Appropriate Resume??

Business By NYCGiGi Updated 30 Oct 2009 , 8:34pm by Dizzymaiden

NYCGiGi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NYCGiGi Posted 29 Oct 2009 , 3:30pm
post #1 of 8

Hi everyone,

So I work in a very corporate environment (46th Floor of a very fancy building in Manhattan type) and so I am very used to the professional finance related resumes that I have dealt with over the last few years. However, I have been working on my cake-decorating portfolio and am to the point where I need to start working on my resume. I am really not sure of the "rules" of this type of resume.

Any ideas and/or anybody willing to post theirs (obviously please white out anything personal)? Thanks so much in advance!

Jessica

7 replies
cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 29 Oct 2009 , 7:14pm
post #2 of 8

Usually food establishments and bakeries - private and grocer/corp. owned place help wanted ads in local newspapers or post openings on their sites. You call they set up an appointment, you bring photos of cakes done, and most times you are asked to decorate a small cake on the spot. Some super high end restaurants or bakeries might ask for a resume, but most just don't. I have worked in grocers, high end restaurants and private bakeries and never once was I asked for my resume.

Edited to add: when I hire someone I never ask for a resume, I want to see their work, I don't care if they have a 3rd grade education. If they can do a cake the way I need them to then the other stuff just doesn't matter. If I do hire them the only other qualification I will request of them is if they have taken a food safety course in the last 2 years, if not then to be hired they must take one.

Dizzymaiden Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dizzymaiden Posted 30 Oct 2009 , 3:01pm
post #3 of 8

Hi cakesdevine:

I just applied at a small bakery/cafe down the street from my home. I work full time at a internet company making good wages but am very unhappy.

One good tip is to talk about your flexability, work ethic and professionalism. It is hard to find loyal staff.

What I did was create a separate resume posting any exerience, education and related projects. But I was able to sell myself by using my office skills such as organization, computer skills, etc.

I have a 2nd interview (hands on) next week - cross your fingers.

Amy

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 30 Oct 2009 , 3:46pm
post #4 of 8

Oooh, Congrats, Amy--keeping fingers crossed for you.

But I have resumes in two different flavors. Flavor number one is my office flavor, finance/customer service work plus entrepreneur--the other flavor is my food industry work plus entrepreneur. They're a blend of both worlds but I highlight whichever field I'm going for at the time.

Tweak the words and experience.

Protecting a company from bad debt is not immediately relevant to producing custom cakes--just list what's relevant to each different type of work force yes?

But still yet each different skill set enhances the other--I don't know.

cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 30 Oct 2009 , 4:37pm
post #5 of 8

Hey Amy,

That is great! Good Luck. Only thing is people can spout all they want that they are a reliable person and have a great work ethic, but the proof will be in the pudding so to speak, and I do check references (they do fill out an employment app that asks about past work history and skills) BUT since I only hire for actual production purposes, It doesn't matter to me if they can type or have computer skills, all they need to be able to do is follow directions well and read, and not be afraid to ask questions!

Dizzymaiden Posted 30 Oct 2009 , 5:54pm
post #6 of 8

I agree that talk is cheap - that is why I let her know I talked mostly of my ability to follow directions, ask questions (like you said), and my sense of urgency to get things done on time!

My cake/baking skills were right there on black and white with references - so she asked me back. But I don't blame business owners for being cautious taking on a non-full time baker - but it is my career goal to own my own little place someday and this is the right track.

Thanks - I love all this feedback!

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 30 Oct 2009 , 6:50pm
post #7 of 8

If you are interested in this job I'd not offer the fact that you want your own place.

icon_biggrin.gif

Dizzymaiden Posted 30 Oct 2009 , 8:34pm
post #8 of 8

I made the slip of saying I wanted a bakery - but covered myself with the truth - not for many years. I would not want to do the same items she makes, they are really yummy, but just not on my dream bakery menu.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%