Business Name Help!!

Business By cakefanatic Updated 4 Nov 2009 , 3:13am by CakeMom75

cakefanatic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakefanatic Posted 29 Oct 2009 , 7:24am
post #1 of 5

Ok, I have a name for my business, but found out that various states have it to. Is it legal to use it also.? I will open a shop in Wyoming.

I called the city hall where they issue the licenses and said it was ok for me to use it. This name I would like to use is not taken at all in the state of Wy.

Thanks...

4 replies
sugarandslice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarandslice Posted 29 Oct 2009 , 8:04am
post #2 of 5

If the people who issue the licences say it's OK then it's OK. You'll need to think about your long-term business plan and whether you will want to expand into other states any time in the future. If so, then maybe find another name. If not, then go for it.

HarleyDee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HarleyDee Posted 29 Oct 2009 , 6:03pm
post #3 of 5

If you know you'll never expand outside of WY, then yes you can use it. But if you think you might want to open shops in different states, then you might want to reconsider your name..

ButtercupMama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ButtercupMama Posted 29 Oct 2009 , 9:01pm
post #4 of 5

Also to keep in mind: the uniqueness of the name... When someone googles it to find you, they're gonna find all these other folks popping up. Don't get lost in a sea of same-namers! Perhaps you could change it up?

Or maybe you're not counting on a lot of online traffic. If not, and you love it, take it! thumbs_up.gif

Good luck! (Love to hear the name, but I understand if you want to stay under the ol' radar!) icon_wink.gif

CakeMom75 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMom75 Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 3:13am
post #5 of 5

Check with US Patent office (uspto.gov). Some states only check within the state if a name is available. Check the NATIONAL trademark registry. If someone has trademarked the name you can't use it. Or you can, but if they find you they can make you cease and desist.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%