Marshmallow Baked Inside?

Baking By prterrell Updated 3 Jan 2015 , 3:13am by Lilyvine2

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 29 Oct 2009 , 9:14pm
post #1 of 13

I just had a spark of an idea and I was wondering if anyone has tried this? I was thinking of baking chocolate cupcakes and putting a jumbo marshmallow in each one before popping in the oven. If you've tried this, did it work? Did you put the batter in the liners as normal and then push the marshmallow in or did you put in a little batter, put the marshmallow on and then fill in the rest of the batter?

12 replies
KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 29 Oct 2009 , 9:25pm
post #2 of 13

no, but I've done it with sleeve fillings and also with peanut butter cups, and chunks of snickers......all of which are delicious!

cakefairy03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakefairy03 Posted 29 Oct 2009 , 9:27pm
post #3 of 13

I haven't tried this, but I don't see a reason why you couldn't do it. Just share some with us please!!!

If I attempted this, I'd put in a little batter, then the marshmallow, then more batter. Or I might try with mini marshmallows first just so the batter doesn't overflow. GL!

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 29 Oct 2009 , 9:51pm
post #4 of 13

I have a recipe for Smores cupcakes where they put a marshmallow in, top with a square of chocolate, bake, then put another marshmallow on top and put the cupcakes under the broiler to toast the top marshmallow. I haven't tried it though, broilers are not my friend.

I don't know how much the marshmallows would melt, but if you used the jumbo ones and they stayed kind of solid, you would want to warn people to be careful feeding them to their little kids...a jumbo marshmallow is a choking hazard.

PuffCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PuffCake Posted 29 Oct 2009 , 9:55pm
post #5 of 13

I inject marshmallow fluff or marshmallow creme into cupcakes. for a filling. That's what I did for the S'mores cupcakes in my photos. It's very thick, but still works well using a 1M tip injected into the center. I would think using an actual marshmallow, even the mini ones would cause the batter to overflow or bake over the top too much.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 30 Oct 2009 , 1:47pm
post #6 of 13

oh yeah, you would have to account for the marshmallow expanding.........have you ever stuck a marshmallow in the microwave?? Those puppies get HUGE!!! Sounds so interesting though! Maybe underfill your cupcake pan and use like 3 mini marshmallows instead of a whole big one? We need to do some experiments

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 30 Oct 2009 , 2:00pm
post #7 of 13

I've always thought that the marshmellow would melt & leave a hole but I don't think I've ever tried it. I do think a microwave and an oven would do it different though--get a different result.

Let us know!

cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 30 Oct 2009 , 2:07pm
post #8 of 13

Sounds incredibly yummy but I would use marshmallow cream instead of a marshmallow because once cooled it would go back to the firm consitancy of a marshmallow instead of being ooey & gooey...but if you are wanting it to firm back up then by all means use a marshmallow!

Lilyvine2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lilyvine2 Posted 31 Dec 2014 , 1:12am
post #9 of 13

A[SIZE=3][/SIZE]

Lilyvine2 Posted 31 Dec 2014 , 2:01am
post #10 of 13

ATried regular Choc cake mix from the box , put 1/3 full batter then a teaspoon marshmallow cream from a jar then topped with remaining choc batter. The marshmallow overflowed after baking, looked like top is.half choc and other half is dotted white cream. Then I tried the s'mores choc cake mix with its own marshmallow filling, it baked wonderfully, the filling stayed inside the cupcake but the three cupcakes which I added a tespoon of marshmallow cream from a jar overflowed like the first experiment. Does anyone knows why it's not perfect if it's not the s'mores cake mix?

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 31 Dec 2014 , 3:13am
post #11 of 13

really couldn't say......but if I wanted a marshmallow taste with chocolate cuppies I'd make 'faux Italian meringue buttercream' icing and fill it & pipe it.  It's essentially American Buttercream with a big tub of marshmallow cream beat into it.  You can add drops of Loran marshmallow flavoring.

Lilyvine2 Posted 3 Jan 2015 , 2:40am
post #12 of 13

A[SIZE=1][SIZE=3][/SIZE][/SIZE]

Lilyvine2 Posted 3 Jan 2015 , 3:13am
post #13 of 13

AThe picture is from regular cake mix with marshmallow creme filling but it overflowed after baking. After a day the filling is still goey and yummy and the kids loved it. I experimented again becoz I like regular cake mix, cheaper than the s'mores cupcake mix. I reduced the water from 1 1/4 c to 3/4 cup water and the filling from the jar stayed inside. So the thicker the batter the better. 1/3 full batter into the cup, 1 tsp marshmallow creme, then cover with batter and bake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%