Grocery Store Wants To Rent Me Their Bakery...not Cafe Lady!

Business By CakeDiva73 Updated 20 Nov 2009 , 2:37am by rosiecast

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 1 Nov 2009 , 8:49pm
post #31 of 88

I have a huge 'to-do' list. lol. Going to call corporate if they don't call me first (on Monday). I want to make sure about the $500, confirm that I don't have to pay utilities on top of that as well as finding out what he has in mind and how much of the bakery display, etc I can use.

Talked for a long time to my husband about this and what it would mean for our family, etc. I am ready (or at least I WILL be ready!) and with all the kids in school, I could be working from 8-2 (or earlier) while they are at school. It is do-able.

The main thing is to find out if it's 'pay $500 and work as much as you want, make as much as you want to sell, the more you want to work, etc'.

The main problem with cafe lady was everything I sold (if I sold anything) she felt was taking away from her business - even though she was getting free work off me, etc. So I don't think they think the same because they have a nice deli, butcher, etc. The only baked goods we spotted were generic and cheap, almost like an afterthought. Which supports what he said which was that they just shipped stuff in so customers had something to choose from.

Like a complete dumb bunny, I actually scheduled the meeting with cafe lady for Monday. I only did it to buy myself some time and not burn the bridge, even though I knew it was a hot mess. I don't stress at the thought of talking to bakery corporate guy - but I nearly break out into hives at the thought of having to deal with cafe lady again.

I am going to cancel and burn that bridge for good since I have finally decied that even if she is the only game in town, which she is not, I don't want to play with her anymore.

CakeDiva73 Posted 1 Nov 2009 , 9:46pm
post #32 of 88

Ok, just composed the email to tell her I am cancelling the meeting for tomorrow and won't be re-scheduling.......tried to find a nice medium between professional and polite.

Yikes, the hub and my Mother are both fit to be tied, lol, and are dying to know what she will say after receiving it. I, on the other hand, just want it to be o-v-e-r!

cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 2:43am
post #33 of 88

Ok I'm dying to know - what did you say in the email?

favrtdtr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
favrtdtr Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 3:08am
post #34 of 88

Me too!! LOL

CakeDiva73 Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 3:13am
post #35 of 88

Ok, I just wasn't sure if I should post it here icon_smile.gif but I removed the identifying info, etc just to be respectful. Here is what I wrote:

I need to cancel our meeting for Monday evening as I have decided to go in another direction with my business. I will contact the business license department through the City of Modesto and make it clear I am no longer affiliated with the Cafe. Once my new location, contracts and licensing are completed I will update that through the Health Department as well, so there is no need to worry about me being in any kind of violation. I do appreciate your time and wish you the very best with your business and family.

Take care,

Christine K.

P.S. I think it would be prudent, if you haven't done so already, to change the password that was created on your email account. I'm sure you can understand that I do not want to be put in a position where I am suspect if you have trouble accessing it in the future. Thanks.

favrtdtr Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 3:16am
post #36 of 88

I think that sounds great - very professional and final. Good luck.

rosiecast Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rosiecast Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 4:53am
post #37 of 88

Christine, That email's great. and the P.S. is like a slap without hands (as we say in spanish. LOL) Freaking psycho.

Now, I can't wait to hear what she tells you. LOL

CakeDiva73 Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 5:05am
post #38 of 88

A slap without the hands, lol, that's funny icon_smile.gif

I honestly hope I hear NOTHING. No phone calls, no random, hinky emails - just silence.......but sadly, I am pretty sure I am dreaming if I think that is going to happen. I think she will send another 'contact' thru my website and either confront me or ask some funky question (I am beginning to think she realizes I am too polite to tell her to get hosed) as a way to continue contact or to ask about details; where I'm going, what I have in mind, etc.

The mistake I made was that some of the stuff that came out of her mouth was so off-the-wall batsh*t crazy that I was literally stunned silent (no small feat, btw) and she interpreted this as me not 'understanding' how business worked, so knowing her, she will think I have mistunderstood something...... um, no.

cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 12:13pm
post #39 of 88

When she contacts you again, just ignore it. Maybe she will get the hint (yea, right icon_rolleyes.gif )

Also, I would make sure you contact the Health Dept first thing this morning before she does. You never know what she will tell them...

cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 1:31pm
post #40 of 88

And definitely DON'T give her even an inkling of information of your future plans and where you are setting up shop. She will more than likely try to sabotage that for you.

rosiecast Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rosiecast Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 4:24pm
post #41 of 88

Yep, I second cakesdivine a wacko like that you just never know. and yes,call the health dept.

cakesweetiecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesweetiecake Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 4:44pm
post #42 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakesdivine

And definitely DON'T give her even an inkling of information of your future plans and where you are setting up shop. She will more than likely try to sabotage that for you.

I completely agree. Even without possible sabotage, she really doesnt need to know what you are doing as it relates to your future plans.

CakeDiva73 Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 8:31pm
post #43 of 88

Waiting on pins and needles for corporate guy to call me back! (I missed his call earlier........crap).

As for cafe lady finding out where I am at, the last couple times she tried to contact me was thru my website so I have a sneaking suspicion she will check back periodically. So if this works out, I would want to advertise my new location and I'm sure she will send a spy.... lol, don't laugh! I heard her talking about how they did that after she was fired/left one of the local bakeries and she wanted to see if they were still selling her recipes (something like that.)

