Silver Nonpariels?

Decorating By SecretAgentCakeBaker Updated 1 Nov 2009 , 4:53pm by luvmysmoother

SecretAgentCakeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SecretAgentCakeBaker Posted 31 Oct 2009 , 8:41pm
post #1 of 6

I have white nonpariels but I need them to be silvery. The store I purchase from does not carry silver, if those even exist. Can I make the white ones silvery with the silvery powder? If so, do I just roll them in the dry powder or do I have to add a drop of alcohol to the powder first?

Thanks so much for your help!

5 replies
prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 1 Nov 2009 , 3:10am
post #2 of 6

I don't think that will work. You can purchase silver ones online at www.fancyflours.com

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 1 Nov 2009 , 3:34am
post #3 of 6

I was in a bind one time and I took the jumbo colored non pariels and rolled them around in silver highlighter dust/alcohol and it worked enough...wasn't quite as shiny as real ones but it wasn't too noticeable. I did use the highlighter dust though, which is technically "not edible" but then neither are silver dragees!

luv2cook721 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv2cook721 Posted 1 Nov 2009 , 4:19am
post #4 of 6

GSA has the silver dragees (not sure if I spelled that correctly) if you have time to order them. Most stores don't carry them because they are not approved as a food product anymore, so technically you have to remove them before serving. We always ate them when we were kids, and we called them ball bearings. Ah, the nostalgia!!!

SecretAgentCakeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SecretAgentCakeBaker Posted 1 Nov 2009 , 7:04am
post #5 of 6

Thanks! I just ordered some 2mm silver dragees from Jennifer Dontz, I'm hoping those will be small enough for what I need, if not I will try to color the nonpariels. I'm making a wedding dress out of fondant to go to top of a cake, but don't want the silver to be overpowering (attempting to fashion this after friend's wedding gown.)

luvmysmoother Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvmysmoother Posted 1 Nov 2009 , 4:53pm
post #6 of 6

I bought 20 pkgs of silver non-pareils thinking they would soon be discontinued but then my local Safeway brought out a new batch just a couple weeks agoicon_smile.gif I might go there and raid their inventory again - can never have enoughicon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%