What Am I Doing Wrong? Is It My Frosting?

Decorating By keflyn Updated 1 Nov 2009 , 11:34pm by majka_ze

keflyn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
keflyn Posted 1 Nov 2009 , 9:04pm
post #1 of 6

so I'm piping away and things are going fairly smoothly, and then all of a sudden my frosting stops coming out evenly and starts to shoot out at an angle and in little spurts. what is wrong? I'm using the buttercream dream

5 replies
Brandy982006 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brandy982006 Posted 1 Nov 2009 , 9:17pm
post #2 of 6

Sounds like you have a little "chunk" of something clogging a bit of the tip. You need to wash out your tip.

amysue99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amysue99 Posted 1 Nov 2009 , 9:22pm
post #3 of 6

Definitely a little chunk. This happens to me when I'm using a #1 or #0 tip, especially with chocolate frosting (sometimes I'm too lazy to sift my cocoa powder)

keflyn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
keflyn Posted 1 Nov 2009 , 9:30pm
post #4 of 6

oh, thanks icon_biggrin.gif

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 1 Nov 2009 , 11:13pm
post #5 of 6

Do not be afraid to mix your icing for as much as 10 minutes on low speed to eliminate those lumps.
OR: strain thru a knee high stocking icon_smile.gif
Put the stocking on y9ur hand like a glove; fill palm w/icing; peel the stocking off so it turns inside out enclosing the icing in; push it all the way down and thru.
You will never have another clog again if you strain icon_smile.gif

majka_ze Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
majka_ze Posted 1 Nov 2009 , 11:34pm
post #6 of 6

What kakeladi said about straining...

An alternative (I sometimes have to use for RI, because the sugar I use can sometimes clog the fine tip, even when sieved several times and mixed well) is to use a coupler and put the piece of stocking between the tip and the coupler - the icing will get strained and is usually not as messy to use as straining it the described way. But you have to use coupler.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%