How To Do An Upright Skateboard Cake?

Decorating By cakesrock Updated 31 Oct 2009 , 3:32pm by Mike_Elder

cakesrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 31 Oct 2009 , 2:09pm
post #1 of 3

I've been asked to make a skateboard cake and would like to make a 3D upright (I've seen a lot upside down with wheels on top).

How can I ensure the wheels support the cake? Is BC better than MMF for the board in this case? My cakes are usually so heavy and the MMF weighs down the cake even more....
I'm assuming my cardboard cakeboard would be my support base, but is this enough? Do I use dowels and how?
Also, gumpaste or MMF covering something else for wheel structures?

Any idea/suggestions would be appreciated....

Thanks!

2 replies
cabecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cabecakes Posted 31 Oct 2009 , 2:53pm
post #2 of 3

Wow, not sure. By upright, I assume you mean on all four wheels. If you or your DH are handy with power tools, you could make you a wooden cake plate shaped as a skateboard and put dowel legs under the cake plate. Then hide the dowels with the wheels. Maybe someone will have a better idea?

Mike_Elder Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike_Elder Posted 31 Oct 2009 , 3:32pm
post #3 of 3

don't know whats up with forums but I tried to reply and never saw it post?? Anyway
I do skateboards like that alot, It's all in the board. I cut a thin yet strong plywood base in the exact shape of the skateboard deck. NO DOWELS!! They wont be steady! I use a block of wood cut from about 1/2 inch stock and cut it to the size and shape i want then I screw the deck plywood to that, and build my cake ontop... This gives you a worry free stand. The base is covered by the wheels and trucks. This is the same way I do anything from tall trucks to animals with long legs!!! hope that helps
Mike

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%