Pet Treats From Home Bakery

Business By CookieMeister Updated 30 Oct 2009 , 7:12pm by MichelleM77

CookieMeister Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookieMeister Posted 30 Oct 2009 , 5:05pm
post #1 of 8

I'm just getting started with my home-based bakery concentrating primarily on cookies (part-time basis right now while I maintain my day job). Before anyone mentions it - yes, I'm legal in my state. icon_biggrin.gif

I've been making pet treats and cakes for my own dogs for quite some time, and have a friend who owns a dog grooming shop. I've now started to sell in her shop as well, so I thought I'd add that to my repertoire and it's in my marketing.

No problems until I had a potential customer frown upon me making dog treats in the same kitchen I make human food. My dog treats are all natural, with ingredients for human consumption (fruit, cheese, baby food etc.) I don't use any low grade meats or anything like that, and I never bake the dog treats/cakes in the same session as I make human cookies/cakes.

I explained this to her, and she was still very upset. Thought it was unsanitary (like I had dogs running around my kitchen? Which I do not).

I make quite a bit of money with the "pet bakery" portion of my business. Should I be worried about people like her or do you think they are the exception, not the rule? I'm just trying to figure out if I want to carve that back out of my business.

7 replies
keriskreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
keriskreations Posted 30 Oct 2009 , 5:16pm
post #2 of 8

I'm going to go out on a limb and say she's not an animal lover? Anyone that has made dog treats, or even read the recipe knows they are safe for humans to eat. Some of the stuff I've made for my dogs smelled so darn good!! Sometimes better than stuff I make for myself to eat! LOL

If this is become a good part of your business, I'd say keep it!! People are crazy about their pets, and if you're making money off it, go for it! I think this will be a rareity in the whole scheme of things. Maybe she just did think you let your animals run around while you are making stuff. Who knows? Everyone's got their own opinions - don't let this one person that's unwilling to think outside the box ruin a good thing for you!

Love your avatar picture by the way - what a sweetie!!

tatorchip Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tatorchip Posted 30 Oct 2009 , 5:31pm
post #3 of 8

I agree with keriskreations, Make your money. I have seen lots of places that sell both in the same place and that never entered my mine. She isn't in your kitchen, she could assum a lot of things, that is how some people are.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 30 Oct 2009 , 5:44pm
post #4 of 8

It the same thing a people who won't fill their drinking water cup from the bathroom sink. The water has to come from the kitchen sink.

Its the same pipes. It's the same water.

cookiemama2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookiemama2 Posted 30 Oct 2009 , 5:47pm
post #5 of 8

Your legal and if your state doesn't care , too bad.
The pet store by me sells the best looking cookies!
I'd like to try to make some and I have a recipe for the cookie part, but I'm not sure what I could use for the "icing". Would you share your recipe with me?

CookieMeister Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookieMeister Posted 30 Oct 2009 , 5:56pm
post #6 of 8

I use two different things for icing - i used melted carob for dipping dog biscuits, lettering, etc.

For cakes, I use 1 pkg Neufchatel (SP?) cheese, 2 tablespoons plain yogurt, 2 tablespoons honey and 2-3 tablespoons flour (for thickness).

cookiemama2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookiemama2 Posted 30 Oct 2009 , 5:58pm
post #7 of 8

Thanks for sharing!
Lisa

MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 30 Oct 2009 , 7:12pm
post #8 of 8

Don't let one bad apple spoil the bunch. icon_smile.gif

I would love to do dog treats as well, except I would have to pay a semi-yearly fee to the department of agriculture (you pay by the pound of food/treats; minimum $60 per half year). It's easier to bake for humans than dogs in my state! LOL!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%