Food Safe Lacquer/sealant

Lounge By Auryn Updated 2 Nov 2009 , 1:47am by Auryn

Auryn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Auryn Posted 1 Nov 2009 , 6:30pm
post #1 of 3

I am hoping someone here might know of the product I am looking for.

I am looking for a permanent (not edible) lacquer or sealent that is foodsafe that I can use on products meant to hold liquids.

I make custom leather mugs and I need something to seal the inside. Traditionally you are supposed to use beeswax, but with beeswax you cannot use it with hot drinks and if you are in a hot climate like florida it gets soft.

I keep seeing references online to a food safe lacquer but cant seem to find the actual product.

any help is appreciated.
thanks

2 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 1 Nov 2009 , 6:59pm
post #2 of 3

Confectioner's glaze is an edible lacquer. That's probably what you've been reading about here. It might work for your purposes because it's not water soluble at all and it doesn't soften in hot water (you have to buy thinner to get it off your paintbrush). It dries to a smooth, not sticky, finish. Since it is meant to be consumed if small amounts were consumed it wouldn't harm anyone.

It's not the same thing that there's a recipe for in the recipe section here, it has to be purchased. Also it's not a thick coating, you would probably have to use many coats to do that and with the smell you'd probably have to be working outdoors.

The leather mugs I have seen at Faire had a plastic insert. My sister says she bought one before that had pine pitch inside but it didn't do well in the heat.

Auryn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Auryn Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 1:47am
post #3 of 3

Thank you Texas Rose, I found a couple of places online that have it and its not too bad- around $10 for an 8oz bottle, worth a try for a test.
I have been looking for plain plastic inserts but havent found, thatd be a whole lot easier.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%