Like I said, I want no part of it and haven't gotten a call yet (yeah!) so maybe that is over and I don't have to waste time stressing over that hot mess anymore......

tinygoose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tinygoose Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 9:00pm
post #44 of 88

Congrats, that is so exciting. I would also jump at that offer. Hope it all works out for you. I mean that's $16.67 a day to rent a fully stocked kitchen and have store space to sell baked goods...wow!

HarleyDee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HarleyDee Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 9:03pm
post #45 of 88

Good email. Maybe she will just leave you the heck alone. I hope the grocery store really works out for you. I'm wishing you the best! icon_smile.gif

Make sure you let us know if she emails back. icon_biggrin.gif

lomikesa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lomikesa Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 9:15pm
post #46 of 88

Congratulations! I am so happy for you, I wish something like that would happen to me too.

God works in misterios way.

I wish the best.

Lomikesa

CakeDiva73 Posted 3 Nov 2009 , 1:00am
post #47 of 88

Oh, sweet mother of God, I am going to throw up.......I am meeting with the bakery regional manager on Wednesday to go over all the equipment and make sure it is operational, etc and they said I could open a full blown bakery with employees if that is what I want. If I just want to bake some stuff to sell in addition to the custom cakes, that was fine too. The space is all mine....

The only stip was that I bake some french bread for the store so they don't have to have it shipped in each day. (They said the frozen bread is hecka cheap and the sales would also be mine so it was a good, simple money maker). They have the huge rack that holds multiple loaves as well as the huge walk in oven......

Did I mention I was going to barf? Oh my God........ I have to get my kids but wanted to give the update. icon_smile.gif

HarleyDee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HarleyDee Posted 3 Nov 2009 , 1:13am
post #48 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeDiva73

Oh, sweet mother of God, I am going to throw up.......I am meeting with the bakery regional manager on Wednesday to go over all the equipment and make sure it is operational, etc and they said I could open a full blown bakery with employees if that is what I want. If I just want to bake some stuff to sell in addition to the custom cakes, that was fine too. The space is all mine....

The only stip was that I bake some french bread for the store so they don't have to have it shipped in each day. (They said the frozen bread is hecka cheap and the sales would also be mine so it was a good, simple money maker). They have the huge rack that holds multiple loaves as well as the huge walk in oven......

Did I mention I was going to barf? Oh my God........ I have to get my kids but wanted to give the update. icon_smile.gif

Umm, wow! That sounds awesome! icon_biggrin.gif

saffronica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saffronica Posted 3 Nov 2009 , 1:15am
post #49 of 88

Take a deep breath...you can do this! I know the thought of a full-blown bakery with employees and everything is probably totally overwhelming. But you don't have to start that way! Start with a small selection and your custom cakes, see how things go, and build from there. This is so much better than that cafe!

favrtdtr Posted 3 Nov 2009 , 1:37am
post #50 of 88

YAY...congrats and go for it girl!!!

CakeDiva73 Posted 3 Nov 2009 , 1:49am
post #51 of 88

Thank you so much icon_smile.gif I am trying to breathe, really, I am! We are going to sit down and try to get organized and focus on a gameplan since this is an opportunity a bit different then what I expected. I think I want to keep it simple but not boring, at least in the beginning and then see what the customers want.

MyDiwa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MyDiwa Posted 3 Nov 2009 , 1:55am
post #52 of 88

I just wanted to say Congrats. All that stuff with crazy cafe lady - I can see you second guessing this. But it really seems like your valley's peaking. I have no business experience so no advise to give. I just wanted to give you a cyber hug and offer you crossed fingers instead.

chefjulie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chefjulie Posted 3 Nov 2009 , 2:16am
post #53 of 88

VERY VERY AWESOME! I am GREEN with envy!! Definitely sounds like you've earned this amazing opportunity!!!

Jeep_girl816 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeep_girl816 Posted 3 Nov 2009 , 2:53am
post #54 of 88

So happy for you!!! It gives all of us "Someday..." bakers hope!

conb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
conb Posted 3 Nov 2009 , 3:10am
post #55 of 88

This sounds like a great deal. When one door closes another one opens. Congratulations! icon_smile.gif

cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutthecake Posted 3 Nov 2009 , 3:24am
post #56 of 88

What are the chances the cafe lady shops in that particular grocery store?

melodyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melodyscakes Posted 3 Nov 2009 , 7:37pm
post #57 of 88

what an awesome wonderful opportunity!

keep us posted!

melody

adonisthegreek1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adonisthegreek1 Posted 3 Nov 2009 , 8:02pm
post #58 of 88

I kept waiting to see what corporate said. I am so thrilled for you.
Good Luck!

Peridot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peridot Posted 3 Nov 2009 , 8:11pm
post #59 of 88

We will be waiting for the update after you meet with the rgional manager on Wednesday. Like we all said - just make sure you have things in writing to protect yourself!! Good Luck!!!! This is so cool - can't wait to hear from you again.....

YouCaterer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
YouCaterer Posted 3 Nov 2009 , 9:09pm
post #60 of 88

I am chartreuse with envy! icon_lol.gif
Congratulations ~ keep us posted!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%