How Do I Make Sure My Red Fondant Stays Red?

Decorating By kristinaerin Updated 30 Oct 2009 , 4:59pm by txnonnie

kristinaerin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kristinaerin Posted 29 Oct 2009 , 4:05pm
post #1 of 9

Hi, I need some help from all of you experts out there! What brand of food coloring do you recommend that will not fade quickly? I'm making bright red hearts out of fondant and I want to make sure they stay bright red.
thanks!

8 replies
Malakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Malakin Posted 29 Oct 2009 , 4:44pm
post #2 of 9

Americolor is my choice. I love to airbrush dark colors like red and black though.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 29 Oct 2009 , 4:56pm
post #3 of 9

Keep them in the dark! Seriously, put them in a box and tuck them in a cupboard away from sunlight........even indirect sunlight will fade them, and normally it doesn't fade evenly!

PuffCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PuffCake Posted 29 Oct 2009 , 5:01pm
post #4 of 9

Americolor Super Red. I've never had a problem with it fading.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 29 Oct 2009 , 5:53pm
post #5 of 9

whatever brand you use. keep out of sunlight.. all colors fade...at some point.. i use americolor and wilton and other brands.. keep out of overhead lite and sunlite .. hth

ninatat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ninatat Posted 30 Oct 2009 , 12:33pm
post #6 of 9

i agree, i've had some issues with wilton, purple turning blue, pink fading, i did make red with americolor to, i had red red, in a large batch i had to use alot, but i it was a large batch, i need to order some yikes better get some red and green for Christmas, and the wilton red tastes awful

kristinaerin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kristinaerin Posted 30 Oct 2009 , 4:09pm
post #7 of 9

Thanks everyone!

Renaejrk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Renaejrk Posted 30 Oct 2009 , 4:55pm
post #8 of 9

The Americolor super red is better than the red red, it is more concentrated. You still have to use quite a bit, but way less than other reds. It will stay bright/dark red for what you need it for.

txnonnie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
txnonnie Posted 30 Oct 2009 , 4:59pm
post #9 of 9

I colored mine pink then added the red. Helps get it there faster and less color.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%