor a pediatrician?

crazydoglady Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 5:16pm
post #10 of 20

i agree 100% she has been seen a couple of times and is going to be seen again today.
she had the swab test and it was seasonal flu.
the docs say that she'll be admitted to children's hospital if it gets any worse.
my daughter is quick to get medical attention as she lost her third child very suddenly.
her name is river - isn't she pretty!
LL

crazydoglady Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 5:19pm
post #11 of 20

her doctor is a pediatrician and has consulted her colleagues.
i agree that she should be seen by someone else unless there is significant improvement.
i really appreciate the feedback from everyone.
thanks

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 5:34pm
post #12 of 20

Oh she's just precious....the poor little thing I feel so bad for her.

I'm worried about dehydration if she has diarrhea and fever she probably doesn't feel much like drinking.

I think it's a good idea to have her seen again today.

Good luck and I'll keep little River in my thoughts and prayers for a quick recovery.

Adevag Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 5:47pm
post #13 of 20

She is beautiful and so tiny. So sorry to hear about the loss of a child. I was going to say the same about getting fluids. Poor baby. I'm sure her mother knows what the baby needs. Just like everyone else have said, to stay in control of her own situation and not be dependent on the doctor. If she wants a second opinion she should not think twice about it.
Last year all my three children were throwing up and my daughter was only a few months old. I nursed her day and night to keep her hydrated and she was the first to recover of them all.

pajnpis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pajnpis Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 6:04pm
post #14 of 20

my whole family is sick except for me. first my 14 month was puking, got better then my 4 year old had a fever....3 year old was throwing up..and my husband experience headache plus puking...they're all better now except for my 1 month had a stuffy nose. he usually eats 4 oz every 2 hours but now that he's sick, he seem to eat less.

about your granddaughter, i wonder why her pediatrician told you not to give her any tylenol? with my my kids, when they got their first shot, i was told that i could give them tylenol before or after the shot...even when they're sick. I hope she gets better.

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 6:21pm
post #15 of 20

She's so adorable. I hope she feels better soon. I'll include her to my prayers.

JaeRodriguez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaeRodriguez Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 7:01pm
post #16 of 20

She is adorable sucking on that tiny thumb! What a blessing she must be to y'all! I hope she is better soon! So precious!

crazydoglady Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 11:42pm
post #17 of 20

the doctors have reversed themselves on giving the baby medication.
probably because her oxygen level is too low and she has now developed bronchitis and an ear infection.
i'm going to read up on this "no drug" thing because to my way of thinking, this was probably preventable.
jeez. my name is pi$$ed_grandma_lady now.

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 11:46pm
post #18 of 20

I didn't want to voice my opinion on the whole "no medication" to infant thing since my kids are 19 and 21 it's been a while since I've dealt with infants. I know way back then we used to use Infant Tylenol for fever but I thought maybe they've changed their mindset on that.

I don't blame you for being upset, I would be too. Is she in the hospital or at home?

crazydoglady Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 11:59pm
post #19 of 20

she's at home.
yeah, my kids are in their 30's so i figured it was what pediatricians are doing these days.
the poor child can't sleep unless she's completely upright. my daughter doesn't sleep at all and i can't help because i have a nasty cold.
i'm hoping the drugs kick in quickly so they can all get some rest and baby river is back to making that wonderful cooing sound.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 3 Nov 2009 , 12:05am
post #20 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazydoglady

the doctors have reversed themselves on giving the baby medication.
probably because her oxygen level is too low and she has now developed bronchitis and an ear infection.
i'm going to read up on this "no drug" thing because to my way of thinking, this was probably preventable.
jeez. my name is pi$$ed_grandma_lady now.

Tylenol wouldn't have made a difference for that...hopefully now they're giving her antibiotics and tylenol. They can use a mask and a nebulizer to help with the breathing...my daughter had to have that for a really bad cold once.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%