Calling All Fondant Experts! Lol

Decorating By curi0us0ne Updated 1 Nov 2009 , 7:13pm by Loucinda

curi0us0ne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
curi0us0ne Posted 1 Nov 2009 , 6:55pm
post #1 of 4

Okay. So, I made marshmallow fondant for the first time about a month ago, and it turned out perfect. No problems. Then I made it again for a small wedding cake I did for a family member last week, and it was awful! It was completely dried out, and I tried and tried to add crisco and it was no use. I didn't have time or the materials to remake it, so I had to use it anyway. I wasn't happy at all.
I'm thinking I did a number of things wrong, but I'd like to pinpoint the main problem so it doesn't happen again.
For one, I used generic marshmallows. I don't know if that matters but either way, I liked the Jet Puff marshmallow fondant much better, so I wont be doing that again.
Secondly, I (gasp) forgot to grease up my hands and I plunged them right into the melted marshmallows, which obviously stuck to me EVERYWHERE. I had to wash it off, losing a good bit of it down the drain. At the time I didn't think it'd make a difference. Could that be why it was dry, and cracking?
Lastly, after it became "fondant", I split it in half and dyed it immediatley. Should I have let it sit in the 'fridge overnight first?

I did wrap it up prettly tightly, twice. So I don't think my storage technique could've dried it out.

Also, if this should EVER happen again, is there anyway to salvage dried out fondant?
Thanks so much!

3 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 1 Nov 2009 , 7:08pm
post #2 of 4

Are you sure you didn't add less water than you did the first time? Using generic marshmallows shouldn't make that big of a deal.

It's easier to dye fondant right after it's made, when it's still a little soft, then after it's been sitting overnight.

I think probably the problem was the amount of marshmallow that stuck to your hands and had to be discarded.

I haven't found a good way to revive dry fondant. If it's too hard you can stick it in the microwave for 10 seconds at a time until it's soft enough to work with (don't touch it if it melts, it will burn you badly). If it's crumbly you can add a little glycerine, but if it's dry enough that it has hard spots, then there's really nothing I've found that fixes it.

dsilvest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dsilvest Posted 1 Nov 2009 , 7:08pm
post #3 of 4

Might have been too much PS. I always leave 1 - 2 cups out and let it rest till the next day. If I need more ps I add it then.

When I make the fondant I add the shortening to the marshmallow mix while I am melting it. I rarely have to cover my hands with any shortening when I am kneading it. I usually just fold the sugar into the fondant until it is no longer sticky rather than knead it in.

If you use too much colour it can affect the consistancy of the fondant and dry it out.

When I first started making fondant it would be dry sometimes, so I made another batch, this time I left it sticky. I kneaded the two batches together and They were usually perfect.

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 1 Nov 2009 , 7:13pm
post #4 of 4

I use generic marshmallows all the time and don't have any trouble. I would venture to say you used too much p/s in it. I do as the above poster, I don't use all the p/s called for until I know for sure it needs it. Too many times, it doesn't require the full amount.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%