Extra Egg? Help Quick?!

Baking By MJoycake Updated 30 Oct 2009 , 6:05pm by Lauren251

MJoycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MJoycake Posted 30 Oct 2009 , 1:25pm
post #1 of 8

I'm about to make a cake - Hershey's Perfectly Chocolate Cake, off of the back of the cocoa can...I've done this recipe many many times - everyone LOVES it. It's so moist and tastes great, but is a bit soft for the cake I need to make today. Has anyone tried adding an extra egg to this recipe for more stability? Even if you haven't tried it with THIS recipe, have you tried it with other recipes and had it work? I'm not used to "doctoring" recipes and could use the advice. Thanks

7 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 30 Oct 2009 , 1:32pm
post #2 of 8

I've never heard of an extra egg for a denser cake.
Maybe someone else has.

Me, I'd get a different recipe if I need a different texture.

I mean you gotta test this stuff out, yes?

Who knows what'll happen. If I did it I would screw up the cake probably.

MJoycake Posted 30 Oct 2009 , 2:36pm
post #3 of 8

I'm risking this batch....I tried adding an extra egg and reducing the boiling water from 1 cup to 3/4 cup....so far they're baking up nicely...I'll post the results

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 30 Oct 2009 , 2:46pm
post #4 of 8

I like the way you're thinking though to replace liquids -- good call -- can't wait.

sweetflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetflowers Posted 30 Oct 2009 , 2:56pm
post #5 of 8

I do this all the time, I add an extra egg and 1/8 C flour to get a denser more finely textured cake.

mightydragon663 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mightydragon663 Posted 30 Oct 2009 , 3:22pm
post #6 of 8

I alawys add an extra egg to help with stability (from the egg white) and improve moisture (from the yolk) That said, I bake at 9,000ft, so I have to do a lot of things with cake batter to get the cake to rise properly. Usually, you just never know until you try it. Fortunately, cake tastes good even if it doesn't turn out as planned! icon_lol.gif
Looking forward to hear about the results.

MJoycake Posted 30 Oct 2009 , 3:35pm
post #7 of 8

looks like it worked out just great....it rose a bit more than it usually does, which is nice... is still moist (made a 4" with the extra batter and torted after cooling) - tasted it - still great flavor....seems more dense - better structure. I'll be making this recipe with these changes from now on!

Lauren251 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lauren251 Posted 30 Oct 2009 , 6:05pm
post #8 of 8

I make this recipe all the time, but I use the dark hershey chocolate!! I have always wondered how to make it more dense especially since I have to make an R2D2 cake in 2 weeks that I was worried about. I think ill try adding an extra egg and reducing liquid! Thank you so much for the tips icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%