Flowers On Smash Cake??

Decorating By lkoenig07 Updated 8 Nov 2009 , 3:37am by sweetcakes

lkoenig07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lkoenig07 Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 1:45am
post #1 of 7

I'm doing a smash cake for this weekend & I was given free-rein over the design. I showed a bunch to the photographer (because I just couldn't choose!) & she liked some with flowers on them. However... problem is the flowers are made out of fondant & the only way for them to look good is to do them out of fondant - and fondant & 1 year olds just don't mix!! Any suggestions?
LL

6 replies
Brandy982006 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brandy982006 Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 2:01am
post #2 of 7

You could pipe the flowers on with buttercream. You just can't get them to stick up off the cake like in your photo but at least you would have them...HTH icon_smile.gif

MnSnow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MnSnow Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 2:10am
post #3 of 7

This is probably too late, but why couldn't you do them in modeling chocolate?

lkoenig07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lkoenig07 Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 3:07am
post #4 of 7

Thanks for the idea of modeling chocolate!!! Sounds great! Just wondering- it isn't sticky like fondant, is it? Because that's what we're trying to stay away from. Thanks!

CakeDiosa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiosa Posted 6 Nov 2009 , 10:18am
post #5 of 7

Why not do them in fondant? They are soooo cute! Let them sit out to dry or if you have it, add some tylose powder (a generous amount) and they'll stiffen right on up. If you make them tomorrow, even without the tylose, they'll be sufficiently stiffened (dried) by the weekend and likely won't be the mess you are thinking they will be.

just a thought...hth

lecrn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lecrn Posted 8 Nov 2009 , 3:05am
post #6 of 7

I don't know if a 1 year old could eat fondant? I would think it may be a choking hazard. When I make a smash cake, I always encourage the cake be buttercream. I have used fondant decor, but stress that it needs to be removed before the baby eats the cake.
Can you just put 1 large flower on top of the cake, and tell them to take it off when the baby eats the cake?

sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 8 Nov 2009 , 3:37am
post #7 of 7

add extra pwd sugar to your buttercream to stiffen it up and then treat the same as your fondant.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%