Pme Tips

Decorating By ethanriley Updated 7 Nov 2009 , 9:29pm by bobwonderbuns

ethanriley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ethanriley Posted 1 Nov 2009 , 10:55pm
post #1 of 15

I am just wondering if anyone has used PME tips and what they thought of them. I am thinking of purchasing some and wanted to know if they are worth the money?

14 replies
majka_ze Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
majka_ze Posted 1 Nov 2009 , 11:07pm
post #2 of 15

If you are doing or thinking about doing lot of piping, the tips are well worth the money. If you already have the tip (Wilton, for example) and don't use it much - think about it once again. The PME tip is better, but if it is worth the money for you I cannot say.

I have Wilton set and brought SOME PME tips - the 00, 0, 1, writing (calligraphy) tips and some leaf tips I didn't have. IMHO, the biggest difference is in the finest tips. It is nice to have all PME tips, but I wouldn't buy petal tips again, only to have PME ones. Should I need replacement tips, I will buy PME probably, but not until I will really need them. It is difference between "I would like them" and "I have to have them". But again - I wouldn't hesitate to buy the finest ones from PME.

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 1 Nov 2009 , 11:22pm
post #3 of 15

If you are very new to cake decorating I don't recommend them particularly -- they are very expensive and somewhat specialized. If you have some experience and do a lot of detail work, the 1, 1.5, 0, 00 and 000 tips are useful. I love mine. I also have the ruffle set which I just had to have but don't use very often. icon_confused.gif

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 12:47am
post #4 of 15

BWB - I really think we are twins seperated at birth. I coud have written your post. icon_wink.gif

bobwonderbuns Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 12:56am
post #5 of 15

icon_lol.gif Now that's a scary thought -- two of me!! icon_biggrin.gif

PinkLisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkLisa Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 1:04am
post #6 of 15

I just bought three PME tips for the first time -- 0, 1 and 1.5. I liked them but don't do a lot of piping so not sure I noticed a lot of difference. However, the piping on my cookies did come out great so maybe it was the tip. I thought I was just getting better -- ha ha.

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 2:03am
post #7 of 15

the writing tips, yes! worth the difference as the icing does not curk as it comes out

cutelove Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutelove Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 2:59pm
post #8 of 15

where can you buy the pme tips

Mensch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mensch Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 3:02pm
post #9 of 15

I love my PMEs. They are great for fine piping and detail. They are seamless, that's why the icing doesn't 'curk' (haha.... couldn't resist). I mean curl.

ethanriley Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 3:09pm
post #10 of 15

thank you everyone...i was not very happy with the way my piping would turn out with the wilton tips...i would always have problems with it curling ...so I think I will get the PME tips...thanks again...I am glad to hear people like them...You can purchase the tips on line...you can google them

PinkLisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkLisa Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 4:58pm
post #11 of 15

I wondered what curking was -- ha ha. I thought it was some advanced technical term I hadn't come across yeticon_smile.gif I have had problem with curling. Now I'll pay attention to that and to which brand of tip I am using.

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 5:22pm
post #12 of 15

Although I agree that the edges of the holes on PME tips are much cleaner, and uniform in shape, curling can also be caused by applying too much pressure to the piping bag.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 7:19pm
post #13 of 15

opps sorry!o
I meant curl! icon_smile.gif

ethanriley Posted 7 Nov 2009 , 8:39pm
post #14 of 15

Thanks everyone for your input...I have just ordered my tips...I can't wait to get them and try them out.

bobwonderbuns Posted 7 Nov 2009 , 9:29pm
post #15 of 15

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%