Total Newbie With A Question About Mmf Recipe.

Decorating By JustToEatCake Updated 1 Nov 2009 , 1:55am by Tiffany29

JustToEatCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JustToEatCake Posted 31 Oct 2009 , 4:27am
post #1 of 7

This is only like my second post but I have been reading and reading for days on end. Happily I might add, but sleep would be a good thing.

My dad's 80th birthday is coming up and I am going to make him a cupcake tree with a small cake on top. Simple, right? Well I wanted to try the MMF recipe but it seems that every one I find says 2lb bag of powdered sugar and 16oz bag of MM, BUT I can only find marshmallows come in 10.5 oz bags.

I did whip up a batch and it's resting in it's greased bag but I didn't use all the PS I just kneaded it in until it felt like, well playdough..lol...so where do I find 16oz bags? Not walmart or foodlion (2 of our locals)...any suggestions?

I guess I could get 2 bags and weigh it out. Perhaps my question REALLY is, is this a typo or are you guys really finding 16oz bags? BTW I can find larger bags of the big marshmallows but over a lb pound bags.

6 replies
JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 31 Oct 2009 , 4:30am
post #2 of 7

Kraft Jet Puffed marshmallows come in 16 oz. bags:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001684N0I/?tag=cakecentral-20

HTH icon_smile.gif

JustToEatCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JustToEatCake Posted 31 Oct 2009 , 1:11pm
post #3 of 7

Yes it does so I can find those elusive 1 pounder bags or I can buy two bags and get out my trusty scale and weigh away! Thank you!

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 31 Oct 2009 , 4:10pm
post #4 of 7

Just use one and a half of the 10.5 oz bags. Up until a couple of months ago, the 1 lb bags were really easy to find.

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 31 Oct 2009 , 4:34pm
post #5 of 7

Yup, most of the time I can only find the 10.5 oz bags so I use one and a half... not terribly accurate but it seems to work. AND, most of the time I don't use all of the powdered sugar. I end up with about a half cup that I use on my rolling board. Sometimes it all gets kneaded in but sometimes it doesn't. Just get it to the consistancy of pizza/play dough and you'll be good.

AverageMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AverageMom Posted 31 Oct 2009 , 5:01pm
post #6 of 7

Truthfully, I don't measure for MMF anymore. I dump a bag of marshmallows in my greased dish. If it's not looking full enough, I put more. I pour about 1/4 or less water over it, and nuke it. I add PS until it looks like playdough, like you said. It usually takes less than a full bag.
If it feels right, it is right!

Tiffany29 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tiffany29 Posted 1 Nov 2009 , 1:55am
post #7 of 7

Not sure where your located but, if you have a kroger's near by I noticed they carry the minis in 16 oz.

Alot of times I just use the big marshmallows in the 16oz bag with no problems.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%